FEH Gas Mileage Gets Better with Miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default FEH Gas Mileage Gets Better with Miles

I just reset the MILE-O-METER on my 2006 FEH last time I filled-up. I have put in over 2700 miles so far and 300 miles after I filled the tank I am averaging 35.2 MPG on the highway on my daily commute. It's only supposed to get 32 MPG on the highway. Is the FEH being short-changed by the EPA? Except for the bad publicity the FEH gets, I don't really care. It just keeps getting better!

I hope Ford is thinking of building a full-size hybrid pickup to counter the SUVs and trucks equipped with the GM/Chrysler/Mercedes "dual-mode" hybrid transmission coming out in 2008. I think Ford can do better with the HSD approach.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH Gas Mileage Gets Better with Miles

It is becoming a well known fact around here that as you cross the 1000, 3000 and even 5000 mile marks the fuel efficiency on these cars keeps going up. A lot of this is due to break-in of the vehicle but a lot of it is also due to driver training - i.e. change in driving style. I have had mine for 17 months now and my mileage is still improving. And that is with 14k miles on it.

It would be interesting to see what could be done in a larger sized SUV with the hybrid system from the Escape. I think the returns would be less due to the additional weight of the vehicle, the added weight of the batteries, etc. Look at the Highlander.

What I would really like to see is a hybrid Focus. I would be waiting at the dealership the day they went on sale and drive one home. That would be a great car for the hybrid system and I bet would be capable of 60+ mpg.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Now that both car and driver are broken in, I get 42 MPG continuous over the highway ( 55-65 MPH range ) and 54 MPG around town on a regular basis.

I think the EPA numbers were very conservative.
Nearly all people beat the HWY number, not so many beat the city figure.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Rumor is that Ford is coming out with an F-150 hybrid (possibly by 2008)except that it will be powered by hydraulics instead of batteries. It is supposed to be up to 3x more efficient, coming in at 60mpg.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/14/f...hybrid-system/

http://www.greencar.com/index.cfm?content=features23

Old 08-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Megageek

I remember reading about one of the early hybrids developed by a college team, which was a hydraulic system that used a 16HP lawnmower engine driving a hydraulic pump and all acceleration was from a hydraulic motor. Sounds pretty cool. I wonder how the electrical system would run? Bigger conventional batteries, or maybe it just doesn't shut off the gas engine?

Old 08-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Early Adopter

There were some experiments with hydraulic drive very early in auto development (like first half of the 20th century). One design I remember reading about put a hydraulic "motor" on each wheel. The problem that made the scheme impractical was leaks from all the various seals, resulting in oil being sprayed all over the place.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wvujeb
Rumor is that Ford is coming out with an F-150 hybrid (possibly by 2008)except that it will be powered by hydraulics instead of batteries. It is supposed to be up to 3x more efficient, coming in at 60mpg.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/14/f...hybrid-system/

http://www.greencar.com/index.cfm?content=features23
I've been reading the blogs on this subject and have come to the following conclusions:
1. There are significant benefits from a "hydraulic" hybrid system, but the efficiency gains are in the 55 - 60% range, NOT 60 MPG (see the EPA fact sheet from the link below):
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/technology/420f04019.pdf

Further gains of 30 - 40% can be achieved by substituting a diesel engine of modest (3.8L) displacement for the Expedition's gas engine without impacting performance.

2. The technology is available NOW, at low cost (approximately $600 for the hydraulic regenreative braking and assist system - less than what the diesel option would cost)

3. With a diesel - hydraulic hybrid powertrain, a vehicle in the Expedition's weight class can more than double the EPA City rating (highway is only slightly improved)
4. Cutting the diesel engine's displacement in half only improves efficiency by 1 MPG while imposing a significant performance penalty.- I would stick with the 3.8L or I would even opt for a slightly bigger diesel.

5. I would buy one tomorrow if it became available. If Ford's corporate executives don't bring this product on the market ASAP, they would be fools!