Extended warranty past 100,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Extended warranty past 100,000 miles

Has anyone purchased an extended service (warranty) contract on their FEH that covers them past the 100,000? Mine original is just about to expire and the dealer I purchased the original from called and offered me a warranty that covers an additional 3 years or 48,000 miles. The price is a little under $1500.00. What do you think? That would take me to 148,000 miles and my car would be about 8 years old then. Up to this point, it's been a great car, hopefully it will continue.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Extended warranty past 100,000 miles

That breaks down to $1.37/day or $0.03/mile, which ever comes first. Personally, I would put that $1500. in the bank for anything that "might" happen. Did you use the original warranty you purchased? What did you pay for the warranty and how much has it paid out in claims?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

Hello,

If the extended warranty covered the hybrid battery, it might be worth it (assuming you have not had yours replaced in the first 100K). I hate the fact that, in some states, the hybrid battery is warrantied to 150K (like CA, NY, etc.) but not in OH. This was stupid politics--no technical reason why to do this.

Anyway, I've heard that it may cost $3K to replace that battery....maybe other posters can help here. Otherwise, it might not be worth it.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

This thread is over a year old, but certainly relevant. I'm wondering if anyone has any updates on their experience with an extended warranty beyond 100k miles?

I also have an Escape Hybrid (2008) now with over 90k miles on it. Since buying it new I opted for the mechanical breakdown coverage thru my insurance company, and no, haven't used it yet. I did indeed use the coverage on two previous cars however and it paid for itself because those vehicles needed major repairs. But the Escape has been very good so far. The only reason I was considering extending beyond 100k miles is because of the electrical motor, battery pack and computer controller parts, etc. = unknown quantities.

So, which ext. warranty company did you end up buying from and how is it working out?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayBee9
This thread is over a year old, The only reason I was considering extending beyond 100k miles is because of the electrical motor, battery pack and computer controller parts, etc. = unknown quantities.

The electric motor=MG1 and MG2, the hybrid battery pack=330V pack under the rear cargo floor, the eCVT are all been very reliable. The blend door-MECS pump-coolant lines to the hybrid battery pack-hybrid battery pack fans-electric power steering module and the wear components of the suspension system that will need to be monitored and replaced as needed.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayBee9
This thread is over a year old, but certainly relevant. I'm wondering if anyone has any updates on their experience with an extended warranty beyond 100k miles?

I also have an Escape Hybrid (2008) now with over 90k miles on it. Since buying it new I opted for the mechanical breakdown coverage thru my insurance company, and no, haven't used it yet. I did indeed use the coverage on two previous cars however and it paid for itself because those vehicles needed major repairs. But the Escape has been very good so far. The only reason I was considering extending beyond 100k miles is because of the electrical motor, battery pack and computer controller parts, etc. = unknown quantities.

So, which ext. warranty company did you end up buying from and how is it working out?
I'm not that worried about the hybrid electrical components. I'm worried about the special braking system components, MECS, and such. I have an extended warranty that has basically paid for itself, and I plan to extend it in a few months.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

In Canada at least, the hybrid components are covered for 8 years. Not sure of the mileage. If I were buying another FEH, I'd get an extended warranty. I bought an '09 Limited awd last January. It was from a Ford dealership and seemed to be in excellent condition. Since then it has needed:

- brake job
- ambient temperature sensor
- one blend door actuator motor
- water pump
- one tpms sensor
- steering column (see other post regarding power steering failure)