EZ pass on the FEH

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default EZ pass on the FEH

Can ez-pass be mounted on the windshield? I had an exterior one that someone backed into and now doesn't work. I rather put it inside if it works there.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: EZ pass on the FEH

As long as it is legal in your State, sure. California regulates where on the windshield it goes. I put my FastTrak (same as EZ Pass) on passenger side lower corner so it doesn't bother my vision or get in the way of sensors or airbags.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpcpilot
As long as it is legal in your State, sure. California regulates where on the windshield it goes. I put my FastTrak (same as EZ Pass) on passenger side lower corner so it doesn't bother my vision or get in the way of sensors or airbags.
Is that on the WINDSHIELD lower corner? On the 2008, the entire dash cover flips up when the passenger airbag goes off. You can tell because of the way the plastic on top of the dash is mounted. The only place I felt comfortable mounting my GPS was in the very center, where the connecting piece is very small, and won't hit the windshield when the airbag goes off...

Old 03-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It will actually work from inside the sunglasses pocket in the overhead console....
YES I know it's supposed to be visible, let me know the next time someone is standing there looking for yours as you drive thru.....

Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Is that on the WINDSHIELD lower corner? On the 2008, the entire dash cover flips up when the passenger airbag goes off. You can tell because of the way the plastic on top of the dash is mounted. The only place I felt comfortable mounting my GPS was in the very center, where the connecting piece is very small, and won't hit the windshield when the airbag goes off...
Yes, it is in the lower corner. The airbag door hinges upward from the top of the dash (I've actually had the door opened by border patrol when coming back from a drive in Mexico). The deploying airbag would force the door up from the bottom.

Someone suggested the sunglass storage. While it may actually work there, in California at least, if the EZ Pass or FastTrak is not visible on the windshield, it is a moving violation. The Highway Patrol will often park themselves on the side of the road, just past the FastTrak sensors, looking for windshield violators.

One other point of note. While the lower passenger side mounting of EZ Pass shouldn't pose a hazard for airbag deployment, it is quite common for the deploying airbag to crack the windshield because it throws the door up against it very quickly. That's subject fodder for another forum topic though I guess.

-Tony

Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, it is in the lower corner. The airbag door hinges upward from the top of the dash (I've actually had the door opened by border patrol when coming back from a drive in Mexico). The deploying airbag would force the door up from the bottom.

Someone suggested the sunglass storage. While it may actually work there, in California at least, if the EZ Pass or FastTrak is not visible on the windshield, it is a moving violation. The Highway Patrol will often park themselves on the side of the road, just past the FastTrak sensors, looking for windshield violators.

One other point of note. While the lower passenger side mounting of EZ Pass shouldn't pose a hazard for airbag deployment, it is quite common for the deploying airbag to crack the windshield because it throws the door up against it very quickly. That's subject fodder for another forum topic though I guess.

-Tony
Um, I keep mine in the console and hold it up to the window when I go through the toll booth on the Golden Gate Bridge. I've done this for years.
Are you saying that this is illegal?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMooney
Um, I keep mine in the console and hold it up to the window when I go through the toll booth on the Golden Gate Bridge. I've done this for years.
Are you saying that this is illegal?
Unfortunately yes, according to the California Highway Patrol. It must be visible on the windshield when going through a FastTrak location. I use mine on the 73, 91 and 241 tollroads down here and have used it once or twice on the Golden Gate.

I found out the hard way. I used to keep mine in the console and then toss it on the dash when approaching the FastTrak lane. There was a CHP sitting on the side of the road, turned on his gumballs and pulled me over. Although he let me off with a warning, he said they must be mounted to the windshield in the approve location or risk a moving violation.

A phone call to the CHP office later that day confirmed what he said. It isn't enough to just have it, it has to be properly "affixed" to the windshield.

That being said, it could be that enforcement is just stronger here in SoCal. I see the CHP cars about once or twice a week parked by FastTrak looking for "violators." Gotta love California...

Old 03-31-2009, 05:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Unfortunately yes, according to the California Highway Patrol. It must be visible on the windshield when going through a FastTrak location. I use mine on the 73, 91 and 241 tollroads down here and have used it once or twice on the Golden Gate.
Are they "non-transferrable"? If so that would explain why "properly affixed" is a requirement.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Are they "non-transferrable"? If so that would explain why "properly affixed" is a requirement.

Dunno? Mine came with velcro on the back...

Old 04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

-Tony
Could you cut and paste a link to that law?

Quick Reply: EZ pass on the FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands