Ford Dealer can't solve 12V Battery discharging

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Ford Dealer can't solve 12V Battery discharging

05 Escape HEV with 66,500 miles is with Lithia Ford for the 3rd time in the last two weeks. Bought the vehicle used 18 months ago and was trouble free to this point. I'm confident now the Ford dealer has no clue how what is causing the problem. "Stop Safely Now" light shut down the vehicle resulted in dangerous emergency pullover situations while on the road. I have no confidence that Ford Technicians (Tech??...hardly) can fix the problem. Here's how it went (and still going) down.
1) Ck Battery Recharging System light followed by Brake Recharging light 1/4 mile later. // Result. 1/4 mile later Stop Safely Now light and complete shut down at 60 mph on the freeway. .
2) Drove to Lithia Ford and after 9 hours of diagnostic test, identified the problem as "DC-DC Converter" went bad and needs replacing. Total cost quoted = $2,400. Immediately found GreenHybrid.com Forums. Thankfully I did.....
3) I met with the Service Manager and asked if they checked the MEC pump (TSB 08-24-5) , blend door actuator or if the Service Harness had been installed (CSP 070848). He had NO IDEA that the TSB and CSP's had been issued and basically discounted all mentioned. After his condolences about my $2400 shortfall, I asked about the Warranty. He stated it was not. That's when I presented him with the Warranty List. Shocked.....he smiled and stated parts and labor would be covered.
4) NEW DC-Converter job complete - picked up and drove 1/2 mile down the road. Battery icon comes on and 20 secs later Stop Safely Now light comes on and complete shut down. Towed again back to Lithia (their cost)
5) Next day, Lithia called and said it was a bad 12V battery, drained from all the diagnostic testing. They replaced it at no-charge and said it was fixed.
6) Drove it 25 miles over a 24 hr period. Yesterday, the Battery icon comes on and within 5 mins. the vehicle shut down again. Completely dead. Towed again to Lithia (their cost).
I have NO confidence in Ford, Lithia Ford, their technicians or this CAR anymore. It's clear they haven't a clue and I will not take it down freeway with the potential of a high-speed "SHUT-DOWN". I understand that complaints have been filed with the NHTSA, and another is on it's way.
I'll post an update as Ford muddles in their attempt to find a solution.

Last edited by TomaK; 09-15-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Default Re: Ford Dealer can't solve 12V Battery discharging

The problem may be a Power Sustain Relay or the PCM relay. Reflashing the PCM and Transmission Control module might be a good idea also.

GaryG

Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast

GaryG - Thanks for the reply. Ford dealer has supposedly has checked codes to determine the bad DC-Converter. Question, if the Power Sustain Relay or the PCM relay is the issue, how do they determine if they are indeed bad? It appears that all they do is run a code diagnostic to determine the issue.....Also, before the 12V battery issue, I noticed my AC was not operating as efficient as it had. I don't use it often, but noticed I had to run it on Max to get sufficient cooling during hot days. This was also mentioned to the Ford dealer prior to their work.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 AM

The relays can trigger other codes and shutdown the FEH. Three of my relays went bad and it cost $1,200 to fined out the problem. The relays don't give a code, but they can cause false codes in other modules. In my case, the HV battery was testing a bad code and was reading to replace the battery. There was a long list of bad codes until the tech replaced the $12 relays.

If your A/C is not cooling the cabin, it's not cooling the HV battery either. The A/C compressor also cools the Aux HV battery system. If the temperature of the HV battery gets to hot, you will get a Stop Vehicle Safely light and the vehicle will shutdown. You cannot control the battery A/C system because it runs based on battery temperature only. Your A/C compressor can be engaged without using the cabin A/C if the battery is too hot. Ideal battery temperature is 78F. If your A/C compressor is not cooling the cabin, you have a leak and must stop it and fill the system again. In other words, both systems use one compressor that must be working properly for this Ford Hybrid.

GaryG

Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks GaryG! I referred your suggestions to the Ford Dealer....***Update as of today*** Received a voice message from the Ford Dealer saying the Wiring Harness connected to the DC-Converter now has intermittent shorts, with possible damage to the wiring. Is this the "Service Harness" as referred in the CSP 07B48? The Ford Dealer said it was connected to the "newly replaced" DC-Converter they replaced last week...they must be referring to the TCM-DC Converter harness ($190 OEM from Ford)...Must have happened with their installation of the DC Converter last week. No mention on the relay switches or A/C issues I asked them to check. I'm not holding my breath that it will be sorted out in the weeks ahead....

Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Thumbs down Re: Ford Dealer can't solve 12V Battery discharging

My relays were also intermittent as my '05 FEH would not start, but when the tow truck driver came, he started it and drove it on the tow truck. The dealer stated everything check out fine, but I had to have it towed back again a few days later.

If your dealer does not agree with you about the cabin A/C output being low, then that could be a problem with the hybrid techs.

Not sure about the CSP 07B48, but I think that was a harness inside the HV battery pack which I had replaced.

Look, you had problems before they changed the DC/DC converter. You still have problems with the same issues. You can change the relays around to find out which one if any are bad. Here are photos I took of the relays and their location: http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showp.../500/ppuser/36 http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showp.../500/ppuser/36 http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showp.../500/ppuser/36 http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showp.../500/ppuser/36 http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showp.../500/ppuser/36

GaryG

Old 09-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by GaryG
My relays were also intermittent as my '05 FEH would not start, but when the tow truck driver came, he started it and drove it on the tow truck. The dealer stated everything check out fine, but I had to have it towed back again a few days later..............

GaryG
Given all the hassle and expenses that you have incurred, it might be worth your while to just buy a set of relays and install new ones. They aren't expensive and just plug in.

It seems that many dealer mechanics are clueless and just change parts until the symptoms disappear or they break your wallet.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

Update: Ford dealer replaced the Wiring Harness on Tuesday (6 days to receive part). After resetting the PMC, faulty code readings are indicating replacing the DC- Converter and after resetting again, codes indicate replacing the Wiring Harness. In fact, every time they reset, codes indicate something different to replace....at my suggestion, they replaced all relay breakers, still faulty code readings. Ford now says to replace the PMC system...Ford Dealer is stymied. awaiting response after Ford continues to be "O-For" on previous recommendations. Dealer is ready to request Ford HEV engineer to be flown in. To date, DC-Converter (8/80 Fed Waranty)and Wiring Harness (CSP 07B48 honored) and new 12v battery covered at no-charge. At my request, relay breakers are to be on my dime. If PMC is the "Powertrain Control Module" or "Motor Control Module" those too is covered under the Fed - 8/80 Waranty . Without a car now for 27 days and counting. Dealer not offering a loaner car since 14 days ago. If Ford Engineer comes, expecting another 10 days. Oh ya, dealer says 12v system is charging, but with faulty codes they are perplexed.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

Dealer replaced PCM, 36 days after bringing the car in. They requested Ford Engineers but Ford said they would not as they guarantee this was the issue. Picked the vehicle up today and drive 7 miles before the Battery icon went on. Called the dealer and requested my 4th tow. At my request, they replaced the Relays prior to the new PMC. Who knows how this will turn out.7 weeks and counting. I suspect that Ford will be called in now. Minimum 2 weeks to get an engineer in, I'm guessing. First DC Converter, than new 12v battery, replaced wiring harness, then Relays and finally PCM. What is left????

Old 10-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast

Update: Day 43....Received the vehicle back from the Dealer. After the new PMC installation, they found that the positive cable to the 12v battery had been fried in two places, causing a short. Also, the new Ford 12v battery they installed in mid-Sept. had been fried as well. Replaced both. The dealer test drove it for 102 miles before releasing it. All systems working. Drove it home (11 miles) with no issues. Two days later, after putting on 5 miles, the "wrench light" and Service Soon indicator came on. After turning the key off, the wrench light went out. Drove it back to Dealer (wrench light still out) and informed them to check the Blind Door Actuator. They said it was not the issue. They ran the scan for codes and got everything from low voltage to Air-bags, running lights and everything imaginable. They finally got the wrench light to re-appear and checked for codes. Got the Blind Door Actuator! Now replacing that and will recheck for codes...I assume they'll put on another xxx miles before releasing it back to me deemed "fixed"!

Quick Reply: Ford Dealer can't solve 12V Battery discharging

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands