FEH "High Motor Temperature"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default FEH "High Motor Temperature"

I saw there was a conversation about the "High Motor Temperature" guage coming on in some people's FEH's last April. After over 100,000 on my 2005 I have just had this problem start. I have dropped it off at the dealer, but I am curious as to whether anyone had this problem finally solved, what the solution was, and perhaps how much it cost to ultimately fix the problem.

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH "High Motor Temperature"

You need to provide more information about your vehicle such as:
  • are you the "only" owner of this vehicle and what is the service history
  • what were you doing (driving and weather conditions) when this incident occurred
  • do you have a monitoring device such as a scanguage device and can post various vehicle component values

Old 08-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

I am the only owner. I have had virtually no troubles (only basic maintenance). I was driving on the highway. Mild to warm weather.

Dealer says it is my electric water pump and that it needs to be replaced.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ethan
Dealer says it is my electric water pump and that it needs to be replaced.

Dealer is right. It happened to me at ~70,000. Cost about $600. Part was ~$280, and labor plus "diagnostics" was the rest.

If I had to do it again, I'd have ordered the part, and done it myself. It's a really easy part to change. One bolt, two hoses. And some fluid.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM

Is this the MECS pump that was being discussed in another thread? I think Bill W. recommended replacing it proactively at 50k miles?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:49 AM

econoline, thanks for the mention.

After a career in ship propulsion plant operation & maintenance, and reading the posts where people had a failure of the M/E pump at or after 50k, I chose to replace it on spec. The old one was not giving me problems or anything like that, but, you know, having a failure on the road is just a pain.

So I replaced it.

Got a really good price from a Ford dealer in Nevada, about $165 plus shipping or about $195 in toto. Piece of cake to put in, one plug, two bolts, & two hoses.

Note that as you refill the M/E system you have to vent the transaxle side of the system. Its easy, just refill until coolant comes out the plug you pull, tighten the plug and continue filling. Finally top up as needed after filling (I did not have to add any coolant having vented the transaxle).

Took me maybe a half an hour (doing it for the first time).