Flashing the PCM - $150 cost?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Flashing the PCM - $150 cost?!?

I am taking my 2006 FEH for its 10k service tomorrow, and for the "customer satisfaction program" fix. I asked the technician to also flash the PCM with the latest software, and he said that unless I was experiencing some issues with the car that would cost $150 and wouldn't be covered by any warranty.

Has anyone else gotten this response?

Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Flashing the PCM - $150 cost?!?

I believe PCM software is not affected by the "service campaign" work on the battery, however TBCM re-flash may be part of the service.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Flashing the PCM - $150 cost?!?

I have a MMH on order - so please explain what is a PCM

Old 11-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

no I understand it isn't part of the battery change. I asked them to do it separate of the battery change. I wanted the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) flashed with the latest software because I was hearing it led to a better transition between the combustion and electric engine, and that it improves gas mileage slightly.

But the service tech is telling me that it will cost me $150, which I hadn't heard from anyone before.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would be surprised if they flashed it with the '08 version of software. I would expect them to reflash it with the latest version shipped in an 06.

In short I would expect them to take your $150.00 and offer you nothing in return but the same image you started with. The poor tech will not know this though. I would expect the tech just hooks his system into the PCM and his computer will pick the software load.

Cris

Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oscars2212
no I understand it isn't part of the battery change. I asked them to do it separate of the battery change. I wanted the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) flashed with the latest software because I was hearing it led to a better transition between the combustion and electric engine, and that it improves gas mileage slightly.

But the service tech is telling me that it will cost me $150, which I hadn't heard from anyone before.
HIGHLY unlikely the 08 software will work on an 06.... It only takes ONE change in the hardware and it won't be compatible.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

The Tech will NOT know anything about the reflash software. He will just look it up punch in some numbers and hit go. Thats if he doesnt just copy the software from your PCM and reinstall, as that is the Ford procedure unless there is a specific reflash for a problem you are having. And yes $150 is about right for a reflash. What I wish Ford would do is make the 08 software compatible with the older FEHs and offer it as an upgrade, alas this is NOT the way reflashing works.

My PCM died and they could not recover the programing so they had to download it from the engineering / tech department. I noticed a few changes like softer engagement of the ICE but I only guess they upgraded the sw, I DONT KNOW FOR SURE. Also my FEH was a late production 07 which COULD have some componets of the 08 installed from the factory.

Last edited by Mark E Smith; 11-16-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by glennb
I believe PCM software is not affected by the "service campaign" work on the battery, however TBCM re-flash may be part of the service.
I had the hybrid battery recall performed on my vehicle and the TBCM re-flash is part of the service. This reflash provides the smoother transition between electric mode and ICE.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by cshupp
I would expect them to reflash it with the latest version shipped in an 06.

In short I would expect them to take your $150.00 and offer you nothing in return but the same image you started with.
Are there actually different firmware versions????

Yea, I would expect the tech to look up a firmware image based on your VIN, and simply reflash to the exact same version that your vehicle left the factory with. Though, I think he will indeed do a $150 firmware burn. It just will not change anything.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
I had the hybrid battery recall performed on my vehicle and the TBCM re-flash is part of the service. This reflash provides the smoother transition between electric mode and ICE.
Ahh, I think I got my modules confused. Regardless, I did not insist on the PCM flash heh.

Quick Reply: Flashing the PCM - $150 cost?!?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands