Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Batter

Originally Posted by BlackJack
So I will recap another weird day at the Ford Dealers.
In previous posts I described how the first Ford Service dept. said I needed a coolant pump and a HV battery fan replaced. After much quibbling about warranty coverage I told them to replace the pump only, and I will take it for a second diagnosis.
Well I did and this Ford dealer says I need a new MECS Pump, HV battery fan, and a few other things (fuel injectors cleaned etc.)

The good news is!....with them I am now covered for my fans under the battery warranty, not only that but will replace the WHOLE battery.
I eventually asked if battery's were expensive, I thought they were about $9,000 at least? She said no, for your car they were about 1500 and 1900
total with labor. So I thought that was weird?
Then she said the pump would be about $500. So I finally told her that I JUST HAD the pump replaced. She asked what is the part#? So I read the receipt from the other Ford dealer and gave her # 5M6Z 8C419 A, which is the exact pump pictured here in Billy K's post(#34). Now is that for the engine or, the battery cooling system?!

So I called the first dealer back and he said it was the pump to the ENGINE. I said to him that I was led to understand it was the cooling pump to the BATTERY you were replacing?! He said know this is what the diagnostic showed. So I said that I'm having a second diagnostic being done right now and they say I need a MECS cooling pump that goes to the battery! He also wanted to know where I was taking it but I didn't tell.
So now I'm thoroughly confused: Yes they are replacing my battery because of the fans, and yes I need another pump replaced. But is the Pump pictured in post#34 for the engine or for the battery?
One of these dealers is not being forthcoming or my computer system is sending false codes? And I have run the car hard across the country last year.
Sorry for the long post but now I have to go ahead and replace the "other" pump along with a complete battery. I guess I have a partial victory with the "warranty" coverage at least.
If someone could set me straight on the "Pumps" engine/battery it would be much appreciated. Hope this helps someone as well. Thx, Dave.

Do NOT get your hopes up over a new battery...that will not happen. I was told the exact same thing at my dealership (except my dealer knew how much it really cost) and they quickly corrected that misinformation the next day. The battery is $9000 and Ford (corporate) will not approve that unless other components of the battery failed, most particularly the cells. If it is only the cooling fans, that's all you'll get repaired (eventually). You are where I was on day 2. It took me 21 days to get the fans covered.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Default Re: Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Batter

Print this photo out:
Name:  FEHmecspumpoverallview-1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  130.3 KB
Good luck.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

I just talked to my Ford service rep Lacy. I told her that the part # I gave her(#5M6Z 8Z419A) was for the MECS pump. She insists that it isn't,that it is for the engine. So I said to physically check everything and she did and called me back to inform me that yes they are two different pumps. ( I have the part # for the MECS pump but I have to wait for my lunch break to post it).
So bottom line is I have to replace both pumps! I already replaced the aforementioned pump(#5M6Z....), for $589, and now they are doing the "battery" pump. My question is why the hell didn't the first dealer diagnose that both pumps were bad, only the engine pump.?? more soon....

Old 04-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks to all for your feedback. Billy K., the diagram is very helpful. I will call Lacy now with that evidence. She said she is replacing the MECS pump that has a part # 6M6Z18D473AA, new to me. Now I am more confused....more to come....
P.s. the the part# I gave in Post53 was 5M6Z 8C419A corrected.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by BlackJack
I just talked to my Ford service rep Lacy. I told her that the part # I gave her(#5M6Z 8Z419A) was for the MECS pump. She insists that it isn't,that it is for the engine.
The confusion could be that the MECS pump is part of the "Engine Cooling Sub-System" and maybe she isn't reading beyond "engine cooling".

Here's the instruction sheet that comes with the MECS pump:

Attached Thumbnails Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Battery-mecs.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MECS.PDF (630.4 KB, 533 views)

Last edited by econoline; 04-25-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

Un-freakin-believable! I called Lacy and left a message. I told her that I had a Tech-manual picture of the MECS pump; and she and the first service, I had done at the other dealership, were both talking about MECS pumps; but you both gave me different part #'s.
So she finally calls me back and says she found out what the confusion is.
She says that indeed she is talking about the same pump that the prior dealer had just installed for me, i.e. 8C419-A. She says she was led to the wrong part #, or something like that.
So I said "then I'm not crazy am I?" as she wouldn't apologize or anything.
And she also says that there are actually THREE coolant pumps, but I won't confuse more with that.

So here's the new kickers. She says my pump is bad and when did I l have it replaced? I said just a few days ago. So now she wants the invoice but I am reluctant to tell her it was at Robinson Ford just 8 miles down the road.
I'm being a bit ripped about the $589 I just dropped for the new pump that is showing up as bad. She did a physical test as well.
She is requesting the invoice from the first pump job, so she can get a parts-warranty for a new pump!

This is all blowing my mind because my original issue was about warranty coverage for the HV battery fans! That's why I went for a second opinion.

But here's the other kicker-
Now she says the FAN I have a problem with, is for the converter and is not even inside the battery, and "yes" it is a covered part.

All weird that their diagnostics are so different. The first dealer was going to charge me 1100 to replace the HV battery fans, and the second dealer says it is not even that fan.

Now what is going to happen when I give her the invoice and Lacy starts talking to the first service agent at the other dealer. That is my only weapon that they don't know whom the other is but they are both Ford Dealerships. I feel I have a case for customer service but they have also denied my warranty coverage of the battery fans I fought for last week that the new dealer says I don't need, but I DO need a new pump because the pump I just had put in two days ago is BAD!

HEELLLPP!! Thanks for the feedback and thx for listening.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

This illustrates how CLUELESS dealers are.
I hate to say it but the problem is wide spread..
We'd all be better off driving 300 miles out of our way to find a competent dealer.
Thats what we should do.

A) There are three pumps
1) belt drive water pump for engine cooling and cabin heat when engine is on
2) electric water pump for cabin heat in EV drive
3) MECS Electric water pump for motor electronics cooling system

1) was never bad in your car. You cant drive two miles without it.
2) is bonus you can drive forever without it ( mine's been broke for 50,000 miles )
3) you can drive without it, but get symptoms you describe.

B) The ONLY battery cooling fans are inside the battery pack for 2005-2008.
I don't have fan data for later years.
Getting a whole new battery for $1900 is about right...for just the part. if there's not gross markup. Batteries for a Prius are about that, and for the Insight, even less.
They cannot store batteries for more than a few months so need to sell at a reasonable price. They will go bad on the shelf.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1

A) There are three pumps
1) belt drive water pump for engine cooling and cabin heat when engine is on

1) was never bad in your car. You cant drive two miles without it.

B) The ONLY battery cooling fans are inside the battery pack for 2005-2008.
I don't have fan data for later years.
Getting a whole new battery for $1900 is about right...for just the part. if there's not gross markup. Batteries for a Prius are about that, and for the Insight, even less.
They cannot store batteries for more than a few months so need to sell at a reasonable price. They will go bad on the shelf.
The thermostat in my 2006 failed in the open position. I was able to operate the vehicle, but since the water temperature was staying in the low 140s, the computer would not allow it to go into EV mode. I also changed a working MECS pump as a purely precautionary measure.

THE hybrid battery is indeed a $9000 part:

Ford Part: BATTERY

Part NO.: 8M6Z-10B759-A
All of our genuine Ford parts are supplied by an authorized Ford dealer located in Southern California. Purchasing such genuine parts as BATTERY can aid in your vehicle's smooth operation. You can enjoy peace of mind knowing that every part, including 8M6Z-10B759-A, is backed by Ford manufacturer's warranty.
Ford's Retail Price: $9416.13 You Save: $532.01 Your Price: $8884.12 Qty.
Replaced by: 8M6Z-10B759-B

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/...-10b759-a.html

Last edited by GatorJ; 04-26-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: wrong part listed
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM

I was finally able to get through to Autumn today. She was curious why I was calling her since my vehicle was repaired and I explained that since my episode started, two more of these popped up, that people were being told the same things I heard for weeks and that it simply wasn't fair for everyone with this problem to start over. I also told her Ford was getting bad publicity on the enthusiasts forums over this, publicity I doubted Ford wanted.

She told me she was going to talk to my local service manager to find out exactly how it was submitted to the warranty department for approval and bring this up at their next weekly department meeting. I am not optimistic.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
I was finally able to get through to Autumn today. She was curious why I was calling her since my vehicle was repaired and I explained that since my episode started, two more of these popped up, that people were being told the same things I heard for weeks and that it simply wasn't fair for everyone with this problem to start over. I also told her Ford was getting bad publicity on the enthusiasts forums over this, publicity I doubted Ford wanted.

She told me she was going to talk to my local service manager to find out exactly how it was submitted to the warranty department for approval and bring this up at their next weekly department meeting. I am not optimistic.
It's clear to me, Ford is stonewalling on this issue. They have turned a loyal consumer into the opposite with just this stonewalling.

I agree that the HV battery pack is not $1900. When I got my '05 FEH it was one of the first in Florida. My Ford Parts Department all came out to see it and they looked up the price of the pack that day. They said it was around $7000 then, so your price is about right at $9000 today. This is the very reason Ford is stonewalling on any repairs or replacements of the battery.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Battery

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands