Exterior mods...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Exterior mods...

I'm wondering if anyone has pics of some exterior mods they have done. Mods such as bigger tires/rim combinations, brush guards etc. I'd love to see these as I am getting one very soon.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Exterior mods...

Look around the Ford Escape Hybrid "Share" section. Tow hitches, graphic kits, exhaust mods, new tires/rims, tint jobs, etc.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

I liked the way Raven's FEH looked, but I wonder if it has full lock to lock steering without tire rub?

Old 01-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Ronin

Raven here... Just for the record... the Red Hybrid with the 'Tear Lighting' graphic belongs to my friend "BadFrog". He has a BDS 2" lift kit, and to get the HUGE Parnelli Jones 31x10.5x16 tires (Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips are really wide for the size) he had to do a slight bit of trimming ~1/16" in one or two spots on the inside plastic edges (cant see it) to make it not rub during a full lock to lock turn AND hard suspension travel. His vehicle is really good offroad. (we have a video on youtube, look for Escape Hybrid Offroad)
Mine is the 'stock' white one with Brigstone Revo's 1 size larger than stock. I have no clearence issues and really good offroad and onroad performance.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Rabid Offroad Enthusiast

One additional thing I had to add to my vehicle to prevent rubbing at full steering wheel travel, and suspension loading, was to add 7mm (about 1/4") offset plates. These are simple aluminum plates that mount over the lug bolts, on the inside of the wheel rim.

I recently (at about 25k miles) replaced my front struts with the Monroe Sensatrac struts, and they are substantially better both on road and offroad then the stock struts. I highly recommend them.

If anyone is thinking of getting the BDS 2" lift kit, I would recommend upgrading the front stock struts at the same time. The additional clearance I get from the lift kit, and tires, increases the offroad capability a great deal, with only a little extra body roll. I can easily drive over a 6" parking block or curb, with a loaded vehicle, and not worry about bottoming out, or dragging on anything.

The Parnelli Jones tires are rated up to 80 psi, I typically run them at about 45 psi. Because of their sidewall construction, they can run down to 12 psi (which is probably only good for very soft sand, or extreme rock crawling, which I do not do ... yet!!).

Old 02-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

FYI - There is a bulletin from Ford on putting larger tires on the FEH and MMH. Basically it says, don't. You can cause a failure of the electric assisted power steering.

bottom of page 11

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...iers_guide.pdf

Old 02-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Rabid Offroad Enthusiast

Mike,
Thanks, I noticed the warning in the modifiers guide also, before I made any upgrades. I suspect the primary issue is extra loading on the power steering at low (or zero) speeds, and also when hitting the limits of steering travel.

I try not to hit the limits left or right, and I also pay attention to situtations where steering torque might be extra high (e.g. trying to steer out of a deep rut at low speeds). I have not had any issues to date with about 28,000 miles, no dtc's, or other indications such as abnormal wearing on the steering components. I suspect I have not grossly overloaded the steering, or I would have seen some impact by now. I still may have issues with longevity, and am prepared for the fact it may wear out sooner.

I bet Ford considers it a good thing, that users actually read these guides, even though some of us (me!), do not always follow the guidelines.

Informally the Ford engineers I have communicated with do not expect any problem with my setup, but by their very nature, engineers are conservative, and so we get the legal warnings.