Firmware Update/BT module addition/09 Radio Replacement?

Old 07-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Firmware Update/BT module addition/09 Radio Replacement?

I've got a few problems with the '08 NAV system. Mainly, the bone-headed move by the engineers to display only the channel name in the title bar while listening to Sirius, instead of the artist/track name. I can't tell who even makes the radio, though, to request a firmware update to fix this. (It wasn't done as a safety issue - it works fine on FM radio).

Also, if you go into the diagnostics mode (hold down 3 and 6 for a few seconds), it looks like the bluetooth/phone module is 'programmed', just 'not present'. Anyone know the Ford part number for this, and where it is supposed to be located if it is installed? I was thinking of trying to add this.

Finally, the '09 Escape has the same radio, but with Sync and tons of other features. How hard would it be to source a 2009 hybrid nav system and 'drop it in' as a replacement? Would this even be doable?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Firmware Update/BT module addition/09 Radio Replacement?

I don't have any answers for you, but I would be very curious for the answers to all these questions as well. I am very disapointed with the $2800 2008 NAV system... Besides the already outdated maps on teh NAV DVD, the workings of the NAV is lacking and I am also annoyed with the Sirus problem mentioned above.

Hopefully it is as easy as a firmware update. I also hope that the 2009 NAV DVD actually has a few more POIs... What is the point of only 1 mil POIs, when Garmins have over 6 mil POIs?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AA2070
I've got a few problems with the '08 NAV system. Mainly, the bone-headed move by the engineers to display only the channel name in the title bar while listening to Sirius, instead of the artist/track name. I can't tell who even makes the radio, though, to request a firmware update to fix this. (It wasn't done as a safety issue - it works fine on FM radio).
Looks like it's Pioneer who manufactures the 08 and 09 radios - http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...16/140381.html. Makes sense because if you look at Pioneer's AVIC line of NAV receivers the maps have the same look and feel.

Also, if you go into the diagnostics mode (hold down 3 and 6 for a few seconds), it looks like the bluetooth/phone module is 'programmed', just 'not present'. Anyone know the Ford part number for this, and where it is supposed to be located if it is installed? I was thinking of trying to add this.
I would be extremely interested to see a pinout for the '08 nav system. This radio has an NTSC video input for a backup camera, and i'd love to be able to use that (might require a firmware update to Lincoln version).

Finally, the '09 Escape has the same radio, but with Sync and tons of other features. How hard would it be to source a 2009 hybrid nav system and 'drop it in' as a replacement? Would this even be doable?
To look at the pictures, it's the exact same size and probably the same hardware as well, with different software.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would expect that to be nearly impossible since the 09 has a different engine than 08s. Also, Ford has changed its computer module programming each model year for hybrids. Ford has not been very active in supplying updates for NAV systems on hybrids.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just found that a West Palm Beach Company, "Technicarwpb", has a back up camera that works with the 2008 FEH/MMH Nav System. It uses the nav screen when you go into reverse (as they all do/should). I assume it must use the NTSC input mentioned above. Here is a Utube link to a quick video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRTirPNzZN0

Old 07-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I just came accross a test of the 2009 MMH that includes a very nice video with clear views of the new NAV- Entertainment system. You can see clear changes from 2008. Hardware is very similiar BUT different. This is from Autoblog. I thought you might find it helpful. I'm Jealous. Here is the link: http://www.driive.com/2008/06/25/in-...hybrid-wvideo/

Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08MMHybridHappy
I just found that a West Palm Beach Company, "Technicarwpb", has a back up camera that works with the 2008 FEH/MMH Nav System. It uses the nav screen when you go into reverse (as they all do/should). I assume it must use the NTSC input mentioned above. Here is a Utube link to a quick video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRTirPNzZN0
That's brilliant if it is actually pluggable/modular - i've got an email into them to ask. Other than that, i've found these:

http://www.tvandnav2go.com/rgb.html
$450, and requires you to send your unit in for them to solder the inputs directly to the display controller (!) Also, the website is horrible and I wouldn't buy just on principle.

http://avelectronic.com/NavigationVi...Interface.html
$325 and also requires surgery, but has an extra video input for a DVD or game system.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D-mac
I would expect that to be nearly impossible since the 09 has a different engine than 08s. Also, Ford has changed its computer module programming each model year for hybrids. Ford has not been very active in supplying updates for NAV systems on hybrids.
I talked to an electronics tech (works for a company that does the reprogramming of Ford radios/nav clusters/etc for dealerships in the area) and he says that it is possible to drop in an '09 nav system in a '08. The only signals that the radio gets from the engine come off the CAN-BUS, and those PIDs don't change. He also said that if your '08 nav system has a software version of 4.0 or higher, it is already 'sync ready' and an upgrade kit is coming out later this year which will add the phone integration, usb port for media players, and the Sirius traffic information. My software version is 3.00000000, however. He mentioned that Job1 vehicles (without the steering wheel controls) would have the older software, and would not be upgradable, but the Job2 (with the controls) would be upgradeable - the kit is $395 and its about $200 of labor to install it.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast

That's brilliant if it is actually pluggable/modular - i've got an email into them to ask.
Got an email back from the Technicar people - this is not pluggable, they also had to do surgery on the headunit. While the unit is capable of displaying video (as it does on some of the Lincoln vehicles), the input is activated by the software load on the nav unit, and none of these dealers have access to the software. As a result, they have to hack up the unit itself to add their own input. I'm wondering, if I was able to convince someone to load the Lincoln software on my unit if I could play around and find the pinout for the camera and add it that way. I know that the 'Vehicle is in reverse' signal comes off the CAN-BUS already, so there is no need to get that signal, just the video.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi AA2070. Great Info on the possible 2008 late model upgrade. I have a 2008 MMH built on March 25, 2008 with steering wheel readio controls and the premium package - with the nav/sirious radio. I checked my nav software version - and it looks like it is 3.03000000 - which is not the 4.0 or higher mentioned - but being built late March would seem to be a real late "Job 2" 2008. Could you find out if this would be sync upgradeable? Appreciate it.

Last edited by 08MMHybridHappy; 07-18-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Firmware Update/BT module addition/09 Radio Replacement?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands