FEH seats change over the years?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default FEH seats change over the years?

Seats are a big deal to me due to back problems. I have rented and driven a (I believe) 2009 and was fine with its power, cloth seats. Do the older models have the same seats? There aren't many older ones available for me nearby to check out, hence the question. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH seats change over the years?

This is from memory, but I drove a 2009 Ford Escape V6 last August. A rental. Just two weeks ago I drove three 2005-2006 Escape Hybrids. If my memory serves me well, the 2009 did have different seats. Not only due to fabric, but feel also. Also the 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid that we just bought also seems/feels to have a bit different seats.

But because these are 4-5 year old cars with varying degree of miles, the seats could be just worn out differently. Naturally the cloth/leather differences make a difference in feel.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Our 2009 FEH seats are more comfortable that the 2008 FEH we sold.
Both were leather, the 2009 seems softer and more willing to form around you as you sit in them.

There is nothing else in the 2009 that I like better than the 2008, including the significantly worse fuel mileage it gets.

Hope this info helps,
Sean

Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Our 2009 FEH seats are more comfortable that the 2008 FEH we sold.
Both were leather, the 2009 seems softer and more willing to form around you as you sit in them.

There is nothing else in the 2009 that I like better than the 2008, including the significantly worse fuel mileage it gets.

Hope this info helps,
Sean
Do I understand that your 2009 gets worse MPG than the 2008?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Yes Steve, unfortunately that is the case after 30k miles with the 09.

The 2.5 does have more pep hands down, but it comes at a significant cost.
If I wanted a faster vehicle, I wouldn't have bought an escape in the first place.

Before I get flamed by those that never go over 2,000rpm let me add this disclaimer.

We are normal everyday drivers. We get in and press the gas to go and the brakes to stop...

My wife does 90% of the driving. She has the same job and travels the same route as she did with the 08.

The 09 is used 95% of the time on city streets in mild traffic. Max mph is 50, normally 35-40.

We take the 09 to Orlando occasionally on weekends, which is all highway about 125 miles each way. Anything over 65 and the mph falls below the epa rating.

In the summer, the 09 gets stuck on that 2500 rpm crap which costs a ton of mpg.

There are many more issues that I feel are a step backwards from the 2008, but they are annoyances more than anything.

If you try hard and hypermile, the 09 will show some numbers, but drive both normally and I feel the 08 will beat the mpg hands down. We both wish we had kept the 08 instead of buying the 09.

Just my .02

Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes Steve, unfortunately that is the case after 30k miles with the 09.

The 2.5 does have more pep hands down, but it comes at a significant cost.
If I wanted a faster vehicle, I wouldn't have bought an escape in the first place.

Before I get flamed by those that never go over 2,000rpm let me add this disclaimer.

We are normal everyday drivers. We get in and press the gas to go and the brakes to stop...

My wife does 90% of the driving. She has the same job and travels the same route as she did with the 08.

The 09 is used 95% of the time on city streets in mild traffic. Max mph is 50, normally 35-40.

We take the 09 to Orlando occasionally on weekends, which is all highway about 125 miles each way. Anything over 65 and the mph falls below the epa rating.

In the summer, the 09 gets stuck on that 2500 rpm crap which costs a ton of mpg.

There are many more issues that I feel are a step backwards from the 2008, but they are annoyances more than anything.

If you try hard and hypermile, the 09 will show some numbers, but drive both normally and I feel the 08 will beat the mpg hands down. We both wish we had kept the 08 instead of buying the 09.

Just my .02
Wow, I think you are the first to report lower MPG with the 2009. I've been wishing I'd waited and bought one instead of my 2008. Have you tried the usual "normal" techniques, like gradual braking and trying to make sure you don't rush to a red light?

I hate that "over 96 degree and raise the RPM" junk myself. Sure, you can get past it by not using the A/C, but that is not usually possible, even here in LA. I used to life in FL, and A/C is vital in the summer.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Wow, I think you are the first to report lower MPG with the 2009. I've been wishing I'd waited and bought one instead of my 2008. Have you tried the usual "normal" techniques, like gradual braking and trying to make sure you don't rush to a red light?

I hate that "over 96 degree and raise the RPM" junk myself. Sure, you can get past it by not using the A/C, but that is not usually possible, even here in LA. I used to life in FL, and A/C is vital in the summer.
Sean got his '09 when Florida mandated E10 around May of 2008. That alone would explain his poor gas mileage hypermiling or not. I've hypermiled the '08 FWD FEH with straight gas here in Florida and it's no where as good as my '09 using E10. My '05 dropped a good 5mpg from straight gas to E10. I'm sure my '09 FEH lifetime MPG would be near 60mpg if I could buy straight 87 octane in Florida. Running the A/C puts an even bigger drag on the FEH engine with E10 so I think it's his main issue, not the model year.

The '09 FEH is loaded with electronics and that may be another reason Sean and his wife get worse MPG. I know just running my headlights I see a drop in mileage because the generator is running so hard to keep the 12V system charged. Also, Ford made the transition from EV to engine running in the '09 FEH much smoother by using the electric motors more during the transition. This also drains the battery more than earlier FEH models.

Sean and I drive pretty much on flat roads and near the same temperatures so I bet his "LIMITED" FWD FEH will get the same mileage as my '09 with me driving. I think he has running boards so I might get slightly less.

GaryG

Old 02-09-2010, 05:14 PM

I completely agree that Gary could get the same mpg's out of our 09 that he does with his. I don't think there is anything "defective" causing the drop in mileage.

Problem is, we don't and won't drive like he does to get that kind of mileage.
We didn't buy the hybrid to hypermile it, just to drive it.
Yes, they both got "good" mpg's considering the fact that they are shoeboxes in the wind and heavy. My post is simply a comparison between the two.

I am almost certain we sold the 08 with around 13,000 miles. So we had plenty of time to get to know both of them. There were some things right off the bat that really sucked on the 09 compared to the 08. It was unfortunate to have to "give up" some stuff when going to the newer model.

We can discuss and lay blame on whatever part of the 09 we choose, but the bottom line is the gas mileage in the 2.5 09 sucks compared to the 2.3 in the 08.

We buy gas at the same stations as always, and the pumps have always had the "this pump uses x% ethanol" stickers on them, so I'm not buying into any change in Ethanol deal. The experiences we had with the 08 were late summer into "winter" anyways, which would have had the ethanol blend.

But you BOTH probably know more about the fuels and blends regardless, I'm just stating what we are experiencing in the 09 vs the 08. We have owned both.

If you are asking my opinion Steve, keep your 08. You get the best of both worlds with the new body style, the smaller cubes, different programming and yes, a MUCH better navigation and HEV screen than the 09! (if you have nav) lol...

Sean

Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 AM

I completely agree that Gary could get the same mpg's out of our 09 that he does with his. I don't think there is anything "defective" causing the drop in mileage.

Problem is, we don't and won't drive like he does to get that kind of mileage.
We didn't buy the hybrid to hypermile it, just to drive it.
Yes, they both got "good" mpg's considering the fact that they are shoeboxes in the wind and heavy. My post is simply a comparison between the two.

I am almost certain we sold the 08 with around 13,000 miles. So we had plenty of time to get to know both of them. There were some things right off the bat that really sucked on the 09 compared to the 08. It was unfortunate to have to "give up" some stuff when going to the newer model.

We can discuss and lay blame on whatever part of the 09 we choose, but the bottom line is the gas mileage in the 2.5 09 sucks compared to the 2.3 in the 08.

We buy gas at the same stations as always, and the pumps have always had the "this pump uses x% ethanol" stickers on them, so I'm not buying into any change in Ethanol deal. The experiences we had with the 08 were late summer into "winter" anyways, which would have had the ethanol blend.

But you BOTH probably know more about the fuels and blends regardless, I'm just stating what we are experiencing in the 09 vs the 08. We have owned both.

If you are asking my opinion Steve, keep your 08. You get the best of both worlds with the new body style, the smaller cubes, different programming and yes, a MUCH better navigation and HEV screen than the 09! (if you have nav) lol...

Sean
I could care less how you drive and spend you money for gas. The fact is I've been posting about the effects and availability of ethanol in Florida for about 4 years on GH. Prior to the Florida mandate, I filled-up on E10 about 4 times and the pumps were not marked or required to be marked "This Gas Contains 10% or Less Ethanol". I hated when the station owner filled his tanks with E10 and didn't mark the pumps. Within a few blocks of the station I could tell the effects of ethanol in my '05 FEH from straight gas every time. I posted about it every time here on GH because I was so mad about it. It took about 3 tanks of straight gas to clear up the KAM computer to adjust back to straight gas air/fuel ratios and get my mileage back to normal.

Nothing wrong with the way you drive, my wife and kids drive the same way. I have 2 FEH's and one Explorer I tow my boat with and I know the effects of E10 in all of them. Just before the Florida mandate on ethanol, Channel 25 (Fox News) did a story on me and Hypermiling. They ask me to pull into this Chevron Station so they could interview me next to a gas pump. The owner of the station wanted to know what we were doing and I got a chance to talk to him about switching gas to E10 before the mandate. He said he was required now to mark his pumps by the end of the month and all he could sell was E10 after that. I knew my '05 FEH was seeing its last days with straight gas and the lifetime MPG of 45mpg was over. If I work real hard at hypermiling the '05, I could only get a 42mpg tank on ethanol compared to a 50 mpg tank I was getting before the mandate. My hypermiling hobby in my '05 FEH crashed and burned on E10 for me.

Your completely wrong about the '09 FEH getting worse mileage than the '08 FEH. My wife was averaging ~30mpg in my '05 FEH with straight gas and now she is averaging 23 to 24mpg on E10. On the other hand, the '09 FEH has a record 51mpg lifetime average in 19,000 miles right now on E10. That's over 6mpg over my record '05 FEH on straight gas. In fact, my '09 FEH has the highest lifetime average over EPA combined city/highway of any hybrid on this planet. That includes the Prius and Honda Insight using straight gas. There is one '07 Prius with a 50/60mpg EPA rating, but he is using the '08 Prius EPA rating of 45/48mpg and straight gas. I'm at 156% of EPA right now, but I expect to be at 165% this time next year. The '09 FEH simply ROCKS!

GaryG

Old 02-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: FEH seats change over the years?

and yes, a MUCH better navigation and HEV screen than the 09! (if you have nav) lol...

Sean
I just want to know what's the diff about the nav screen?.... did it not get DVD and no longer need a CD for the maps? or did it get smaller in the 09. I know I too would like a bigger screen.

Quick Reply: FEH seats change over the years?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands