FEH Oil Capacity Urgent Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default FEH Oil Capacity Urgent Question

Hello:

Changed the oil and filter this weekend with Motorcraft parts.

The dip stick says FULL with 4.0 quarts in the ICE. But, the manual says the ICE takes 4.5 quarts. SWMBO went to work today. Got home, dip stick still says full with 4.0 quarts.

Is the dip stick wrong, manual wrong or what? I'm in panic mode!

Ol' school VW guy here - DO NOT over fill motor unless you want to blow ALL the seals in the ICE. But I don't want to starve the top end or fry the FEH's ALUMINUM ICE either.

(Heads up DIYer's: Need a 74mm x 14-flat oil filter cap wrench. Napa doesn't have it, AutoZone does, Schucks I don't know. Autozone - 'OEM Industrial' Brand - PN25401.)

HELP - TIA
Steve Vegos
Oregon

Last edited by spud; 09-11-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: FEH Oil Capacity Urgent Question

Yeah... I pretty much noticed the same thing. Mine is fine with 4.0 quarts. ( Mobil 1 I might add... ) About 5,000 miles later I'll add another 0.5 quarts if it is borderline on low.

Agree with you... it's better to be half a quart low, than over.

I'll bet that 'technically' from the factory on a "dry" engine it takes 4.5 quarts.
You ( nor I ) probably can't get the last 0.5 qt. out when we drain.

Just check often. If the oil is anywhere between the lines, no worries!

Old 09-12-2006, 04:42 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

Did you change the filter? I can see a half a quart (one pint) or so in the filter.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: FEH Oil Capacity Urgent Question

When I checked the manual, I thought it had a higher figure for a "dry" engine and the 4.5 qts for the "change with filter change". I'll check again tonight.

Anyway (also an old VW'er) I did my first change on my 06 FEH4WD about 3000 mi ago and put in the 4.5 and noticed no issues. I did notice a fair amount of oil drained as I removed the filter housing and the old filter, even after I had already removed the small "drain" plug on the bottom of the filter housing with the 6mm hex. Sounds like you removed everything during your change as well. [I don't like to rely on the (fidelity of the) dipstick measurement on todays cars]. Did you replace both O-rings as well?

I used the 5W-20 (synthetic blend) that Ford sells and that probably came in the truck. Will probably switch to full synth at the next change - AMSOil or Mobil1.

Since the Atkinson cycle design relies more on the linkage to the crank to operate the valve train.....I'm guessing that it is less sensitive to top end oil "starving" than a typical overhead cam engine.

Thanks for doing the legwork on the tool for the oil filter housing...I was about to start looking for one.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yup, changed the filter and O rings along with the oil. All Motorcraft parts as recommend by the manual.

Since it's an aluminum cast block there just may be +/- half quart hanging on inside. But I'm weary about the dipstick being accurate also, it's a twisted blade. How accurate can that be? Me too, I would rather be shy of full than over full.

glennb - Where did your stick read with 4.5 qts. added? At-full hole, at-full line, a bit above line? Maybe the last half quart is 'wide' in the ICE and not linear on the stick?

Take Care
Steve
Oregon

Last edited by spud; 09-12-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spud
Ol' school VW guy here -

(Heads up DIYer's: Need a 74mm x 14-flat oil filter cap wrench.
I wonder if there is a connection between old VW enthusiasts and hybrid car enthusiasts? I'd be willing to bet there is. My first half a dozen cars were VW Beetles before I caught the Ford bug. I have a nice '68 in the garage waiting to be driven.....probably have less than 30 hours on a nice motor I had built.

On topic - that filter housing will come off by hand. None of my wrenches fit it so off I went, by hand. Just make sure you don't have any oil on your hands and it does take some serious hand strength but it can be done. It gets easier after the first few changes.

Both of mine read dead on with 4.5 quarts added after oil/filter change. I do let mine drain for at least 30 minutes - oil pan open and filter off.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:58 PM

Ray, you know I've been on GH long enough to remember your first oil change and taking that filter off with your bare hands. You don't mine when we meet sometime, I refuse to shake your hand do you?

After buying two different filter wrenches to fit my filter housing, I found one at Walmart called the "6 in I wrench" that will work on my FEH. It is orange and gets smaller as it slide onto the filter. You use a 3/8" ratchet and extension to turn the wrench on and off.

I recommend never putting in more than 4.5qts, and my dip stick is always in the middle between Add and Max. I use Mobil 1 5-20W every 8,000 miles now. Some of you with cold winters may want to use Mobil 1 0-20W, which meets all of the specs except the 5-20W only requirement. For this reason and the heat here, I will only use 5-20W myself.

When I change my oil, I make sure the engine is not hot and not cold. I change the filter first, and clean the area with a rag and replace the filter with new 0-Rings coated with new oil. I drain the pan next to a slow drip (maybe 5 min. total) and replace the plug. Then I add 4.5qts and start the ICE for 30 seconds to remove from ramps and shut down. Check for leaks and oil level between Add and Max and good to go.

The local oil change company (Jiffy etc) will take your used oil and recycle it for their customers to pay top dollar for it. I save my old oil in a 5 gallon water jug and take it to them to dispose for free.

It's funny, you paid for a disposal fee to filter the oil you drain, only to pay for oil you paid to filter.

GaryG

Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Checked it again tonight and there is no 'full-line' just a hole on my stick, still full though.

Sounds like gpsman1 and I are +/- full at 4 quarts. glennb and nitramjr are +/- full at 4.5 quarts. GaryG is a half quart low at 4.5 quarts.

Unless there's a whole bunch of variation in the block castings the stick may be a problem. So maybe at the next oil change drain till it stops dripping, add 4.5 quarts and try to tweak/calibrate the stick!

nitramjr: Bet you're right, there's a serious correlation to VW's and hybrid owners. Gotta '65 with a sunroof (tin roof, not the rag) in the garage waiting for some free time. 82mm crank, 912 rods, IRS rear end all waiting to go in. Kids and work...yeah yeah, we all know that one...

Take Care
Steve
Oregon

Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: FEH Oil Capacity Urgent Question

In my copy of the (electronic) shop manual, Page 303-01C-1 entitled "Engine - Hybrid 2.3L" is a General Specifications page.

At "Oil capacity" it says "4.1 qts. + 0.4 qt. with filter"

My copy of the manual was last updated 12/15/2005 and is for 2006 Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrid.

During my one oil change experience I used 4.5 qts (measured) and was not over Max on the dip stick.

[BTW, owned and operated a 1967 and a 1969 Type I VW, both well used. Continuously in search of the right 1968 convertible to rebuild and restore. ]

Old 09-13-2006, 07:52 AM

Hi Steve

I don't consider that after I fill the ICE with 4 1/2 quarts that I'm a half quart low. The level on my stick is "right on" between Max and Add. If you think the oil level must be at Max to be full, I think that is incorrect.

When I first changed my oil in the FEH at 6,000 miles, I checked the level before I dumped the old oil. The level then read the same and I thought the FEH was using oil or the factory did not fill to 4.5qts. When I brought my concerns to this board over a year ago, everyone stated that their FEH didn't use a drop of oil. Sure enough, after three oil changes now, that is the proper level on the stick. My FEH came from the factory with the correct level and does not drink a drop of oil.

Be careful not to add more than 4.5qts to the ICE because that would be overfilling and could damage the ICE. One guy on the FEH Yahoo site had a dealership overfill his FEH and it would smoke when he went up a hill. This meant oil was entering the combustion chamber which could very well damage the entire ICE, sensors and the CAT. Where the level rises on the stick at 4.5qts is where you should stay and never add anymore. As far as draining the oil, I wouldn't be concerned about much oil remaining in the engine unless the front of the vehicle is tilted down alot. The ICE is designed to drain the oil and filter properly and a few drops will not add to the level.

RandyKato brought up an excellent point about how the electric motors take the load off the ICE to give it time to circulate the oil and reduce emissions after a key start up. You can really see this in the morning by watching the Charge/Assist gauge. On my Scangauge, the engine load normally has to be at 100% before the electric motors assist the ICE for power and torque. The electric motor assist is being used at around 72% engine load during warm up to protect the ICE and emissions.

The FEH and MMH are very well thought out and proper lubrication has been addressed. I just don't want anyone to think their vehicle needs more than 4.5qts and add oil that may damage the ICE.

GaryG

Quick Reply: FEH Oil Capacity Urgent Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands