FEH seats change over the years?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH seats change over the years?

Originally Posted by GaryG

The '09 FEH is loaded with electronics and that may be another reason Sean and his wife get worse MPG. I know just running my headlights I see a drop in mileage because the generator is running so hard to keep the 12V system charged. Also, Ford made the transition from EV to engine running in the '09 FEH much smoother by using the electric motors more during the transition. This also drains the battery more than earlier FEH models.

GaryG
I have daytime running lights enabled on my 2008. I suppose that hits my MPG as well. But I still prefer to have them on.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:55 PM

I could care less how you drive and spend you money for gas. The fact is I've been posting about the effects and availability of ethanol in Florida for about 4 years on GH. Prior to the Florida mandate, I filled-up on E10 about 4 times and the pumps were not marked or required to be marked "This Gas Contains 10% or Less Ethanol". I hated when the station owner filled his tanks with E10 and didn't mark the pumps. Within a few blocks of the station I could tell the effects of ethanol in my '05 FEH from straight gas every time. I posted about it every time here on GH because I was so mad about it. It took about 3 tanks of straight gas to clear up the KAM computer to adjust back to straight gas air/fuel ratios and get my mileage back to normal.

Nothing wrong with the way you drive, my wife and kids drive the same way. I have 2 FEH's and one Explorer I tow my boat with and I know the effects of E10 in all of them. Just before the Florida mandate on ethanol, Channel 25 (Fox News) did a story on me and Hypermiling. They ask me to pull into this Chevron Station so they could interview me next to a gas pump. The owner of the station wanted to know what we were doing and I got a chance to talk to him about switching gas to E10 before the mandate. He said he was required now to mark his pumps by the end of the month and all he could sell was E10 after that. I knew my '05 FEH was seeing its last days with straight gas and the lifetime MPG of 45mpg was over. If I work real hard at hypermiling the '05, I could only get a 42mpg tank on ethanol compared to a 50 mpg tank I was getting before the mandate. My hypermiling hobby in my '05 FEH crashed and burned on E10 for me.

Your completely wrong about the '09 FEH getting worse mileage than the '08 FEH. My wife was averaging ~30mpg in my '05 FEH with straight gas and now she is averaging 23 to 24mpg on E10. On the other hand, the '09 FEH has a record 51mpg lifetime average in 19,000 miles right now on E10. That's over 6mpg over my record '05 FEH on straight gas. In fact, my '09 FEH has the highest lifetime average over EPA combined city/highway of any hybrid on this planet. That includes the Prius and Honda Insight using straight gas. There is one '07 Prius with a 50/60mpg EPA rating, but he is using the '08 Prius EPA rating of 45/48mpg and straight gas. I'm at 156% of EPA right now, but I expect to be at 165% this time next year. The '09 FEH simply ROCKS!

GaryG
Gary,
The only thing I see you proving is that for you as a "master" hypermiler the 09 can be vastly better. That doesn't mean that others, who do not hypermile, will have the same results.

If E10 has been mandated for several years in FL, then 08FEH would have been using it in his 2008 FEH, before he switched to the 2009 FEH.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I have daytime running lights enabled on my 2008. I suppose that hits my MPG as well. But I still prefer to have them on.
A bit O/T but I thought that I had DTRL on my '09 FE Limited because it's in the manual but it does say "if equipped". Reflections in a storefront windows shows nothing!! Are you sure that you have DTRL?

Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM

Ford Promises 30% Better Mileage Using Ethanol Injection

GaryG will be singing the praises of ethanol when he obtains the next generation EcoBoost engine.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Gary,
The only thing I see you proving is that for you as a "master" hypermiler the 09 can be vastly better. That doesn't mean that others, who do not hypermile, will have the same results.

If E10 has been mandated for several years in FL, then 08FEH would have been using it in his 2008 FEH, before he switched to the 2009 FEH.
I still hypermile my '05 FEH on E10 when I drive it but the effects of ethanol for me and my wife's normal driving are consistently vary bad compared to when we could buy straight gas. So it's not only bad for hypermilers, it's bad for all drivers MPG averages. E10 was available before the mandate but it had to be trucked in because our Port facilities were not designed to pump ethanol. For instances, Port Everglades had to be modified to handle ethanol before Florida could mandate E10. As soon as the work was completed, Port Everglades only distributed E10 except for a limited market for straight gas. Before that time Port Everglades could not handle E10 and most gas companies only sold straight gas here.

Sean sold his '08 FEH before the change over to E10 and got his '09 FEH after the change in August of '08 I think. I had recommended Sean buy his '09 FEH off a lot at Mullinax Ford because he was having problems getting the one he had ordered. Sean canceled his order and bought his '09 FEHL at a Mullinax Ford Dealer.

Ethanol is a scam and some station owners would buy the cheaper mixed fuel and sell it at a larger profit before the Florida mandate. That's why it was not marked at the pumps and why I got it 4 times before the mandate. Ford went to a new Lambda H02 sensor in the '09 FEH and is one reason it gets better mileage than the '08 and earlier FEH models. This universal H02 sensor adjust air/fuel ratios much better than the 2.3L engine design. The '09 also has a much more aggressive DFSO (fuel cut) than prior models when you let off the gas pedal. You just don't need to be a hypermiler to see all the benefits and improvements in the '09 FEH. If Sean still had his '08 FEH with the new E10 mandate, I'm sure he would think something was wrong with it because of the drop in MPG it would have on E10.

GaryG

Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
A bit O/T but I thought that I had DTRL on my '09 FE Limited because it's in the manual but it does say "if equipped". Reflections in a storefront windows shows nothing!! Are you sure that you have DTRL?
Bill-
Yes, my DRL come on whenever the vehicle is in gear.

You have to tell the dealer to enable it. There is a setting in the smart junction box that turns it on, at least on the 2008, and I suspect the 2009. The Canadian model has it enabled by default due to their laws up there.

It has to be programmed by the dealer. They did it for free.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:25 PM

I still hypermile my '05 FEH on E10 when I drive it but the effects of ethanol for me and my wife's normal driving are consistently vary bad compared to when we could buy straight gas. So it's not only bad for hypermilers, it's bad for all drivers MPG averages. E10 was available before the mandate but it had to be trucked in because our Port facilities were not designed to pump ethanol. For instances, Port Everglades had to be modified to handle ethanol before Florida could mandate E10. As soon as the work was completed, Port Everglades only distributed E10 except for a limited market for straight gas. Before that time Port Everglades could not handle E10 and most gas companies only sold straight gas here.

Sean sold his '08 FEH before the change over to E10 and got his '09 FEH after the change in August of '08 I think. I had recommended Sean buy his '09 FEH off a lot at Mullinax Ford because he was having problems getting the one he had ordered. Sean canceled his order and bought his '09 FEHL at a Mullinax Ford Dealer.

Ethanol is a scam and some station owners would buy the cheaper mixed fuel and sell it at a larger profit before the Florida mandate. That's why it was not marked at the pumps and why I got it 4 times before the mandate. Ford went to a new Lambda H02 sensor in the '09 FEH and is one reason it gets better mileage than the '08 and earlier FEH models. This universal H02 sensor adjust air/fuel ratios much better than the 2.3L engine design. The '09 also has a much more aggressive DFSO (fuel cut) than prior models when you let off the gas pedal. You just don't need to be a hypermiler to see all the benefits and improvements in the '09 FEH. If Sean still had his '08 FEH with the new E10 mandate, I'm sure he would think something was wrong with it because of the drop in MPG it would have on E10.

GaryG
Makes sense to me. I hate that E10 stuff...

Old 02-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Maybe you misunderstood,

I have ALWAYS purchased fuel at a pump that had the 10% ethanol sticker, both trucks.

I'm not completely wrong, I know what I've owned. My wife agrees.

Have you ever owned a 2008 Gary? I didn't think so.

You believe (and preach) whatever you want, fact is the 09 I have owned for 30,000 miles does not get as good gas mileage than the 08 I sold.

What else can I say other than you take things way to personal.

I'm glad you love your 09, I think mine sucks.

End of conversation.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Maybe you misunderstood,

I have ALWAYS purchased fuel at a pump that had the 10% ethanol sticker, both trucks.

I'm not completely wrong, I know what I've owned. My wife agrees.

Have you ever owned a 2008 Gary? I didn't think so.

You believe (and preach) whatever you want, fact is the 09 I have owned for 30,000 miles does not get as good gas mileage than the 08 I sold.

What else can I say other than you take things way to personal.

I'm glad you love your 09, I think mine sucks.

End of conversation.
I still would like to try the new 2010 model, but I'm still paying for my 2008! Anyway, thanks for the perspective.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

E10 sucks, = payoff to elected officials in farm states, big profits for ADM, Cargill etc.
at drivers expense in lower mpg and taxpayers in farm subsidies.

Quick Reply: FEH seats change over the years?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands