Ford and Toyota partnership

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford and Toyota partnership

These writers(in the linked article) are like most people in the general public, acluelistic. My term for someone without a clue. They only focus on highway mileage(like most Ford Commercials). They say 31mpg(highway) and never mention what a 4X4 gets around town.Most of us have a balance of highway and city driving. I would never claim to be a hyper-miler but in ordinary driving our 2006 4X4 has been between 30 and 31mpg since we purchased it. I really doubt if these new engines will replace what our hybrid will do in mixed driving.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eldiee
These writers(in the linked article) are like most people in the general public, acluelistic. My term for someone without a clue. They only focus on highway mileage(like most Ford Commercials). They say 31mpg(highway) and never mention what a 4X4 gets around town.Most of us have a balance of highway and city driving. I would never claim to be a hyper-miler but in ordinary driving our 2006 4X4 has been between 30 and 31mpg since we purchased it. I really doubt if these new engines will replace what our hybrid will do in mixed driving.
No, it won't get the city MPG, but I suspect they will be considerably cheaper to buy, and less complex in design. Plus I think Ford is limited as to how many battery packs it can get.

Personally, I am wondering if Ford will support the Fusion hybrid, or convert it to Ecoboost as well.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast

I thought I read just recently that Ford was going to dramatically increase the number of hybrids they produce each year. Has this been reversed in the last few months?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:06 AM

I thought I read just recently that Ford was going to dramatically increase the number of hybrids they produce each year. Has this been reversed in the last few months?
They will be using the hybrid powertrain in the new C-platform minivan/wagon/crossover-thingy. (I think it is actually a small minivan, but they don't call it that). It will be hybrid or pure electric. And the Fusion is still set for the hybrid, I believe.

Just not the Escape. The current model is the only mechanical AWD hybrid small SUV available (others use electric motors for the rear wheels). I suppose it is the end of that era...

Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

The main reason we bought our 4X4 escape hybrid is that it was available as a 4X4 for winter driving. It has so far run an average between 30 and 31mpg. I thing Ford has been not taking advantage of being the only hybrid SUV 4X4 available. Now they want out of that market for some strange reason. I don't think this new C-Max will be available in 4X4 configuration. Maybe you have read otherwise.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:49 PM

The main reason we bought our 4X4 escape hybrid is that it was available as a 4X4 for winter driving. It has so far run an average between 30 and 31mpg. I thing Ford has been not taking advantage of being the only hybrid SUV 4X4 available. Now they want out of that market for some strange reason. I don't think this new C-Max will be available in 4X4 configuration. Maybe you have read otherwise.
No, I have not read that.

I was recently shopping Escapes at the local dealer. They had about 60 or so of them, and about 6 were FEH, but none were AWD.