FEH Wheel Touch-up paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default FEH Wheel Touch-up paint

I'm trying to find touch-up paint that matches the "sparkle silver metallic" that's on the wheels of the 2006 FEH. My Ford dealer says they don't sell it. I haven't been able to find a good match with the DupliColor paints at the parts stores, so I wanted to know if anyone else had found something that worked. I can get the paint mixed, but the minimum amount is a pint, which would be a more-than-a-lifetime supply.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pat

Old 07-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH Wheel Touch-up paint

I always thought our rims were aluminum. Which if they were scratched you may have to polish/buff out with a metal polisher. But if you they were heavily scraped, you would have fun trying to minimize the appearance.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:32 PM
HEV's are your friend

I also agree with Rich, the alloy wheels need to be polished/buffed out if they have a scratch. They are coated with a clear coat, similar to the clear coat placed on the regular painted surfaces on the car.

The Duplicolor paints are made to re-paint hubcaps, and steel rims if I remember correctly...

Old 07-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

SOME metal wheels are painted.... the ones I had on my ZX2 were.... I don't think these are though.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

These wheels are painted and clear coated. I have a friend who owns a body shop. I'll check to see if PPG lists a paint code.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Both PPG and Sherwin-Williams list paint codes online. The factory code is YFKC with 6389 as an alternate code. The PPG code is 37012. I was hoping to find an aftermarket match for the paint, since a pint of the stuff is more than I need and I'm not interested in buying a paint gun. The pre-packaged DupliColor paints that I tried ended up being too dark.

After wasting more time and money than it would have taken to have the wheel professionally refinished, I ordered paint from an online retailer that provides it in a handy spray can. I'll post the results after I've had a chance to try it.