Ethos additive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH
Default Ethos additive?

Anyone use this stuff, or just another scam?
http://www.savegastoday.net/

Old 05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs down Re: Ethos additive?

I am immediately suspicious of anything that you add to both your fuel tank and crankcase. Sounds very much like a top oil from back in the sixtys, and that could actually decrease mileage in a hybrid due to decreased viscosity as compared to the 0W-20 oil used normally.

Most likely, it does provide some marginal improvement for old cars with loose rings, so maybe not a scam -- but very bad science for any newer car with low miles -- and some of the claims are very suspect even for the older, high mileage machines.

Also a typically total absence of test data or reports -- just testimonials -- another scam indicator.

RFB

Old 05-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ethos additive?

Originally Posted by FastMover
I am immediately suspicious of anything that you add to both your fuel tank and crankcase. Sounds very much like a top oil from back in the sixtys, and that could actually decrease mileage in a hybrid due to decreased viscosity as compared to the 0W-20 oil used normally.

Most likely, it does provide some marginal improvement for old cars with loose rings, so maybe not a scam -- but very bad science for any newer car with low miles -- and some of the claims are very suspect even for the older, high mileage machines.

Also a typically total absence of test data or reports -- just testimonials -- another scam indicator.

RFB
but.... they have an EPA label on the web site!

Thats sarcasm in case its missed. Like FastMover I think its crap. As I recall in an interview with someone in the government (I believe with the EPA). They've tested HUNDREDS of these kinds of products... they have YET to find one that does anything significant.... and have found many that actually lowered MPG

Old 05-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Talking Re: Ethos additive?

Originally Posted by TeeSter
but.... they have an EPA label on the web site! ...
So does Hummer ... and Peterbilt!
http://www.peterbilt.com/index.aspx

Old 05-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Old Boomer Techie

.... Speaking of which, why isn't Peterbilt on the mileage database?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

This stuff costs nearly $2 per OUNCE to add to your tank.

I'm going to start selling gasoline under the name brand 'tank extender' in 14oz bottles for $1.40 each ( 10 cents an oz ) and tell people I will guarantee it will add 10% to their MPG if they add just 14 ounces per gallon.

Betcha it's gonna sell well!

P.S. It won't be fraud. It will work, and best of all, it will be perfectly legal!

"I Love This Country." - Yakov Smirnoff

Old 05-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide now!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Lt. Green 06 FEH

I used the PTF resins (slick 50) when it first came out many years ago, and did not see anything significant, yet they still sell the stuff at Checker, Azone, etc.... amazing....

Old 05-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

In those ads that show you can run an engine for hours without oil after slick50 treatment, I bet you can run any engine for many hours without oil.

That doesn't make it good for the engine!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Ethos additive?

Originally Posted by grnhybrid
I used the PTF resins (slick 50) when it first came out many years ago, and did not see anything significant, yet they still sell the stuff at Checker, Azone, etc.... amazing....
I used Slick 50 in a 1988 Chevy S-10 when it hit 100,000 miles. Put it in every 50,000 miles and drove that truck 368,000 miles. I can't verify that it was the Slick 50 that made it run so long, but I don't know of anyone else to get that many miles without a major overhaul on the engine.

Re; the Ethos product - They showed tests of before and after readings on emissions and it seem to help burn the gas more efficiently. I am going to try running it my new Hybrid Highlander and I will let you guys know if I see any improvements. It is a natural mineral that is safe and does not void warranty so why not try? I know it only human nature to be doubtful, but I'm willing to try anything that will help the environment and get us away from fossil fuels. Plus I bought the extended 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so why not give it a shot?

Quick Reply: Ethos additive?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands