Flex fuel Escape Hybrid in Illinois

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Flex fuel Escape Hybrid in Illinois

Link that reveals Ford made 20 flex fuel Escape Hybrids in 2007 and 4 went to the state of Illinois

http://illinoischannel.spaces.live.c...151!2578.entry

The State of Illinois recently purchased four of the new Ford E85 Escape Hybrid models in an effort to emphasize the state’s role in promoting the use of renewable energy. Ford only produced 20 E85 Escape Hybrids, seven of which are being delivered to Illinois. In addition to the four purchased by the State of Illinois, the Illinois Corn Growers Association also purchased one vehicle and Commonwealth Edison purchased two.
The E85 Escape Hybrid produces approximately 25 percent less greenhouse gas emissions than a gasoline fueled Escape Hybrid, and it runs completely on renewable fuel, which will help reduce Illinois’ dependence on foreign oil. Currently, there are155 gas stations offering E85 in Illinois. Using E85 supports Illinois farmers and helps create jobs in the manufacturing, blending, and shipping sectors. It is also cleaner than regular gas, producing fewer harmful emissions and reducing the amount of carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere. In addition to environmental benefits, E85 is less expensive than gasoline – on average 41˘ cheaper per gallon.
Ford’s Escape Hybrid E85 can operate on renewable ethanol-based fuel.
If just 5 percent of the U.S. vehicle fleet were powered by hybrids operating on E85 ethanol, oil imports could be reduced by about 140 million barrels a year.
Escape Hybrid E85 produces about 25 percent less carbon dioxide than a gasoline-fueled Escape Hybrid – already the world’s cleanest and most fuel-efficient small SUV.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Default Re: Flex fuel Escape Hybrid in Illinois

Originally Posted by Billyk
The E85 Escape Hybrid produces approximately 25 percent less greenhouse gas emissions than a gasoline fueled Escape Hybrid, and it runs completely on renewable fuel, which will help reduce Illinois’ dependence on foreign oil.....
As a symptom of the poor fact checking of our media... if shes E85 then its still 15% gasoline... last I checked gasoline is NOT a "renewable fuel". The best you could say is that it runs on 85% renewable fuel..

Old 02-07-2008, 07:54 AM

Here's the Ford Press release regarding the E85 FEH's.
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=25287

I'm wondering what the hold up is for making these publicly available. Maybe that will come after they get the new 2.5L ironed out in the 2009s.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

MyPart writes:

>I'm wondering what the hold up is for making these publicly available.

As the Escape Hybrid is a PZEV, and there has not been a flex fuel vehicle that meets SULEV tailpipe emissions or zero evaporative emissions, I believe they have not elected to lower the emissions certification of the vehicle.

"Currently, no manufacturer's FFV has been certified as a partial zero-emissions vehicle (PZEV). And a full-hybrid application presents even more evaporative challenges because the vehicle operates on electric power alone without actuating the evaporative vacuum system that operates when the gas engine is in use."
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=26558

Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM

Fair enough. I wouldn't want Ford creating (relatively) dirty hybrids like some other large American manufacturer is.

http://www.gm.com/explore/fuel_econo...pdf/2008MY.pdf

Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

The EPA is a giant shell game. They are the sole reason we have NO EV ar start up. If you knew the shananagians that went on during the certification process you would be stuned.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:25 AM

Mark, I'd like to know more about what you're saying here. Are you saying that the testing process for ICE only vehicles is incorrect or can we at least use them for comparison?

Is a BIN4 actually cleaner than BIN5, etc. or is it a case where the manufacturer may be playing a game with the test (much like some say manufacturers were doing with the old EPA mileage test)?

I think we all would like to think that once you get to the PZEV and AT-PZEV levels there is really a difference when compared to LEV.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

MyPart wrote:

>Are you saying that the testing process for ICE only vehicles is incorrect

The EPA certification cycles are a pretty good forecaster of what controlled pollution sources your vehicle will emit, PROVIDED a person doesn't modify the vehicles control system; such as chipping diesel engines (the black cloud), or hybrid start/stop operation (third-party PHEV modifications).

>is BIN4 actually cleaner than BIN5

It's all up here. Page 3 answers your question

http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/detailedchart.pdf

>manufacturers may be playing a game

The EPA and CARB are very sophisticated in terms questioning how manufacturer control the vehicle's powertrain during certification cycle testing, as well as off cycle. They have access to the parts of the control software during the certification process, and question things that look like they are "cycle beaters" and "defeat devices" The drive cycles used for emission certification may not be good indicators of real-world fuel economy, but they do reflect what and how much a vehicle pollutes.

>PZEV and AT-PZEV levels there is really a difference when compared to LEV

They're 4 to 5 times cleaner (see above link); and remember, there's no real difference between PZEV and AT-PZEV other than the lower CO2 emissions you get because of the higher fuel economy of a hybrid. So, a conventionally powered Fusion PZEV emits no more controlled mobile source emissions (NOx, HC, or CO) than a Escape Hybrid AT-PZEV.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

The EPA is NOT the sole reason, nor even A reason the FEH doesn't have EV at start. When beta testing the FEH with ICE drivers, the drivers repeatedly tried to start the vehicle, even though it was ready to go. Apparently people needed the reassurance of the engine running to convince themselves that it had been "started." This was done solely to make the car seem more conventional to the average consumer. Once started, you have to meet the emissions standards, so the warm-up procedure ensures you will be running for a while before turning off the ICE.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
The EPA is NOT the sole reason, nor even A reason the FEH doesn't have EV at start. When beta testing the FEH with ICE drivers, the drivers repeatedly tried to start the vehicle, even though it was ready to go. Apparently people needed the reassurance of the engine running to convince themselves that it had been "started." This was done solely to make the car seem more conventional to the average consumer. Once started, you have to meet the emissions standards, so the warm-up procedure ensures you will be running for a while before turning off the ICE.
I have heard this before and while I think it may be true it defies all logic as it has to cost in FE big time.

I have commented before how we use our FEH. We, like most, live in a quiet neighborhood that we drive on small side streets first and then transition onto the main roads. It is easy to drive 25 MPH on the small neighborhood streets as this is the posted speed limit.

Sadly where we are best suited to use the EV mode the FEH is forcing us into an ICE only mode at startup and all the associated gas and emissions involved. If we could use EV mode first until the battery was depleted to preset levels we could eliminate neighborhood pollution and noise and also extend FE. This should yield higher FE too.

Carry this one step farther.... If we could plug in and top off the battery pack we could drive out under battery power to max range and this would extend the EV mode to the maximum distance and every EV mile is 1/3 the cost of a ICE mile IIRC. Put the FEH on a timer and the battery pack and ICE would be warmed up in the winter and fully charged thus assuring EV mode at startup.

All Ford had to do to settle the minds of the those who could not understand the no ICE start at the beginning was to devise an indicator or chime or something that would assure folks it was fine to go and drive away.

Shoot think of the marketing that they MISSED OUT ON such as starting your drive in clean silence verses dirty, costly noise.

I understand that the goal is to offer an hybrid that acts like every car has in the past but some things are better with change when the MAIN REASON for the FEH is to be BETTER than other cars of the past. This in it self is a change and the EV mode is the best one offered. Don't put limitations on the FEH EV mode because a few lame folks have to have the ICE run when they turn the key. It makes no sense to me.

At the very least give those of us who want it this option in a dealer flash and see how many would take FORD up on it.

I understand that Ford would need to re-certify the FEH with the GOV on emissions. But improving FE is the return in spades IMO.

Quick Reply: Flex fuel Escape Hybrid in Illinois

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands