First Hybrid FEH '05 or '09

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Default Re: First Hybrid FEH '05 or '09

Originally Posted by lnjenkins
Unfortunately I've recently been driving in the early mornings or at night when the temperatures are 20F or less. The past week the temperatures have been the coldest since I've took ownership of the Escape. I'm really seeing the effects... It takes 8 out of 9 miles of a regularly driven trip to go EV (not tough enough to not use cabin heat...) Also, I notice that the RPM's stick extra high. For instance driving 40-45mph on a flat road after reaching speed the RPM's hover over 2000 oddly enough.

Overall the whole vehicle feels sluggish even when gliding as if all greased parts and bearings viscosity is high.

I've yet to decide if I want to go for the Cloud Rider Winter Grill Inserts instead of waiting until next season.

In previous weeks I could drive to increase the AVG MPG. Recently the number seems to decrease a couple tenths every drive. As I mentioned, unfortunately most of my trips are less than 30 or even 20 minutes currently.

I did increase the tire pressures from the low 30's to an all around 40PSI. I know the max sidewall is 44PSI. I have been reluctant to go to that number. However, I have checked the max sidewall pressures on the fire apparatus and ambulances vs what the weekly drivers check books say the tires should be at my firehouse. Guess what, all the emergency vehicles' tires at station are running at max sidewall. Now I carry essentially no load in my Escape so I'm still considering staying at 40PSI or increasing to 44PSI.

It's been hard to practice the blip w/ limited EV driving but I have had a few successful tries at it.

Planning to order a ScanGuage soon. Thinking:

- SoC
- EV Amps
- Water Temp
- Instant MPG

I'll definitely check out the winter MPG challenge over on CleanMPG. Also, I do believe as you said 15 miles past 0MTE is a given if not more.
I think I have won the MPG winter challenge again with over a 61mpg average. I think the '09 FEH will rule the highest gas/electric hybrid EPA over the percentage average ever made.

GaryG

Old 04-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
I think I have won the MPG winter challenge again with over a 61mpg average. I think the '09 FEH will rule the highest gas/electric hybrid EPA over the percentage average ever made.

GaryG
Great job, Gary! How cold did it get where you're at?

I'm on my second tank in northeast Ohio, and these 18 degree mornings are killing me!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2k3 Mach
Great job, Gary! How cold did it get where you're at?

I'm on my second tank in northeast Ohio, and these 18 degree mornings are killing me!
Thanks, our winters are reasons why people have winter homes in South Florida. We call them snowbirds that come down to enjoy the weather or just get out of the house. This year we had 32 degree days that killed more plants than usual, but we had a much better winter than the rest of the Country including where you live. The warm Gulf Stream fights the cold fronts along the coast but it does get much colder further inland from me.

The summer and E10 is hard on my '05 FEH but the '09 FEH has been deadly on MPG even in the summer. If you go to the Mileage Log at Cleanmpg.com and click on % of EPA, The '09 FEH is at # 9 with all hybrids and # 1 with lifetime MPG except for one Plug-In Prius. For a while now, my '09 FEH has been above 185% of EPA MPG tanks.

I've got the record Hybridfest MPG Challenge in the FEH class since 2007 with 200% of EPA but I know my '09 FEH would be in the 75mpg range with 235% of EPA on a similar course.

GaryG

Old 04-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Thanks, our winters are reasons why people have winter homes in South Florida. We call them snowbirds that come down to enjoy the weather or just get out of the house. This year we had 32 degree days that killed more plants than usual, but we had a much better winter than the rest of the Country including where you live. The warm Gulf Stream fights the cold fronts along the coast but it does get much colder further inland from me.

The summer and E10 is hard on my '05 FEH but the '09 FEH has been deadly on MPG even in the summer. If you go to the Mileage Log at Cleanmpg.com and click on % of EPA, The '09 FEH is at # 9 with all hybrids and # 1 with lifetime MPG except for one Plug-In Prius. For a while now, my '09 FEH has been above 185% of EPA MPG tanks.

I've got the record Hybridfest MPG Challenge in the FEH class since 2007 with 200% of EPA but I know my '09 FEH would be in the 75mpg range with 235% of EPA on a similar course.

GaryG
I have checked your mileage log, and I've said many times that you and your posts were the reason I bought my 09 hybrid. :-)

Have you noticed a big drop with E10 on the 09 like you see on the 05?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2k3 Mach
I have checked your mileage log, and I've said many times that you and your posts were the reason I bought my 09 hybrid. :-)

Have you noticed a big drop with E10 on the 09 like you see on the 05?
All I know is that straight gas was killer in my '05 FEH and over 50mpg tanks were logged many times. The effects of E10 ruined that and 42mpg tanks were about the best the '05 could get on E10.

The '09 FEH can get over 25% better MPG on E10 than my '05 FEH could get with straight gas. I've never been able to buy straight gas for my '09 FEH, so until then, it's only guess work on my part to compare. I'd have to say my '09 gets 75% better MPG on E10 than my '05 FEH on E10 with my best hypermiling techniques on both.

Ford thought enough about the difference between E10 MPG and straight gas MPG in the '10 Fusion that Wayne Gerdes was provided straight gas for that 1445 mile 80mpg single tank Challenge. The '09 FEH and the '10 FFH share the same 2.5L engine.

GaryG