Front Stabilizers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Front Stabilizers

I went to dealer for oil change @ 64,000KM and the technician said my car's both front stabilizers got loose. I also notice sometimes there is knock or click noise from the front end when slow speed on bump road. They ask $240 for changing them.

what are these bars for? Is this a serious issue and if I don't change, it will lead to dangerous situation? Considering the car only has 64,000 km and it is a 2008 Escape hybrid AWD. Does it suppose to get this kind of problems at this mileage?

I searched google and the images are two metal bars. No idea how did they got loose and clicking...

Thank you for any suggestions...

Last edited by Sphinx88; 01-29-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Front Stabilizers

Cars seem to have great variability when it comes to longevity of front end parts. Given that it's evident that there's a problem, and that it's only $240 to fix it, you might want to regard it as getting off lightly.

I've spent $3900 in the last few months for repairs on my FEH ('09, 125,000km):
- brake job
- TPMS problems
- replaced steering column
- replaced water pump

An Internet search might reveal how common your problem is.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

The parts are probably the stabilizer links. They connect the ends of the stabilizer bar to the frame of your vehicle. Their mounting bolts either worked loose or they are wearing out. If it breaks loose, nothing catastrophic should happen. Your FEH will lean much more in turns.
They are about $40 for the parts at your local auto supply store. Just search YouTube for videos on how to install them.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Front Stabilizers

Originally Posted by xspirit
Cars seem to have great variability when it comes to longevity of front end parts. Given that it's evident that there's a problem, and that it's only $240 to fix it, you might want to regard it as getting off lightly.

I've spent $3900 in the last few months for repairs on my FEH ('09, 125,000km):
- brake job
- TPMS problems
- replaced steering column
- replaced water pump

An Internet search might reveal how common your problem is.
That is quite a work! Did they say that hybrid's eletrical magnetic braking save your brakes thus you don't need to replace the pads or drums for long time? So far the only thing I changed is the battery fan motor (Blend door actuator, with the famous wrench sign).

Old 01-30-2014, 05:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: Front Stabilizers

Originally Posted by us035976
The parts are probably the stabilizer links. They connect the ends of the stabilizer bar to the frame of your vehicle. Their mounting bolts either worked loose or they are wearing out. If it breaks loose, nothing catastrophic should happen. Your FEH will lean much more in turns.
They are about $40 for the parts at your local auto supply store. Just search YouTube for videos on how to install them.
Thanks! You are the handy man....if so I may find a local shop to change them. Because I don't have a garage.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sphinx88
That is quite a work! Did they say that hybrid's eletrical magnetic braking save your brakes thus you don't need to replace the pads or drums for long time? So far the only thing I changed is the battery fan motor (Blend door actuator, with the famous wrench sign).
Probably this was my FEH's first brake job, and bear in mind it has twice the mileage yours has. The regenerative braking certainly saves the brakes. I bought it used at about 108,000km, so I don't know how the previous owner used/abused it. I also replaced the ambient temperature sensor and a blend door actuator motor, but I didn't list them as they were cheap and I did them myself.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would suggest buying Moog replacement parts. Much more substantial than factory, greaseable and lifetime warranty. Go to the end of this thread where I put up pictures of both Moog and Motorcraft parts:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...76/index2.html

Old 02-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by GatorJ
I would suggest buying Moog replacement parts. Much more substantial than factory, greaseable and lifetime warranty. Go to the end of this thread where I put up pictures of both Moog and Motorcraft parts:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...76/index2.html
I have not had luck with the Moogs. Replaced them twice and are now ready for a third set. I think it is just a crappy design. Originals did not make 30,000 miles.