FEH-MMH out of gas & dead battery questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default FEH-MMH out of gas & dead battery questions

If the FEH runs out of gasoline, can the car be driven to a gas station on the HV batteries (if yes, approximately what distance).

If the FEH's ICE 12 volt battery is completely discharged, can the vehicle be started and driven via some utilization of the HV pack?

Old 05-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH-MMH out of gas & dead battery questions

Originally Posted by HeloCaptain
If the FEH runs out of gasoline, can the car be driven to a gas station on the HV batteries (if yes, approximately what distance).

Yes, I believe John (GPSman1) did just this in the recent past and could only go 22mph for 1 mile or (with a full hybrid battery charge), then 10mph for less than a mile and then the thing just wound down like a top.

If the FEH's ICE 12 volt battery is completely discharged, can the vehicle be started and driven via some utilization of the HV pack?
NO if the 12V is too weak or dead. One can attempt to jump start the 12v via hybrid battery.

Last edited by Billyk; 05-28-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by HeloCaptain

Can't answer your first question but to the second, the HV battery pack can be used to "jump start" the 12 volt battery pack. Read the manual (it's available online if you Google).

Old 05-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Can't answer your first question but to the second, the HV battery pack can be used to "jump start" the 12 volt battery pack. Read the manual (it's available online if you Google).
Yes, you can continue for a little while in EV before an LOS kicks in and drastically limits your speed. Depending on where your SoC is when you run out of gas, you could go as much as 2-3 miles before the car stops altogether.

You cannot jump start the 12V battery from the HV battery. It is the other way around. You can jump start the 12V battery from any other 12V car battery. You only need enough juice to close the contactors in the HV battery to start the car.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You need 12v to "turn on" the big battery, then the 330v battery starts the car.
Once started, ( or jump started ) you can drive forever with a dead 12v, or even missing 12v battery. I do not recommend it because it sets off warnings, but I did drive for several miles without a 12v battery even installed, just to see if I could. You can.

I have run out of gas also ( on purpose ) just to see what would happen when my car was new. It let me drive for about 2 miles at a maximum speed of 22 MPH. Then the car slowed down like a toy car with low batteries.... 20, 15, 10, 5 mph.... then nothing.

In the city, you are normally within 2 miles of a gas station.
FYI, you can go about 30 to 35 miles (on gas) past when your car says empty or 0 Miles to Empty. -John

Old 05-29-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I have run out of gas also ( on purpose ) just to see what would happen when my car was new. It let me drive for about 2 miles at a maximum speed of 22 miles per hour. Then the car slowed down like a toy car with low batteries.... 20, 15, 10, 5 miles per hour.... then nothing.
John, how low did your SoC get at the end?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
John, how low did your SoC get at the end?
Funny--I was going to ask the same thing! (although I am guessing that since he did this when the car was new, it was before the Scan Gauge could read Soc)...

Old 05-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

No SG at the time. It was way below 40%. The Nav picture is all black at 40% and I drove a long time after that. The car needs to store enough reserve to restart the car. Which it did start easily after I filled up.

My guess is ~20% but that is only a guess, but should be close.

If it takes 2 miles to go from 60% to 40% ( and it does ) and I went 2 miles past 40%, I think 20% is a good guess. Don't you think?

-John

Old 05-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast

John, thank you for an easy to understand and "on-point" response.