Four Years of FEH Ownership, and at GH

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Four Years of FEH Ownership, and at GH

On June 1st, 2005, I took posession of my FEH, and first registered here. I had ordered it a few weeks prior to that, after doing a ton of research (Much of it here), replacing my aging '95 Explorer Sport Trac (Back when that just meant 2 door).

It has definately changed my life. I've gotten a new awareness of issues, both environmental and hybrid (I view them as two seperate issues). I've made some interesting friends in the local Sierra Club branch, and with some fellow Hybrid owners. I've been fortunate enough to become a moderator here, which has been something that I've enjoyed doing, and the FEH FAQ was the first article that I have written that I had gotten paid for. (As an author, it's impossible to forget that.) And I've gotten to interact with a lot of intelligent people who have a similar hobby that I never realized I had, hypermiling.

In upgrading from the Explorer, I got a lot of cool new features, not just the hybrid technology, like the Nav system, which has proven immensely useful. I got to go to the North American Auto Show for free, thanks to fellow board members. Unexpected bonus' to say the least. Not to mention what a conversation piece it is. I've even been lucky enough to meet someone who had read my FAQ online!

I've been keeping track here, at www.fueleconomy.gov, and in a private spreadsheet my fuel usage and savings. After one year, I have saved $1425.99 (Should've gotten an extra cent somewhere along the line ) by getting the FEH rather than the Conventional Escape I had also looked at. Had I retained the Explorer and not gotten the FEH, I would've spent a laughable $2358.54 in fuel costs. I have not had a single problem with the vehicle, and have learned a lot over this last year about the vehicle and how to use it. All of it enjoyable, a kind of ultimate real life game. Last weekend, I removed the Roof Rack. Does that cover the $3800 initial price difference? No, but that's hardly an insurmountable difference that the media would have you believe. (And at that rate, by year 3 I'm ahead, let alone by year 10!)

The FEH certainly paid for itself when I went on vacation a few weeks back, when I made a solo drive 5 states away to a city I've never been to. I had no problems getting right to the hotel, around town, or getting down there or back, thanks to the Nav, and I made the trip with only a few fuel stops.

Now, that's not to say that I think the FEH is perfect. As I've mentioned before, I've got my complaints. The arm rests for sure, being hard plastic rather than a covered material, lack of exterior temp gauge, and the rear seats obscuring the mirror topping them. Other hybrid features would be nice, like an ICE off button. However, that's not something that detracts from the enjoyment of the FEH one little bit. It has taken good care of me, as has the GH. I'm putting this out there to let the universe know that I am grateful of its care of me. (And keep giving me good MPGs! )

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 06-01-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: One Year of FEH Ownership, and at GH

Congratulations. Because I've owned my FEH only a few weeks - and because the info on this site (including your FEH FAQ) was instrumental in helping me determine to purchase the FEH - it's good to hear you're satisfied after a year.

I'm having a ball driving my '05 FEH and trust I'll be able to say the same this time next year.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Congrats, Pravus Prime! Your posts and the FEH FAQ have been a staple part of my reading diet since I became committed to purchasing a hybrid Ford Escape.

I absolutely love my FEH, quirks and all (posted in other threads -- MP3, programmable seat/mirror settings, etc.) My husband loves it as well, which is a relief since although I knew he really liked the Ford Escape Limited we drove as a rental for 10 days in Washington, D.C., I was not sure how much he'd warm up to the hybrid tech. and any perceived responsiveness/power differences (short answer: none)

I love the variety of posts and threads found here, and how quickly one can get a response to a "Does this sound/look right to you?" question.

I look forward to posting my "One Year of FEH Ownership, and @ GH" post in ~March '07.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:52 PM
It is easy being green

Congrats! While i have only been a member of GH for a week, i to have had my FEH for a year now and am still as excited to drive it as i was the first day i got it.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

After 9 months of ownership, I have definitely gotten into the whole maximum mileage
idea-using GaryG's methods I am now posting 33.6 Average Econ-no NAV, so I
don't know what my "best" trip is-a few times I have pretty much glided to the
store and back again! Its fun to play with the shifter and see how long I can go EV.
The warmer weather is helping, since the engine warms up much faster. Still trying
for Hypermiler, one tenth at a time!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Bump.

It's now been two years.

Estimated savings in fuel by having the FEH instead of a standard Escape: $2838.19, my previous 1995 Ford Explorer: $4510.63.

I still don't have any problems to report, other than unusually high mileage.

I'm going to be interviewed by NPR very soon, and had this article written about me, http://www.hybridfest.com/HourDetroit.htm, as well as my own automotive column and perhaps a syndicated one as well in the near future.

The FEH continues to be one of my best decisions ever.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 06-04-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Enthusiast
Wink Re: Two Years of FEH Ownership, and at GH

Oh yes, I love this car, going on two years, too.
Now that I know how to reset the mileage reading,
I love getting 56+mpg coming home from the gas station (its all downhill!)
Average mpg 34+ per tank with coasting, downshifting, judicious use
of A/C and heater. Cruise control on the freeway at 65 mph (its a big
controversy here in CA right now, with all the "road boulder" Prius drivers
in the carpool lanes doing 60...)

BUT-has anyone noticed their brakes getting spongy at around 25,000 miles?
Seems like mine are traveling a little further, fluid levels are still high.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
It's now been two years.

Estimated savings in fuel by having the FEH instead of a standard Escape: $2838.19, my previous 1995 Ford Explorer: $4510.63.

I still don't have any problems to report, other than unusually high mileage.

I'm going to be interviewed by NPR very soon, and had this article written about me, http://www.hybridfest.com/HourDetroit.htm, as well as my own automotive column and perhaps a syndicated one as well in the near future.

Congrats Pravus. You're a great moderator and your knowledge and experience (along with the other FEH pioneers at GH) convinced me to buy my own 08. I'm only on my second tank and I'm already getting 34.1 mpg . Who knew helping the environment could be so much fun!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Two Years of FEH Ownership, and at GH

Congrats Pravus!

Two tanks ago I achieved Hypermiler status thanks to the methods posted here by GaryG and others. This morning's 27 mile trip to work was 39.2 mpg on the scangauge with 38.5 so far for this tank! 32.5 lifetime mpg, and climbing.

My wife and I both love the FEH and have not regretted trading in our 2005 Escape V6 last November at all.

-- Rick

Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: One Year of FEH Ownership, and at GH

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime

Congratulations, Pravus! As if ignorance about the subject wasn't enough, there are so many misconceptions about hybrids and the benefits associated with it. Hopefully this article will make at least some readers consider hybrids who wouldn't otherwise have done so.

Quick Reply: Four Years of FEH Ownership, and at GH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands