FEH and cold weather question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default FEH and cold weather question

Hello,

Interesting forum and I have gotten some good information. After some research, we have decided to purchase a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD. Currently waiting on the delivery of one of the only two I could find in searching dealer inventories in all of Anchorage. Due date--July 13. Anyways, one last question....does anyone have any information on how they do in very cold weather? I can't seem to find much information on how the batteries hold up--starting, warm up periods, etc. Also, does extreme cold affect the mileage numbers? I'd appreciate any help or advice anybody has.

Thanks

Lori

Old 06-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH and cold weather question

I thought there was an optional battery pack heater designed for extreme cold weather operation. However, I haven't been able to find any reference to it in the manual or via Google. Perhaps the dealer would know (Ha Ha!).

Pat

Old 06-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Short answer... yes, it will affect warm up and therefore mileage. The ICE must run to keep the catalytic converter up at operating temperature. So it will take longer to warm up, and since it will cool off quicker, the ICE will need to run more often. That's the main reason it will affect MPG.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mine started fine in Feb-Mar (a day or two below freezing)... as for cost in mileage, hard to say. Mines a 4WD I seem to be getting 31 or so now and I was getting about 28 then.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I just took a look at the climatological data for Anchorage and based on that I would say that you will only have a couple months where you may not see the full benefit of the Escape Hybrid. Extreme cold pretty much prevents the vehicle from going into EV mode but the temperatures in your area don't seem to be much worse than the cold snaps we get here in New England. We had a real cold February and March this year (low single digits for weeks) and I was still able to get around 30 mpg (both of mine are front wheel drive).

As for starting and warmup in cold weather, I wouldn't worry about that. Even in subzero weather it would start right up and after waiting 5 seconds or less I would drive it away - just drive gently until the engine gets to temp. These cars warm up fast and within a mile or two you have heat.

At least you will have some warm weather to break it in.

Enjoy.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:53 AM
Enthusiast

thanks very much to all who answered! I feel even better about our decision now and really looking forward to taking delivery. Most everyone has a plug in block heater for their vehicles in Alaska...below 20 degrees it's good to plug in and warm up the engine for an hour prior to start up. Helps to lower emissions. We stopped by the dealership yesterday and took a tour of some in-stock models and I saw that a block heater was a dealer installed option, so we will definitely be doing that. Thanks again

Old 06-28-2006, 07:54 AM

Hi Lori

My Brother Richard live's in Wasilla, and we have talked about how his weather would not be a place for a hybrid, except for the summer. You will get trouble codes from the Traction Battery Control Module (TBCM) if the battery get's below -40F. I hope you have a warm place to kept it (garage) for those cold all day long nights!

The ideal battery temp is 77-82F, and my regen charging starts to act up around 55F untill the engine get's warm. The summer should give you great MPG in the FEH, but you will need the defrost most of the winter with little to no EV. You can tow the FEH safely in neutral up too 75mph though, do you have a good team of dogs? Just kidding!

Good luck and let us know how a hybrid makes it up there.

GaryG

Old 06-28-2006, 08:00 AM

Lori, here is some news about my Brother just in BTW!
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/matsu...-7802240c.html

GaryG

Old 06-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Living in Michigan, we get some pretty cold days.

With a few weeks in the sub-zero temperatures, with over a foot of snow, I averaged 28-29+ MPGs, a rather large decline from my current summer MPGs (36+ over the last five tanks!) It runs longer at startup, EV's less, and if you spend too much time idling, the ICE may come on to warm things back up. However, I was absolutely amazed by how quickly I got heat. Near instantly, and lots of it. No worries about the cold compartment.

So, yes, you'll take a mileage hit because of the cold, but remember, so does every vehicle.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast

Hello,

I live in an icebox in Montana where it frequently gets in the -20F range and thirties and forties below are not uncommon. i am mean so my abused Escape has to sleep out in the street at all times. Mine came through several below zero periods this past winter with absolutely no problems starting or taking off -- NEVER failed. i bought mine out of state so it did not come with an engine block heater and i have not installed one either but mine always started right up in the cold weather. My experience here is that it costs more to run an engine block heater than the ICE in the Escape anyway. It does take a bit to thaw out in that weather, as with any vehicle, and i have considered a small electric plug in heater to defrost faster, its easier than hanging my head out of the window at 25 below. I did experience lower fuel economy, around 25-26 in the very cold weather since the engine had to run to defrost. i do suggest synthetic lubricants all the way around, i am a true convert to their improved performance in the cold. Here is a link to our climate data if interested! http://www.weather.gov/climate/?wfo=mso http://www.city-data.com/city/Butte-...w-Montana.html

Last edited by mttomb; 06-28-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: FEH and cold weather question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands