Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Default Re: Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Batter

Originally Posted by kducks
I'm about to pull my hair out from dealing with this very same problem from Ford. I keep getting the same run around about the part number not being covered under my hybrid warranty even though I only have 56k on the vehicle. I came armed with the new code number provided by you guys here on this forum and they refuse to use to for my vehicle saying that my part number, good old POA81 is not part of the kit. I have talked to Ford customer relations multiple times with no help there, Milli does not seem to be with the compnay anymore. I got stuck with a $761 dollar bill just to get my car and don't know what else to do. I did find it interesting though that apparently the mechanics do not get paid under warranty work(co-workers brother is a Honda Tech)so they only make money off of repair work not covered under warranty. As much as I love my Ford, dealing with all this mess has really turned me off of ever buying one again. Oh and I forgot to mention, my car died the night I brought it home from the dealer and I had to replace the battery in it for another $114 dollars...but it was just a coincedence of course.
I've never had battery problems with either of my FEH, but I've discussed it with my dealer Hybrid Tech. At first, he to tried to tell me the Fans were not covered. After I let him have it, he admitted they were covered. In fact, he started telling me the MECP was also covered along with many of the other hybrid components many here have replaced and had to pay for it themselves. It appears Ford and most of the dealers are playing this game.

The Assistant Service Manager was sitting right next to us and didn't say a word, but I've never had any warranty issues anymore. I take that back, my SA called me and said my extended warranty (Costco) was not going to cover a MFT update on my '11 Explorer. After I told her Ford had agreed to update MFT for 5 years and unlimited miles, she agreed it was covered.

Don't give up!

Gary

Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Dealer REFUSING to Honor 8 Year/100,000 Mile Warranty on High Voltage Batter

Originally Posted by kducks
I'm about to pull my hair out from dealing with this very same problem from Ford. I keep getting the same run around about the part number not being covered under my hybrid warranty even though I only have 56k on the vehicle. I came armed with the new code number provided by you guys here on this forum and they refuse to use to for my vehicle saying that my part number, good old POA81 is not part of the kit. I have talked to Ford customer relations multiple times with no help there, Milli does not seem to be with the compnay anymore. I got stuck with a $761 dollar bill just to get my car and don't know what else to do. I did find it interesting though that apparently the mechanics do not get paid under warranty work(co-workers brother is a Honda Tech)so they only make money off of repair work not covered under warranty. As much as I love my Ford, dealing with all this mess has really turned me off of ever buying one again. Oh and I forgot to mention, my car died the night I brought it home from the dealer and I had to replace the battery in it for another $114 dollars...but it was just a coincedence of course.

Unfortunately, after the dealer has your money, your options are severely limited. You could try suing Ford and the dealer in small claims court, but hiring an attorney to assist you would undoubtedly cost more than the amount in controversy. In most jurisdictions you can not recover attorney's fees in a case such as this. I don't know where you live, so I can't speak to the law there.

You could try doing suing them yourself, but even though it is small claims court, the rules of evidence apply and you would have a difficult time introducing things into evidence, etc. and presenting your case on your own. I would get this elevated as quickly as possible in Ford's customer service system. There are enough case numbers in the big threads on this issue, that someone at Ford should figure out how to get this covered.

Good luck!

Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Here is apparently the deal to get this properly covered under the 8/100K (10/150K) unique hybrid component warranty...the part number for the cooling fan kit has to be coded differently.

IT HAS TO BE CODED:

5M6Z-10B759-A

(The 7th and 8th characters are different.)
This matches with my paperwork from when I had this repair done under warranty in 2011....
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...66/index8.html

If you check the repair code its 10B759. But the parts are listed as 10B659.

Seems like a simple correction on Ford's end could've solved this problem years ago.....if they wanted to.... but what is their motivation to cover it? Probably most customers just pay it or give up fighting.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:38 PM

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread since it was because of this thread and another older one that I pushed Ford about the warranty issue and ended up getting the repair on my 06 FEH (101K miles, CA-based vehicle) completed under warranty. My Ford case ID was CAS-3916828-P3R3K7. Corporate actually ended up calling my dealership, Santa Monica Ford, to authorize the repair after initially telling me sorry, no dice. I have a feeling a higher up reviewed the recording of my call, in which I very calmly accused them of disparate treatment of owners with the same repair issue and mentioned all sorts of plans to lodge complaints and file lawsuits. Sometimes it pays to be the squeaky wheel, I guess.

There was some weird way that my service advisor had to enter in both the part not covered under warranty and the part that actually was.

Here's some info I pulled from across this thread and others:
Ford Escape Hybrid 2007 case ID 1653931871 (repaired at Star Ford in Glendale)
Ford Escape Hybrid 2007 case ID 1613570262 (Alaska)
Ford Escape Hybrid 2005 case ID 1461231671
Mercury Mariner Hybrid 2006 - receipt posted in thread
Repair code POA81-60
Part not under warranty 5M6Z-10C659-A.
Part under warranty 5M6Z-10B759-A

Hope this is helpful! Wanted to pay it forward...

Old 02-21-2014, 05:04 AM

Glad you persevered and prevailed. Good job!