Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Ford hybrids will be profitable this year

Ford hybrids will be profitable this year

Old 01-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Ford hybrids will be profitable this year

I can see that. Since there have been no big changes in 5 years, the R&D cost is now spread over 100,000 cars, vs. 20,000 the first year.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Gioia also said Ford is exploring gasoline-electric hybrids that use the company's new EcoBoost system. EcoBoost uses a turbocharger and direct fuel injection to improve fuel economy and lower emissions. Gioia said a hybrid with EcoBoost could have a much smaller gasoline engine without hurting performance.
Wow, they might be dumping the Adkinson/Miller cycle motors.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Maybe Mark or someone else can explain the effect of installing varible valve timing on the current 2.3L Atkinson engine found in the Escape Hybrid. Would this boost torque-horsepower at the expense of fuel economy? Would this be a cheaper (better?) solution for the Hybrid?

As for the EcoBoost system, Ford only has to look at Mazda. Mazda currently has this type of setup in the 2.3L engine found in the CX7 and CX9 vehicles. Maybe we should sent QueenMary an e-mail since she recently traded in her FWD Escape Hybrid for the CX7 AWD Mazda.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Maybe Mark or someone else can explain the effect of installing varible valve timing on the current 2.3L Atkinson engine found in the Escape Hybrid. Would this boost torque-horsepower at the expense of fuel economy? Would this be a cheaper (better?) solution for the Hybrid?
A very interesting question. Doesn't our ICE attempt to create an Adkinson cycle by playing with valve timing already, instead of by the more typical asymmetrical stroke lengths?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:41 PM

The EcoBoost will be interesting to see. I see two problems with that: 1) turbos need premium gas and 2) once you step into the boost, your mpg drops FAST (my old Outback would run about 4mpg at WOT). However, if it were designed to run on ethanol, that would take care of point 1--and make point 2 worse!

Regardless, I am stoked to see that they will be profitable on the Hybrids. I wish they had the capacity to make as many cars as consumers demand!

Old 01-16-2008, 03:50 PM

dang it, now I want audio controls and an EcoBoost!

Old 01-16-2008, 03:56 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by WaltPA
A very interesting question. Doesn't our ICE attempt to create an Adkinson cycle by playing with valve timing already, instead of by the more typical asymmetrical stroke lengths?
The FEH does play with the valve timing to simulate the Atkinson cycle. But, the FEH timing is static. Variable valve timing dynamically changes the valves' point of opening to achieve improved efficiency, emmisions, or power.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by DavidH
The FEH does play with the valve timing to simulate the Atkinson cycle. But, the FEH timing is static. Variable valve timing dynamically changes the valves' point of opening to achieve improved efficiency, emmisions, or power.
With VVT, would one have an engine that actually could dynamically vary between Atkinson and Otto cycles? Well, again, with Atkinson being Ford's interpretation based on value timing.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think the extent to which variable valve timing on a conventional engine can simulate Atkinson cycle is limited since the compression ratio can't be varied. Once you have a high compression ratio (12 to 1 or more), there is a limit to how much you can reduce the valve overlap at low speed before you get serious detonation, even with adjustable timing.

Also, adding turbocharging or supercharging is not necessarily performance oriented. You can control the supercharging to give compression boost where you need it most to maximize economy.

There are probably a lot of potential gains in adjusting the cycle but in the real world they are probably 5 - 10% gains and not 30-40% gains.

Quick Reply: Ford hybrids will be profitable this year

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands