Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Ford Sued over Fusion, C-Max Mileage Claims (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/ford-sued-over-fusion-c-max-mileage-claims-28439/)

harrynew 12-27-2012 05:47 PM

Ford Sued over Fusion, C-Max Mileage Claims

For those of you FEH owners who, like me, have been considering a C-Max, check my post in the Fusion forum about a class-action suit that has been filed against Ford for false mileage claims involving the C-Max and the Fusion Hybrid.

Red 01-02-2013 12:52 PM

Re: Ford Sued over Fusion, C-Max Mileage Claims

Isn't that silly. The EPA does the testing and Ford lists whatever the EPA test says.

I can get way over the MPG claims by trying. I got 54.4 MPG in my 2010 Fusion Hybrid that is rated at 41 MPG. Your mileage may very.

wptski 01-03-2013 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Red (Post 246156)
Isn't that silly. The EPA does the testing and Ford lists whatever the EPA test says.

I can get way over the MPG claims by trying. I got 54.4 MPG in my 2010 Fusion Hybrid that is rated at 41 MPG. Your mileage may very.

I don't think that the EPA does the tests but each manufactuer does following the proper procedure. I think that was mentioned during the problem at Kia.

stevedebi 01-03-2013 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by wptski (Post 246172)
I don't think that the EPA does the tests but each manufactuer does following the proper procedure. I think that was mentioned during the problem at Kia.

The EPA does some testing, but most is left up to the manufacturer.

2k3 Mach 01-06-2013 06:22 AM

So...

Ford makes a car that can "Go EV up to 62 MPH"

4 of the 5 EPA highway tests are at 60 MPH

Communist Reports and other magazines do their own testing in (quote) "Real world driving" which goes well over 62 MPH.

Anyone with half a brain can see that going over 62 MPH will hit the mileage harder in these hybrids than any other car.

Ford didn't de-tune it and put in a 115 HP motor like a Prius V, in an effort to give the owners the option of having power if needed.

Plus they're coming out in the winter, which doesn't help.

harrynew 01-07-2013 06:41 PM

Consumer Reports has just published ratings of 35/38/37 for the 2013 FFH, and written to both the EPA and to Ford asking why the difference.

Ford replied: "Early C-Max and Fusion Hybrid customers praise the vehicles and report a range of fuel economy figures, including some reports above 47 mpg." That is hardly a convincing defense.

I have a 2008 FEH, which gets the 34/30 that is on the window sticker, and was looking to replace it with a C-Max. But, last year, I noted that Ford took many, many months of delayed product introduction working to achieve that 47/47 figure for the C-Max, and that raised questions about the integrity of the claimed mpg.

While I will keep my FEH, which I really like, I am turned off by questionable manipulations, and not buy a new Ford Hybrid at this time.

Billyk 01-13-2013 08:17 AM

Consumer Reports usually reports on MPG figures on the bottom portion of the bell shape figures that real owners report. I am not surprised by their findings.

jswjr600 01-13-2013 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by harrynew (Post 246279)
Consumer Reports has just published ratings of 35/38/37 for the 2013 FFH, and written to both the EPA and to Ford asking why the difference.

Ford replied: "Early C-Max and Fusion Hybrid customers praise the vehicles and report a range of fuel economy figures, including some reports above 47 mpg." That is hardly a convincing defense.

I have a 2008 FEH, which gets the 34/30 that is on the window sticker, and was looking to replace it with a C-Max. But, last year, I noted that Ford took many, many months of delayed product introduction working to achieve that 47/47 figure for the C-Max, and that raised questions about the integrity of the claimed mpg.

While I will keep my FEH, which I really like, I am turned off by questionable manipulations, and not buy a new Ford Hybrid at this time.

I am in the same boat. I was initially very interested in the c-max, but the more I read the less I am interested. Ford is really making a PR mistake by kicking the can. Did they learn nothing from the Toyota recall debacles?

travelover 01-15-2013 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jswjr600 (Post 246378)
I am in the same boat. I was initially very interested in the c-max, but the more I read the less I am interested. Ford is really making a PR mistake by kicking the can. Did they learn nothing from the Toyota recall debacles?

Apples and oranges. Toyota had a safety issue. Ford followed the EPA test procedure and provided the results, as required by law. If the procedure does not correlate to real customer use, that is the EPA's problem, not Ford's.

jswjr600 01-15-2013 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by travelover (Post 246414)
Apples and oranges. Toyota had a safety issue. Ford followed the EPA test procedure and provided the results, as required by law. If the procedure does not correlate to real customer use, that is the EPA's problem, not Ford's.

I think you missed my point, which was that avoiding a problem like this is a public relations roasted in waiting.

But, to address yours, Hyundai is currently paying out to customers who are not getting the mileage claimed.

Apparently, the EPA gives manufacturers the standards for testing for MPG, they may or may not do the actual testing. Manufacturers can probably game that system.

Also, when I enter Ford c-max in Google news, there are a whole bunch of articles stating that the c-max is not meeting mileage claims. That is not what you want to sell cars whose main selling point is its mileage.