FEH, Brakes, regen only question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default FEH, Brakes, regen only question

Is there a way to recognize when regen is max and mechanical brakes begin to allow driver to back off brakes and remain in regen only mode?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH, Brakes, regen only question

Originally Posted by meknowles
Is there a way to recognize when regen is max and mechanical brakes begin to allow driver to back off brakes and remain in regen only mode?
I know of nothing that would indicate this. The Regen brakes work continuously (unless the SOC is maxed out - very rare), so Regen would work at the same time as the normal brakes.

But if you are careful in your acceleration and braking, you will use mostly regen anyway until you get very slow and need to actually stop.

Note that for 2009 and later, Ford programmed the software such that the brake pedal "feel" is similar to a normal braking system.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by meknowles
First of all, Ford does not sell a Explorer Hybrid as you indicate you own in your sig page. In the '05 - '08 FEH you can eliminate the brake pads and only get regen by shifting to "L" gear and letting Off the gas pedal. This will slow you down pretty fast with 100% regen. Ford changed the programming of "L" gear in the '09 & '10 FEH and you mostly get fuel-cut (DFSO) when shifting to "L" gear with a ~1100 RPM idle or higher for engine braking. I've read you use up to 100% of regen in the '09 - '10 FEH before the brake pads are use down to 6mph at which regen is discontinued and the pads take over stopping. This seems to be exactly what my '09 does as I hypermile to get every charge out of regen as I can. You also get regen in "D" during deceleration and no brake pads are being use. I use this technique in P&G to increase battery SoC a little before shifting to neutral for the long Glide. There is no regen in neutral so the battery starts to slowly drain during a long Glide.

There is a Charge/Discharge gauge and an Energy Screen on the Nav. System that will read regen but not tell you if the pads are being applied. A good habit to using the brake pedal for the most regen is to always slow at a slow pace. Hard braking will most always cause the pads to be used. Hypermilers call this "Driving Without Brakes" (DWB) when ever possible.

GaryG

Old 02-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

in a related Note,I have the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with regen. brakes and they have been recalled to update vehicle control modules and programming for regen brakes for possible Failure and going to normal antilock brake use prematurely. Just an data update to latest software takes approx 2 to 3 hours to update @ dealer services,etc. Free of Charge until Feb, 28 tn 2011 no matter milage or Owner,if xfer'd to a new owner from original.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

in a related Note,I have the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with regen. brakes and they have been recalled to update vehicle control modules and programming for regen brakes for possible Failure and going to normal antilock brake use prematurely. Just an data update to latest software takes approx 2 to 3 hours to update @ dealer services,etc. Free of Charge until Feb, 28 tn 2011 no matter milage or Owner,if xfer'd to a new owner from original.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/04/r...on-hybrid-mod/