Front end noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Front end noise?

Or so it seems to from the front. A kind of cycling humm (not constant; but broken like the tip of a helicopter blades). Most noticable at 45+

Had tires rotated & balanced, noise is the same. Road surfaces do not change the noise, so I no longer suspect tires, altho it could be. I currently have General Grabber HTS with only like 30k on them, but Discount tire told me they only have X depth left & will probably need changing soon (Sorry I wan't really listening to him, but there is still 2x the distance from the wear indicator to the outside of the trad left now.

Once it thaws out in a week I'll go tug on the wheels to see if there is iny play in them; and swap wheels with my ranger so see if tires make a difference.

THe noise doesn't not change in turns; and it's not a loud clunking noise.

Think it's wheel bearings? (72K mi)

Other suggestions?
Thanks

Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Front end noise?

I would agree with your wheel/hub bearing assessment. Jack it up and check them.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Front end noise?

I've had two wheel bearings go bad. Definitely the noise changed with turns. In fact you could play it like an instrument just by turning the wheel back and forth at the right speed.