FEH and cold weather question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH and cold weather question

Originally Posted by Billyk
Willard has debated his point of view with GPS1man in the past. It has been pointed out to Willard in the past that the hybrid battery temperature also plays a role in what he mentioning. When the hybrid battery temperature is in the normal operating range, things are pretty much normal with the FEH. It is true the colder temperatures do create more "resistance" for battery energy flow but not to the extent that Willard is referring to--hybrid vehicles do not belong in cold environments.

-warm air for the cabin area comes on quickly with my FEH

Sure, if you have a really powerful, power "hungry" aftermarket EBH installed.

I am really careful about the way the HVAC is used in my '01 AWD RX300 since incidents of windshield fogging are so common. When I start out in the morning, EVERY morning, I have the system in "auto" and the setpoint at max heat. Once the coolant temperature reaches 130F the blower comes on LOUDLY and at that point I manually lower the blower speed and switch the system to mixed floor/windshield mode in order to more quickly PREHEAT the windshield above dewpoint.

On a COLD morning it takes about 2-3 miles before the V6 in my RX raises the coolant to 130F.

It should be noted the FEH's engine block heater does have a connection for the hybrid battery's heater. Something the Prius lacks.
Are you saying the engine coolant is used to heat the battery compartment and you rely on convection flow from the EBH to heat the engine and the battery compartment or is that a more complex EBH "connection" than I imagine.

"Something the Prius lacks.."

Or maybe just simply doesn't need..??

The Prius is a much lighter vehicle and undoubtedly with a substantially lower CD vs the FEH/MMH. I guess I thought it was well understood that the FEH/MMH's hybrid battery had to be more robust and therefore required more "care and feeding" (active heating or cooling) over the Prius.

Priuses shipped north of the continental US border do have an electric resistance heater for windshield defrost/defog/demist.

"Ford has a better idea, engine block heaters are standard equipement for shipments to the northern states."

Sorry, just simply don't, cannot, buy into this statement. Ford dealers, NORTHERN dealers, might routinely install, or have installed, an aftermarket EBD, but I sincerely doubt that they are shipped from the factory so equipped.

GPSMAN1...

"Funny, I count 15 or 16 Advantages..."

Would you be so kind as to list for us the 12 or 13 extra advantages of the FEH/MMH you count...?

Last edited by wwest; 06-09-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
Sorry, just simply don't, cannot, buy into this statement. Ford dealers, NORTHERN dealers, might routinely install, or have installed, an aftermarket EBD, but I sincerely doubt that they are shipped from the factory so equipped.
It is listed as a factory option, though I suppose it could be dealer installed instead.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 PM

Here is a link revealing Ford has the engine block heater (option 41H) as standard equipment in the Escape Hybrid for the northern states:
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2008...s_options.html

41H Engine Block Heater - $0
Block heater; Standard in AK, MN, ND, SD, MT, WI and W; Excludes: [41H] Engine Block Heater (Fleet)

There is nothing more I can add to this thread. This information has been discussed in other threads and we do not need to repeat this.