Ford Escape off-road deep sand driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Ford Escape off-road deep sand driving

I've been driving my Ford Escape hybrid 2009 (4WD) for a while so far and I really still enjoy riding that vehicle .... During the past month I visited Rum Valley (Jordan) many times , and this valley is a real desert with deep dry sand , my Ford 4 wheel drive performance was amazing , and wheels never spines , but I noticed though that it reaches a limit where I loose engine power completely , like if I try to drive a very deep sand , and I push on gas pedal to the end but the engine stops responding and its like if the car is telling me that it can not go further on this sand - way (but what can I see that its possible to go further ) ,,, the question is how to go further to the maximum limits ... Any ideas on this part guys ....

Old 04-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Default Re: Ford Escape off-road deep sand driving

Originally Posted by steefozo
I've been driving my Ford Escape hybrid 2009 (4WD) for a while so far and I really still enjoy riding that vehicle .... During the past month I visited Rum Valley (Jordan) many times , and this valley is a real desert with deep dry sand , my Ford 4 wheel drive performance was amazing , and wheels never spines , but I noticed though that it reaches a limit where I loose engine power completely , like if I try to drive a very deep sand , and I push on gas pedal to the end but the engine stops responding and its like if the car is telling me that it can not go further on this sand - way (but what can I see that its possible to go further ) ,,, the question is how to go further to the maximum limits ... Any ideas on this part guys ....
Possible your traction control is kicking in.

GaryG

Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 AM
Enthusiast

After checking car manual , I found that GaryG comment is correct : its the traction control system that prevents wheels to spin by reducing engine power , this can be disabled by Turing off the RSS switch on Escape 2009 models and later ..

Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Some Escapes have a system that was used to detect overheating of the AWD rear drive clutch and would actually disable it fully if it overheated. That would leave you with front drive only making it highly probable that wheelspin would result each and every time you give it gas and you gte TC activation.

But thee should be an icon lit up advising you of same.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steefozo
I've been driving my Ford Escape hybrid 2009 (4WD) for a while so far and I really still enjoy riding that vehicle .... During the past month I visited Rum Valley (Jordan) many times , and this valley is a real desert with deep dry sand , my Ford 4 wheel drive performance was amazing , and wheels never spines , but I noticed though that it reaches a limit where I loose engine power completely , like if I try to drive a very deep sand , and I push on gas pedal to the end but the engine stops responding and its like if the car is telling me that it can not go further on this sand - way (but what can I see that its possible to go further ) ,,,

the question is how to go further to the maximum limits ... Any ideas on this part guys ...

You can disable TC by pulling the ABS fuse. But then you should excersize greater constrain on the throttling level since you now have an indication that the AWD system was being overstressed.

Hope that helps.