Four-wheeling in the FEH

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default Four-wheeling in the FEH

Well, we put 'er through 'er paces on Sunday, and she 'passed' with flying colors! Due to a REALLY bad error in judgment, we ended up taking our brand new FEH on a SERIOUS four-wheeling "road" (definitely more of an ATV track; it's amazing how much a road can deteriorate in 20 years...), and ALMOST got seriously stuck (in rocky, loggy mud). Although it appeared impossible, we managed to get 'er turned around (about a 20-point turn, I think, with some slight bottoming out, though no apparent damage) and back over a "hill" that my husband insists on calling "The Great Pyramid of Cheops", during which maneuver she was up on 2 or three wheels for a brief period (I was standing behind, and really thought she was going over; I couldn't see if the front wheels were both on the ground, but the right rear was a good foot in the air ).

Not something I'd *recommend* trying in ANYONE'S new, $30,000 hybrid vehicle... the first payment for which I mailed today... but good to know she's up to the challenge!

Old 05-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Four-wheeling in the FEH

Good to know. I found my FEH is very good in the snow and ice. I did get to make a quick run on the beach right after I bought it and it did well. But have spent almost no real time off road. I don't plan anything more than a nice graded fire road and some more sandy beaches, but it is good to know it is capable of more.

What has really impressed me so far is the FEH's (4x4) absolute traction on payment. I have not heard anything more than a tire chirp and a good health howl in corners from time to time. The 4x4 system is very smooth and seemless in distributing power to the rear end when needed.

Chris Brown

Old 05-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Four-wheeling in the FEH

Yeah, I've been quite impressed with AWD as well - ABS too. I've put mine through iced over roads (march rain followed by a really fast temp drop, icing over NYC), a snow storm in 40mph winds on the interstate, sierra snow, and the beach (both packed and super soft sand). She's handled it all with ease.

I guess the only small complaint with the off-road performance would be in situations where you need to get through soft stuff (snow, sand, etc.) in reverse, but I've managed to overcome these situations with a combination of forward-reverse rocking, as well as making sure to really stomp on the accelerator pedal in reverse). So it hasn't really been a problem.