ev problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question ev problem

i had the red triangle with the exclamation point in the middle come on, when i stopped put it in park and shut the feh down then restarted it the light went out my wife got out the manual and it says it's the master vehicle electrical hazard warning lamp. for a while now i've had a problem sometimes when i start the feh for the whole time it stays running it don't want to drop in ev mode it stays in ice only then the next time i take feh out it acts normal and will drop in like it's susposed to. when i come to a stop-it drops right in to ev i was gonna take it in to have the dealer look at it i think there is a problem with the battery pack and needs to be replaced i think the person i bought the truck from didn't get ev very much because i think he kept his foot into it so it didn't run the battery pack down, so i think that could be the problem. anybody got a suggestion as to what it could be it's a 05' with around 83000. on it it has a 100'000 mile warrenty bumper to bumper.

Last edited by cowboy; 11-01-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: fixed errors
Old 11-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: ev problem

why bother, take it in and have the warranty take care of it. Check to make sure you've had all the recalls done. Get things in line before that 100K hits, or it'll be real expensive.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Check the VIN of this vehicle at the Ford.com owners site to see if the hybrid battery harness recall was performed last Sept./Oct. 2007. It is very unlikely the problem is the hybrid battery itself. The vehicle will not drop into EV until it is above a certain temperature--188 f for cylinder head and 154 f for the radiator water temperature via the scanguage reports. Colder temperatures will/can delay the onset of EV and increase internal battery resistance.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

thanks bill but the problem is if you do not shut the truck down and it is acting up and won't drop into ev mode it will do this all day long, so it's not a temp thing at all. but you know how these dealers are they do not have a hybrid tech to work on these trucks, it's just a reg mechanic they will probaly tell me there is nothing wrong with the feh thats normal, and i know it's not once that truck reaches running temp it should drop right in ev unless it's charging the battery. sometimes i can drive for several miles in ice when i get to a stop light it takes a few seconds to drop inh ev around 20 to 30 seconds but it won't stay for long long it goes right back in ice mode,that in my opinion is too long. my mother has the same truck but a year newer 06 when iv'e taken hers for a ride' when i get to a stop light or sign it drops into ev before i come to a full stop. mine don't always do that when it acts normal it will do that.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cowboy
thanks bill but the problem is if you do not shut the truck down and it is acting up and won't drop into ev mode it will do this all day long, so it's not a temp thing at all. but you know how these dealers are they do not have a hybrid tech to work on these trucks, it's just a reg mechanic they will probaly tell me there is nothing wrong with the feh thats normal, and i know it's not once that truck reaches running temp it should drop right in ev unless it's charging the battery. sometimes i can drive for several miles in ice when i get to a stop light it takes a few seconds to drop inh ev around 20 to 30 seconds but it won't stay for long long it goes right back in ice mode,that in my opinion is too long. my mother has the same truck but a year newer 06 when iv'e taken hers for a ride' when i get to a stop light or sign it drops into ev before i come to a full stop. mine don't always do that when it acts normal it will do that.
There is a "Ford Hotline" for the Escape Hybrid vehicle. If the service department of your Ford dealership does not go this way, then you need to find another dealership that will use this Hotline.