Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD just spins on snow and ice

Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD just spins on snow and ice

Originally Posted by salsbr
Hey Freak, did they find anything out? This is definitely a problem. My '05 kicks in the rear almost immediately, and I've personally experienced one of three things. Either I'm really stuck, and both front and back dig a hole. Or I easily move on, or the back end is kicked out.

Of course when the back end kicks out, it's because I wanted it to.
The had it for a couple of days and decided that I needed a new PCM and some kind of control that is located in the rear end (don't remember what they called it) When I asked them how much, they said it would cost about $2600. Now I don't know if this would actually fix it, or if they figure they would just replace everything and hope it fixes it, but from my conversations with them, I suspect the latter.

I have had this car in the shop several times (Blend Door Actuator, Control Head, Transmission Cooling Pump, Rear Axle Seal) which I think this is ridiculous for an 2008 vehicle with 70,000 miles. We also have a Subaru with 200,000 miles on it and it has been in the shop 1 time and that was only for new belts. I have always been a Ford man, but the last few haven't been the best experiences for me It is just outside of warranty and so I would have to pay out of pocket. I really think my best option at this point is to sell it and get a vehicle with a real 4wd system. I love the great feul economy, but the repair costs far outway the benefits of 29 mpg. Unfortunately, I think I will try something other than Ford this time

Old 12-20-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by freak4tech
The had it for a couple of days and decided that I needed a new PCM and some kind of control that is located in the rear end (don't remember what they called it) When I asked them how much, they said it would cost about $2600. Now I don't know if this would actually fix it, or if they figure they would just replace everything and hope it fixes it, but from my conversations with them, I suspect the latter.

I have had this car in the shop several times (Blend Door Actuator, Control Head, Transmission Cooling Pump, Rear Axle Seal) which I think this is ridiculous for an 2008 vehicle with 70,000 miles. We also have a Subaru with 200,000 miles on it and it has been in the shop 1 time and that was only for new belts. I have always been a Ford man, but the last few haven't been the best experiences for me It is just outside of warranty and so I would have to pay out of pocket. I really think my best option at this point is to sell it and get a vehicle with a real 4wd system. I love the great feul economy, but the repair costs far outway the benefits of 29 mpg. Unfortunately, I think I will try something other than Ford this time
A new PCM? you got ripped-off. Even if the PCM was causing the problem it can be reprogrammed. If it otherwise drove fine, you didn't need a new PCM. My PCM went bad and my FEH had to be towed to the dealer. The as built data is stored in the non-active part of the PCM so if the active part of the PCM gets corrupted, the techs can retrieve that data and reprogram the active side of the PCM. I had this happen and the tech and the workshop manual explains all of this.

That dealer your dealing with is ripping you off big time!

GaryG

Old 12-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
A new PCM? you got ripped-off. Even if the PCM was causing the problem it can be reprogrammed. If it otherwise drove fine, you didn't need a new PCM. My PCM went bad and my FEH had to be towed to the dealer. The as built data is stored in the non-active part of the PCM so if the active part of the PCM gets corrupted, the techs can retrieve that data and reprogram the active side of the PCM. I had this happen and the tech and the workshop manual explains all of this.

That dealer your dealing with is ripping you off big time!

GaryG
What makes you think that "anytime" a PCM goes bad it just needs to be reprogrammed?? Granted, the data can get corrupted but that's not always the case.

As far as the rearend goes, other than oil seals, it's unrepairable and replaced as a entire unit. There's only one two wire control cable that goes to the ATC unit in the rearend, no sensors, controls, etc. back there at all.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by wptski
What makes you think that "anytime" a PCM goes bad it just needs to be reprogrammed??
Experience... Common sense maybe. Do you think his PCM needed replacement because the rear wheels had no traction?

GaryG

Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Imported from Detroit

Experience... Common sense maybe. Do you think his PCM needed replacement because the rear wheels had no traction?

GaryG
Yes, it's possible to be a PCM or 4WD module problem also. It can also be a ABS problem also as it can take over control of everything. This is all in the manual along with how to test every component.

A tech can use their IDS(computer) to command the rearend with 100% torque but that would go through the controls. I'd pull the connector on the rearend and put 12V right on it to check its mechanical/electrical operation in one step. Of course, the manual lists the whole series of tests to perform on the 4WD module/ATC unit and its wiring.

Along the same lines, does reprogaming fix all problems?

The only one I've ever heard of was a FE, a few years old that the ATC unit froze up in the locked position.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

+1 on put 12 volts right on it...

Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Along the same lines, does reprogaming fix all problems?
I really don't think replacing the PCM or reprogramming the existing one was the problem. If the PCM was not damaged and all other functions of the vehicle worked, why replace it? I was just saying why throw out the baby with the bath water if PCM was not working properly. A new PCM requires the existing program to be installed that's in the old PCM. If the PCM was damaged and the data can't be retrieved, the tech has to get the as built data from Ford from his VIN. It is very rare to replace a PCM.

GaryG

Old 12-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Imported from Detroit

I really don't think replacing the PCM or reprogramming the existing one was the problem. If the PCM was not damaged and all other functions of the vehicle worked, why replace it? I was just saying why throw out the baby with the bath water if PCM was not working properly. A new PCM requires the existing program to be installed that's in the old PCM. If the PCM was damaged and the data can't be retrieved, the tech has to get the as built data from Ford from his VIN. It is very rare to replace a PCM.

GaryG
I agree that it probably isn't a bad PCM but sounds like poor troubleshooting but on anything that's out of the ordinary, Ford holds the Dealer's hand and guides them on every move.

All they have to do is follow the tests in the manual.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree that it probably isn't a bad PCM but sounds like poor troubleshooting but on anything that's out of the ordinary, Ford holds the Dealer's hand and guides them on every move.

All they have to do is follow the tests in the manual.
"...and guides them on every move.."

Yes, in about the same way that they make sure that the dealer service personnel are made fully aware of truly important TSB's. TSB's that do not apply unless the customer complains of a problem specific to a TSB that expires with the warranty period.