FEH A/C performance in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH A/C performance in hot weather

Reminds me of a carpool companion who got ticketed for having a protective transparent cover over his rear license plate. His defense to the policeman was "well Pep Boys wouldn't sell that if it was illegal". He got the ticket but I still get a chuckle out of his defense.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
A shop that puts illegal tint on just any car, should be taken to Court.
Gary
It's interesting that you say that as it is actually a misdemeanor* in Florida for a shop to install non-compliant tint. If you know your tint shop people, take a copy of the statute by them and see what their response is. Florida law also requires them to affix a sticker to driver's door jamb certifying the tint in compliant with applicable Florida statutes**. Did they do that ion your car?

When I read your first post about AirBlue, I called 3 Tampa tint shops for pricing/availability. The first one said it was illegal and would not install it. The second one said it was illegal, but if I came by the shop with my vehicle they would be willing to discuss it further, the third just quoted me $250 for the windshield only.

That's when I pulled the current statute and found what I posted above. I have never had an AirBlue or 3M full windshield film equivalent ticket case, but I have had a few where the added dark glare strip tint encroached into the AS/1 area. It's not a huge deal UNLESS the person has something bad in the car or the stop turns into a DUI investigation (both of which are, of course, the driver's fault).

Florida Statute 316.2956 Violation of provisions relating to windshields, windows, and sunscreening material; penalties.—
(1) Any person who operates a motor vehicle on which, after June 20, 1984, material was installed in violation of ss. 316.2951-316.2954 commits a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
(2) The replacement or repair of any material legally installed is not a violation of ss. 316.2951-316.2954.
(3) *Any person who sells or installs sunscreening material in violation of any provision of ss. 316.2951-316.2955 is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Florida Statute 316.2955 Window sunscreening material; compliance labeling; tolerances.—
(1) **Each installer or seller of sunscreening material shall provide a pressure-sensitive, self-destructive, nonremovable, vinyl-type film label to the purchaser stating that the material complies with the provisions of ss. 316.2951-316.2954. Each such installer shall affix the required label to the inside left door jamb of the motor vehicle. In addition, the label shall state the trade name of the material and the installer’s or seller’s business name. Labeling is not required for factory glazing which complies with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205.
(2) Every percentage measurement required by ss. 316.2951-316.2954 is subject to a tolerance of plus or minus 3 percent.
(3) The department shall adopt rules approving light transmittance measuring devices for use in making measurements required by ss. 316.2951-316.2954. A witness otherwise qualified to testify shall be competent to give testimony regarding the percentage of light transmission when the testimony is derived from the use of an approved device. The reading from an approved device is presumed accurate and shall be admissible into evidence in the trial of any infraction arising under ss. 316.2951-316.2954.

Last edited by GatorJ; 09-26-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
It's interesting that you say that as it is actually a misdemeanor* in Florida for a shop to install non-compliant tint. If you know your tint shop people, take a copy of the statute by them and see what their response is. Florida law also requires them to affix a sticker to driver's door jamb certifying the tint in compliant with applicable Florida statutes**. Did they do that ion your car?

When I read your first post about AirBlue, I called 3 Tampa tint shops for pricing/availability. The first one said it was illegal and would not install it. The second one said it was illegal, but if I came by the shop with my vehicle they would be willing to discuss it further, the third just quoted me $250 for the windshield only.

That's when I pulled the current statute and found what I posted above. I have never had an AirBlue or 3M full windshield film equivalent ticket case, but I have had a few where the added dark glare strip tint encroached into the AS/1 area. It's not a huge deal UNLESS the person has something bad in the car or the stop turns into a DUI investigation (both of which are, of course, the driver's fault).
Tint King most likely knows the Statue, but also knows it would be to hard to detect the clear film. They told me Air-Blue comes in a darker tint, but recommended the clear would make it less likely to be pulled over for. They also didn't put a sticker on the door jamb saying it complied with the law. I also now think the strip at the top they replaced was a inch shorter than the one they originally put on. That may of been why they didn't want the windshield to draw attention if I was pulled over. I paid $129 plus tax for the Air-Blue, and it is advertised everywhere including a set-up to demonstrate how much heat is blocked with it, and without it.

The reason I said the shops that put on the illegal tint should go to court was, I was talking about those jobs that have so dark of a tint you can't see in or out of the car. That effects seeing out the rear view mirrors, especially at night.

Gary