FEH-Hard speed limit for no EV Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 04:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default FEH-Hard speed limit for no EV Mode?

Hi,

I have a 2008 FEH AWD and I was wondering if speed is a controlling factor in the ability to stay in EV even if all other parameters are okay. For example, if I'm cruising along in EV mode at 27 miles per hour with a full battery on a straight and level road and I slowly increase my speed, at 30 mph I kick over to gas mode no matter what. I monitor amp draw and from experience I am pretty sure that I as long as I stay under 50 amps that factor won't cause gas mode. All other things being considered it really looks like there is a hard cap for EV at 30 mph. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks

Mitch

Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH-Hard speed limit for no EV Mode?

I had the same problem, I thought 30 was in impossible barrier, even tho I know it's supposed to be able to go up to 40mph.

Finally after setting the Sg to AMP, I noticed if I was drawing somewhere around 30A+ when passing thru 30mph = ICE on; if I could get past 30mph [with a lowere amp] I could get all the way to 40mph, even exceeding 30A draw, but only after 30mph.

This is just my observation tho, no way of knowing what the hard/soft coding in the FEH is. But try it and see if you get the same results.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by UNYFED
Hi,

I have a 2008 FEH AWD and I was wondering if speed is a controlling factor in the ability to stay in EV even if all other parameters are okay. For example, if I'm cruising along in EV mode at 27 miles per hour with a full battery on a straight and level road and I slowly increase my speed, at 30 mph I kick over to gas mode no matter what. I monitor amp draw and from experience I am pretty sure that I as long as I stay under 50 amps that factor won't cause gas mode. All other things being considered it really looks like there is a hard cap for EV at 30 mph. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks

Mitch
Even with the FWD with the tires at 50psi it hard to accelerate from 30 to 35mph in EV. It can be done all the way to ~39mph in the FWD but that's with no headwind and a tailwind sure makes it easier. The fact of the matter is I find it best to cruise at 35mph in EV by going EV at a higher speed and set the CC at 35mph. I'm sure the AWD FEH has just a little to much drag to accelerate in EV to 35mph unless those tires are up there in psi.

GaryG

Old 05-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is a photo of fuel cut at 49 mph and the scanguage displaying the EV details:
Name:  fuelcutwithinsertfeb709.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  73.9 KB

There are special circumstances in which one can obtain EV/fuel cut above 40 mph with long downhill runs being the primary one.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You can have fuel cut ( engine spins without fuel or spark ) at any speed.

You can only have true EV mode ( engine stops spinning ) at 39.9 MPH or lower.

You can probably get an AWD to drop into EV on a deceleration at ~39 MPH.
I've heard it's very hard to get one up to 39 MPH on the acceleration side.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast

I can get into EV mode under 40 on the downhill pretty easily, it's just accelerating to anything above 30 that seems impossible. I guess the bottom line is that even if I could find the sweet spot (if there is one) to accelerate into EV over 30 it would have to be done so slowly that it would be unuseable anyway. Thanks for the thoughts all.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

I can get up to maybe 32, but generally 30 is about the limit.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wh4tig0t
I can get up to maybe 32, but generally 30 is about the limit.
If you go past 40, then drop to ev on the way down, can you hold 35 or so? I can do this anytime I need to in my 2006 FEH 4wd.

Accellerating through 30 is more difficult, but doable. In general, it is a wast of soc to bother however. Better to pulse on past 35, then glide back to 35 and try to hold on to it for as long as you can.

What I hate is that the slightest pavement irregularity can cause me to drop out of ev, because the throttle is so persnickity....

Mark

Old 05-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMooney
If you go past 40, then drop to ev on the way down, can you hold 35 or so? I can do this anytime I need to in my 2006 FEH 4wd.

Accellerating through 30 is more difficult, but doable. In general, it is a wast of soc to bother however. Better to pulse on past 35, then glide back to 35 and try to hold on to it for as long as you can.

What I hate is that the slightest pavement irregularity can cause me to drop out of ev, because the throttle is so persnickity....

Mark
Yeah i can do all that no problem, but what I meant was with 4wd accelerating much past 30 doesn't happen. And yeah like you said it is a waste of your SOC.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input all.