Ford recalling 2005-2008 FEH for MECS Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford recalling 2005-2008 FEH for MECS Pump

Heads up, recall notices were mailed. I received mine today.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ford Canada is clueless about it. I talked to my dealership and they have no idea what i'm talking about. Guess Canadians don't count in this particular recall.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Feral Engineer

My letter said unless your dash light is on, no soup for you - at least until more parts are available. A second notice is supposedly gonna be sent when parts are in.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by travelover
My letter said unless your dash light is on, no soup for you - at least until more parts are available. A second notice is supposedly gonna be sent when parts are in.
Pretty much what my letter said too. "Keep monitoring your dash lights", I'm sure that will help if the pump fails and my car stalls. Thanks again Ford.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by travelover
I haven't received my notice yet but I do see it as pending for my vehicle on owner.ford.com.

So what happens with those of us who have already replaced the MECS pump and just need the inspection and sign off? Any mention of that in the recall notice?

Old 11-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by econoline
I haven't received my notice yet but I do see it as pending for my vehicle on owner.ford.com.

So what happens with those of us who have already replaced the MECS pump and just need the inspection and sign off? Any mention of that in the recall notice?
Yea, it say if you had it replaced already, they still want to look at it to ensure the repair is up to snuff. It also says they will reimburse for the cost of the MEC pump only - give your receipt to the dealer.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford recalling 2005-2008 FEH for MECS Pump- Waste of Time

Don't get excited folks-- if you have EVER replaced the original pump, you will be sent on your way by the dealer without a new pump or any satisfaction. This will ONLY replace your old, original pump under the recall. If you paid dealer for repair, you can get reimbursed- it you just read this forum and did it yourself, you are absolutely out of luck.

I did the whole 9 yards- scheduled the appointment, got a special call to the dealer from Ford customer service, had an ACTIVE MECS pump failure warning code in the computer, and three recent "stop now" incidents-- and I left with an estimate for another $650 for a replacement pump.

Recall is a complete waste of time for those who have ever replaced a pump- unless you saved the old original and can put it back on real quick before you make your recall appointment.

Gary

Last edited by Piquant; 11-05-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

Should have added something I did learn though while at the dealer. The pump failure code can also be triggered from a failure of the engine thermostat/sensor that also creates the catastrophic engine shutdown for MECS pump- it seems that sensor doubles as the transmission coolant overheat sensor that is also triggered by an MECS pump failure. You wouldn't think so, but the thermostat/sensor may be the issue rather than a failed pump. Since the thermostat/sensor is as intermittent as the MECS pump, that sort of makes sense. Since the thermostat is integral to the housing, and also includes the sensor-- that code could be also caused by either the thermostat or the sensor.

Regardless, I am changing the thermostat and sensor tomorrow and hoping for the best- after 3 replacement pump failures. At 210k and no other issues other than normal wear and tear and some expensive front wheel bearings, perhaps that is the issue. No one will ride in the thing besides me anyway now with the random shutdowns, so it is worth a try.

Gary

Last edited by Piquant; 11-05-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:11 AM

Rcvd the notice a few days ago. Mailed off a letter with receipt (from 2009) for the new design pump. I replaced my MECS Pump in 2009 at 51,000 miles after noticing on this site that people were experiencing failures at about 50,000 miles. Since this car was a commuter car for my wife and the distances are long out here and very cold in the winter, I didn't want her to get stuck out in the open or be without her daily wheels.

I now have 211,000 miles on the car and its running fine (except for the axle knocking noted elsewhere!).

Will let you know how Ford handles this one since it was a proactive replacement.

Last edited by Bill Winney; 11-09-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast

Got my letter about two weeks ago. I had the work done by the dealership. They required an inspection to verify that it was still the one that was replaced. After that verification, it took about a week for them to get a check cut for me. The full amount of my repair was refunded.

Quick Reply: Ford recalling 2005-2008 FEH for MECS Pump

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands