Ford Escape Hybrid Oil Filter!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Ford Escape Hybrid Oil Filter!

I went to two dealers today to get the oil filter, both of them DON'T HAVE IT! I wonder how they do oil changes for their customers, probably reuse the old filter.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Ford Escape Hybrid Oil Filter!

Really? I thought this problem was over. Yes, they have had problems in the past getting the part for stock, but I thought that was long since solved.

Your best bet is rather than go to the dealer, to call ahead. In some cases, I've heard that people in CA give 2 weeks notice to their dealer, to make sure they have the rings and filters and whatnot.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You always have the option of going with an aftermarket oil filter. Advance Auto sells Purolator filters that also come with both o-rings. You could also try a Mazda dealer and get the Mazda equivalent part.

There are also some online suppliers that you can pick up all the Ford filters at greatly reduced prices than the dealers.

If you plan on staying with the Motorcraft 5w-20 oil, look at Walmart. I've picked it up there for a great price.

Do a search of this forum, there are some good discussions on oil, filters, etc.

Last edited by nitramjr; 03-29-2006 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, run a search on oil filters. Doing the oil on an Escape Hybrid isn't a spur-of-the-moment-go-to-Jiffy-Lube-in-the-morning deal. Call ahead to your dealer and make an appointment; if they're good they will make sure all your filters and o-rings are ready when you roll in. My service dealer does, and that's why they see me every 10k miles!

Old 03-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I replaced mine with a Purolator filter, it came with the "O" rings. Worked well.

I went to the Ford Dealer for an oil change, they didn't have the "O" rings. They had to rent me a car so that I could get to work.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

NAPA had the FEH filter with both O-rings for $4.
Seems like everyone has them BUT Ford dealers.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info all. 07 Hybrid standard eq. Just before the 5000 mile mark I noticed a substantial drop in mileage (~27.8 per the read out on the dash avg mpg). I guess I lucked out with my dealer as they had the filter (FL-2017-B with rings). It was $9.60 with the CA tax. I thought that a bit much since I can get MoCrft filters @ PepBoys for the two Stangs (02 & 05) for $2.99ea. But I guess what really griped me was the oil filter holder on the block. First you need a hex wrench to open the small drain, then I nearly broke my arms taking off the "cap". Lots of oil on the garage floor, so thanks for shop towels.
Couple of questions:
-No NAPA nearby and PepBoys didn't carry the Purolator element, anyone had luck with a good online parts store?
-Anyone know the exact diameter for the oil filter "cap" that holds the filter & screws into the block? Is there a special tool since it is made of hard plastic, so as not to round it or scar it?
-Finally, is the smaller hex drain plug a true MM size, or a poorly machined SAE? Anyone know what size for sure? I seem to recall 6mm, but it was not a snug fit?
Thanks for the info on the oil as well. Since the '02 Stang also uses 5w-20 I go thru it a bit quicker than I'd like.
And yes after 5K of primarily fwy driving in LA, the oil was black! Back up to 29.6 mpg so it beats my '05 Exploder.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Early Adopter

You can get the Mazda equivalent oil filter online from mazdastuff.com (Mazda South in Austin, TX) they currently list it at 4.96 including the o-rings. Other than coming in a plain white box and with a different part number there is no visual difference from the Ford version, except the price.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dwmiller438
Doing the oil on an Escape Hybrid isn't a spur-of-the-moment-go-to-Jiffy-Lube-in-the-morning deal.
I just thought I needed to mention, that I had a similar problem with getting the oil changed on my Honda. I went to two different "quick" oil change places, and neither had my oil filter in stock. They both just apologized and set me on my way.

In desperation, I stopped at a Jiffy Lube. They didn't have it in stock either, but they called a Honda dealership and had them rush over an oil filter, at no charge to me.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

FWIW, I now use Mobil 1. After 15,000 miles ( you read right ) the oil was still dark tan in color and semi-translucent. Not see-thru, but still allowed sunlight to pass.

After 3 changes, ( @5,000 miles, dealer comp. ) ( @8,500 miles, switch to Mobil 1 ) ( @20,000 miles Mobil 1 ) my hex drain plug became "round".

Just recently, at 35,000 miles, I did another oil change and had to leave the hex drain plug in, and just unscrew the entire filter. It was not any messier, and actually, the times it worked, I didn't find the hex drain plug all that helpful. So yes, I changed the big O-ring, but had to leave the small one in. Hey, no leaks, and that's all that matters. If the small ring ever does leak ( doubtful for at least 5 years ) then I hope I can take a dremel and cut the hex into a slot for a standard screwdriver.

I was not able to find a "cap" or socket type filter wrench that fit at any auto store, and I was not about to get one from a dealer. I got something that looked like giant pliars or "channel locks" shaped for a round oil filter. Worked great. Very easy to use. Yes it is steel "teeth" on plastic, which will leave small marks, but who cares!? No one will know but you and perhaps a mechanic. The ease of use is worth it.

This is not the exact one, but you get the idea. One size fits (nearly) all.
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/oil_wrench.cfm

Originally Posted by slowkarter
... But I guess what really griped me was the oil filter holder on the block. First you need a hex wrench to open the small drain, then I nearly broke my arms taking off the "cap".
-Anyone know the exact diameter for the oil filter "cap" that holds the filter & screws into the block? Is there a special tool since it is made of hard plastic, so as not to round it or scar it?
-Finally, is the smaller hex drain plug a true MM size, or a poorly machined SAE? Anyone know what size for sure? I seem to recall 6mm, but it was not a snug fit?
Thanks for the info on the oil as well. Since the '02 Stang also uses 5w-20 I go thru it a bit quicker than I'd like.
And yes after 5K of primarily fwy driving in LA, the oil was black! Back up to 29.6 mpg so it beats my '05 Exploder.

Quick Reply: Ford Escape Hybrid Oil Filter!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands