Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Complaints

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Complaints

I’m hoping you can help me. Our 2005 FEH is sitting in Palm Springs right now (we’re in LA) and needs MAJOR repairs.
We purchased it 6 months ago with about 40k miles on it, and had a couple of “stop safely now” faults I associated with overheating and while in PS another series of them that id’d on the dash as emissions control faults.
Dealer sez it needs:
- “Service Harness”… recall item, no charge
-Entire battery pack – damage could have originated from service harness, no charge
-New AC Pump and 2 new fans for hybrid battery pack – I am told I must pay over $1,100 for these. Dealer referred to tsb’s requiring upgrades on these items. Oh, and they also said they aren’t optional… “the car won’t run without these upgrades”?!?
I have seen threads that refer to the service harness issue as an old recall item here. I have also had extensive experience with other makers (VW in particular) who have gladly paid the toll for all TSB items, even including extensive ($3,000+) drivetrain repairs.
To wit… Should I be required to pay for the AC Pump and fans? Wouldn’t they either be covered as a TSB or under the hybrid systems warranty? It seems to me that I wouldn’t have to replace them on a non-hybrid because they WOULDN’T EXIST!?! Grateful for any help/feedback you can provide!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Name:  fordinternalbatteryheater-1.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  138.5 KB

a real photo
Name:  fordescapehybridbatteryopened.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  58.4 KB

Print these photo out. Ask the dealership about the "fans". Ask where are these fans located. Note the photo shows fans inside the hybrid battery pack. If these are the fans, you do not pay for this as it is part of the hybrid battery pack.

However, you stated the AC pump and fans for the hybrid battery pack. This is likely outside of the hybrid battery pack. I don't have my service manual right here but someone needs to chip in provide a photo and description. There have been several recent threads on issues with the "blend-door" and overheating with the hybrid battery pack due to problems with the AC system. This AC system for the hybrid battery pack is not covered by the hybrid warranty.

The service recall for the hybrid battery harness was issued in September 2007. The previous owner of your FEH should have had this done. If you purchased this vehicle from a Ford Dealership, then they were at fault for not providing needed service on a vehicle that had a recall prior to re-selling it.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

Thank-you so much for your response. One of the most noticible distinctions of this vehicle has been the consistent (every drive over 5 minutes) running of the rear fan system, including this most recent trip, AND copious amounts of condensation on the ground at the left rear of vehicle. In my experience, these are indications of a healthy ac system.
My interpretation of the service tech's dialogue is that Ford is requiring upgrades of these systems to ensure better cooling and compatibility with the new battery pack? This would mean that they didn't necessarily fail, although I will learn more when I ask "smart questions" (thanks again!) of the tech tomorrow morning.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Un-Enthusiast

My battery fans are being replaced today and they tell me they submitted it to Ford for warranty.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Enthusiast

2009 Escape 2wd less than 10k miles... Complete brake failure going about 30mpg... Had the brake to the floor with no response and only came up a bit, pushed a few times then down-shifted and put into park when car rolled to a stop. Luckily it was after a major intersection and there were no other cars or pedestrians. It could have been bad! Turned the car off then on and the brakes work like normal, had it towed to the dealership and they say there is "no code" so there is no problem? Had to go to corporate office and now the "engineers" are looking into it. I guess we will see.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

This reminded me that I have had the Escape Hybrid for four years, with no problems, and a steady 30 mpg gas average.

BUT a couple of months ago I was rear-ended in stop and go traffic by an unfortunate young man who was paying no attention, and there was lots of damage. His car (belonging to a friend) was completely creamed, and I shudder to think of the insurance implications for him.

Among other things we needed a new HV battery, which has so far been no problem, but our LV battery, which was shaken up, developed a later problem that is the subject here.

I tried to start the car one morning and was met by flashing headlights and a honking horn, which continued after I removed the key. Disconnecting the LV battery stopped the noise, but I thought it was the burglar alarm gone crazy. It turns out that that is the signal for a LV battery that needs attention, a fact mentioned nowhere in my literature. So I replaced the LV battery and all is well.

But the story isn't over. The LV battery was well inside its stated warranty period, but the dealer refused to honor the warranty. He said that yes the battery has a warranty if you buy it at an auto supply store, but when installed in a new Escape, the warranty is invalid. I wrote Ford, who agreed. I had to pay full price, and was sorry I had gone to a dealer.

Not a big deal, but the policy stinks. A warranty is a warranty.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

My understanding is that the stock 12v battery installed on the assembly line does not get a warranty, other than the 3 year / 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. ( most Lead Acid batteries are 60 or 72 months these days, with some labeled as 84 months )

My Colorado Ford dealer sells replacement batteries that DO come with either 84 month, or a whopping 108 month ( 9 year ) warranty, but cost $129.00.
So since the "warranty" is pro-rated after the first 2 or 3 years, you get what you pay for. So not worth it, really.

BTW, it WAS the alarm circuit that was making the horn honk, but a low voltage 12v battery was the root cause of the alarm going off. It probably "thought" someone was tampering with your car. Many alarms go off from a voltage drop when the dome light goes on from someone opening a car door.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good points, and I was stupid. Of course the alarm system interprets an unexpected low voltage on the 12v battery as an incursion, which is what makes the alarm system an unintended voltage monitor. And no wonder removing the key didn't stop the caterwauling. Thanks.

I was offended by having to pay full price for a battery clearly marked with a longer warranty, but I was convinced that that was their policy. When they use off-the-shelf items from third parties, they ought to honor the longer of the warranties. Just my view.

Originally Posted by gpsman1
My understanding is that the stock 12v battery installed on the assembly line does not get a warranty, other than the 3 year / 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. ( most Lead Acid batteries are 60 or 72 months these days, with some labeled as 84 months )

My Colorado Ford dealer sells replacement batteries that DO come with either 84 month, or a whopping 108 month ( 9 year ) warranty, but cost $129.00.
So since the "warranty" is pro-rated after the first 2 or 3 years, you get what you pay for. So not worth it, really.

BTW, it WAS the alarm circuit that was making the horn honk, but a low voltage 12v battery was the root cause of the alarm going off. It probably "thought" someone was tampering with your car. Many alarms go off from a voltage drop when the dome light goes on from someone opening a car door.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

I've recently bought a 2007 Ford Escape SUV Hybrid, with 36,000 miles. In the last few days, the car has SHUT DOWN while I'm driving on the freeway. A bell rings, the display says, "Pull over safely now", or something similar to that. Then, it mentions something about "check the Emission System?" I've been able to re-start the car after pushing the alarm button on my key, but the car will SHUT DOWN again in a few minutes. Any ideas on this?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:03 AM
Enthusiast

Hi! Mike,
I hope you are still available for comments.
I broke the Service disconnect plug on my FEH 2009, while trying to put it on Service/Shipping Position. Now it was left on UNLock position. I have 3 questions below.
1. Can I leave it that way until I get a replacement plug?
2. Will it harm the car leaving it in the UNLock position?
3. Can I replace the plug myself. I feel afraid going to the "Stealership" as they charge you costly for everything.
Thank you so much for your help!
Leo