FEH Software updates

Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default FEH Software updates

Does anyone know if Ford issues software updates for earlier FEHs?

I see in some of the TSBs that they tell a tech to update software while performing the main task. My FEH has been problem free for the most part (knock on wood!) so I'm wondering if there is a program to update software for the less troubled cars.

Anyone have experience?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: FEH Software updates

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Does anyone know if Ford issues software updates for earlier FEHs?

I see in some of the TSBs that they tell a tech to update software while performing the main task. My FEH has been problem free for the most part (knock on wood!) so I'm wondering if there is a program to update software for the less troubled cars.

Anyone have experience?
I have heard or read that when they hook up the IDS to a vehicle and enter your VIN, it'll tell them if there is a update but don't know for sure if this is true. They charge like a $100 for out of warranty diagnostics.

If there is a issue with the 6F35 six speed transmission in the '09 FE. The shop manual states that look at the solenoid body strategy and ID numbers on the tag. They enter those into the IDS which reads what's in the PCM. If that doesn't match, they update.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

There can be updates for just a module of the car. Not the entire car, per se.
If something is not broken, Ford won't touch it.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
There can be updates for just a module of the car. Not the entire car, per se.
If something is not broken, Ford won't touch it.
Yes, since this is FEH country, the '09 workshop manual lists 18 modules for the FEH. I won't list all that can be reprogrammed. Ones that can't are: 4x4, HVAC, FCIM(front controls interface module), OCSM(seat weight sensor), BCM(battery control module) and TCM(transmission control module).

Out of those I listed only the FCIM, if replaced is programmed before/at installation.

Here's one odd one! They list the PAM(parking aid module) as reprogramable on the FEH but not the FE.

Last edited by wptski; 07-10-2009 at 07:47 AM.