FEH/4WD/Scanguage-II

Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default FEH/4WD/Scanguage-II

I don't have a FEH but a '09 Escape 4WD. I've read posts by "BillyK" all over the place about 4WD and the Scanguage-II. I think others have asked similiar questions in at least one thread here. I'm curious, so I'll ask here hoping for an answer!

Posts show pictures of the SG-II shows 47% torque to the rear wheels but nothing is mentioned about poor driving conditions or full throttle take offs from a stop. To my knowledge the FEH 4WD system is the same "on demand" as in other FE's. You need wheel slippage or a full throttle from a stop to engage the rear wheels.

Either the 4WD system in the FEH works altogether differently than a FE or the SG-II isn't really showing rear wheel torque.

There's another thread here about climbing a grade with a 1000# load which also again shows rear wheel torque too.

I'm not knocking BillyK or the SG-II but just curious about the posts, in fact, I might even get a SG-II to play with! I had to come here to chase down the poster.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH/4WD/Scanguage-II

You must be after me! I did not create the scanguage code that displays the AWD torque to the rear wheels. You need to contact Desert Dog (Carl) who has spent hundreds of hours decoding the Escape Hybrid operations. In sunny weather--like today---the scanguage will frequently reveal AWD torque values during highway driving that does not require full throttle or slippage to engage. I can obtain AWD torque values during electric mode function which a non-hybrid Escape can not do.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Billyk
You must be after me! I did not create the scanguage code that displays the AWD torque to the rear wheels. You need to contact Desert Dog (Carl) who has spent hundreds of hours decoding the Escape Hybrid operations. In sunny weather--like today---the scanguage will frequently reveal AWD torque values during highway driving that does not require full throttle or slippage to engage. I can obtain AWD torque values during electric mode function which a non-hybrid Escape can not do.
That's the question! Are you really reading rear wheel torque? There are only so many Ford 4WD/AWD systems and from what I've read, there isn't a special Hybrid 4WD/AWD system.

Just think about it, why are you show rear wheel torque on a sunny day on the highway?? I doubt if that SG-II is "really" showing what you think it is. For one thing, 4WD/AWD would use more power(gas or electric). Kind-of foolish on a Hybrid, right???

Here's a link to the different Ford 4WD systems: http://www.fordfusionforum.com/index...eaded&pid=6557

Last edited by wptski; 04-26-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:31 PM

You need to direct these questions to Carl, not me. I know what the scanguage coding is based upon but you can harsh this out with Carl.

It is not stupid to have AWD on the Escape Hybrid because Ford Motor Company wanted the vehicle not to be "different" in operations than the non-hybrid version. Name:  atanvilskiarea.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  145.0 KB
I chase snow during the winter months to perform silent sport activities.

Last edited by Billyk; 04-26-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Imported from Detroit

No, it's not stupid to have a AWD Hybrid but it is if it's engaged when not needed! This would mean much better MPG on a non-AWD Hybrid for sure. Does Carl frequent this forum? Can you contact him to look at this thread? Better to keep all the info on the open, right?

Either I'm wrong or he is and it doesn't matter if I am.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:27 PM

"Can you contact him to look at this thread?"

You have the power at your fingers to contact him.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Imported from Detroit

"Can you contact him to look at this thread?"

You have the power at your fingers to contact him.
If a stranger PM's you, would you reply? Well, you didn't when I PM'd from another forum about the post you left there!

I'll try anyway.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
If a stranger PM's you, would you reply? Well, you didn't when I PM'd from another forum about the post you left there!

I'll try anyway.
You might as well post that PM here for everyone to see as I checked my PM at the other sites and did not see anything.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Imported from Detroit

You might as well post that PM here for everyone to see as I checked my PM at the other sites and did not see anything.
Okay, here it is. It's short with a link to the thread you posted in. Not sure if the link will work or not.

I may be wrong but still curious! Please reply to my questions about your post: http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-esca...pe-hybrid.html

Corrected link from cop/paste to work here. The PM was sent the same day as my post, 4/19/09.

Last edited by wptski; 04-26-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have a FWD FEH. The only way I was able to do anything wrt 4WD PIDs was to hook 2 scangauges to my FEH and use one of them to emulate the presence of the 4WD module. I had Don (econoline) test out responses to various messages to determine how to do the emulation. From that I was able to hook up to a Ford Diagnostic System and look at the PIDs that were defined for the 4WD module. What I posted was defined as 4wd solenoid duty cycle IIRC and had a maximum value of 100%. If it doesn't represent torque to the rear wheels it would be, I think, at least a good approximation. If enough people use it and provide feedback perhaps it can be corrected if it is indeed wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FEH/4WD/Scanguage-II

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands