FEH - TAV is high, no warning lights, fans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default FEH - TAV is high, no warning lights, fans?

Long time reader, lurker, and member with 2007 FEH. Bought it used in January 2015, and I like it.

It's been in the use of my youngest son for over a year. TAV can get up to 104 in the warmer months here in Wisconsin on a longer drive. AC was weak. Had the AC serviced locally, and the AC does work very well now.

My concern is that the battery fans seem to do little. With the TAV over 90, I can't hear them, the blend door is closed. The AC area in the tract there in the back is cool, but are the fans working? The blend door opened; no air being sucked in or pushed out.

Anyone have thoughts?

No codes, but could the fans be in operable because of a mechanical condition where the ECM thinks they are fine?

Looking forward to replys. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2017, 06:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH - TAV is high, no warning lights, fans?

Curious to learn the specifics, but I can say with 100% confident 90°F is a very comfortable temperature for NiMH.

Are you noticing a change, or is this just an observation?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:35 AM
Enthusiast

Might be true, but as temperatures go up to around 89 or so, the AC system is used to cool the battery rather than outside air. And as temperatures increase, I believe regen is no longer possible.

The high TAV has been a problem before with no solution sought or attained. The car was used by my son for over a year, and I'm trying to get it back to its proper working condition.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:58 AM

Forgive me... TAV = which temp?

My project 2005 FEH is sitting in the backyard. Previously, using my laptop, and a piece of freeware Ford-capable diagnostic software (can't remember the name, got the name from this site), I monitored the battery parameters during driving. Here in AZ, I saw temps routinely in excess of 100°F with full assist and regen available with the battery cooling system clearly active. IIRC, it reports the battery temp and the evaporator core temp.

I'll try to dig it up this evening when I get home.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Forgive me... TAV = which temp?
TAV is Average Battery Module Temperature

https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-co...escape-hybrid/

Old 07-20-2017, 11:31 PM

Ah. Thanks. I don't do scanguage.

FORScan is what I used with an XHorse MiniVCI. I can't believe I forgot that... it made me laugh the first time I said it out loud.

I ran it in the hot AZ sun deliberately charging and discharging the battery. TAV was 90-91 and the exit temp was 93-95.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

I can drive in 75*F Wisconsin weather and get up into the 90's on TAV in about 25 minutes. If I drive longer, I'll hit 104 no problem on TAV. If it's 90*F in WI, I'll hit 104 on TAV in 25 minutes.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 AM
Enthusiast

Elsewhere, someone posted a video where one could hear the hybrid battery fans running. I didn't recognize the sound. I ordered the updated Ford fans part number from ebay. Disassembled, removed and replaced fans, buttoned it all up and started the Escape. TAV was still at 94*F after a drive a couple hours before, and the hybrid battery fans came on. TAV started dropping very quickly as I drove about a mile to a gas station.

The fans are audible from the driver's seat, and when running I can feel and hear the air being sucked into the rear intake area for the hybrid batteries.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

I can't hear my fans, but it may be my ears. Where do you feel the airflow - at the outside quarter-window vent?

Old 08-15-2017, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast

I can audibly hear the fans with the engine running from the driver position. If I get out, I can hear that sound from the rear quarter vent. If I open the rear hatch, I can hear it better even.

And, yes, when the fans are running and the blend door is open, I can feel the air being sucked in. If the blend door is closed, I can't feel it.