Front wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Front wheel alignment

A better question is to ask will the neutral position allow longer/greater rolling distance when compared to the OEM "toed-in" alignment?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
Gary, not sure, kind of confused about this. There's really noticeably wear on the inside edges of the original (front) tires right now. The wear is visible enough that friends have commented on it. I rotated the tires every 10k miles in an "X" pattern including the spare. I've run 38psi on average since new. Don't want to go much higher in psi because I drive a lot of rough dirt roads and the ride gets pretty harsh.

What would you suggest? What psi are you running?

Won't we all need camber kits eventually to align the wheels?
I will not recommend exceeding Max sidewall pressure but I run 50psi. I also do not recommend altering Ford specs. I had bad inside wear at ~12,000 miles after an alignment and rotation at ~5,000 miles. I took my '05 FEH back to Goodyear and the owner rechecked the alignment but said all Escapes have this same problem with the factory specs.

Wayne Gerdes had me doing coasting test back then and I ended up doing them with ~52psi in my tires. I loved the results and continued to kept them at 50psi. Not only did my handling and MPG improve, but the inside wear STOPPED! Later I had an incident in a hard turn that my FEH would have rolled if I had the recommended tire pressure but I'm here to say 50psi saved that from happening. I was shaking from the incident but I was so glad I prevented a serious accident with my tire pressure.

I would not NEVER change the Ford recommended alignment specs for the very reason above. Is tire wear more important than you and your family? Ford did not think so and neither do I.

GaryG

Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
I will not recommend exceeding Max sidewall pressure but I run 50psi. I also do not recommend altering Ford specs. I had bad inside wear at ~12,000 miles after an alignment and rotation at ~5,000 miles. I took my '05 FEH back to Goodyear and the owner rechecked the alignment but said all Escapes have this same problem with the factory specs.

Wayne Gerdes had me doing coasting test back then and I ended up doing them with ~52psi in my tires. I loved the results and continued to kept them at 50psi. Not only did my handling and MPG improve, but the inside wear STOPPED! Later I had an incident in a hard turn that my FEH would have rolled if I had the recommended tire pressure but I'm here to say 50psi saved that from happening. I was shaking from the incident but I was so glad I prevented a serious accident with my tire pressure.

I would not NEVER change the Ford recommended alignment specs for the very reason above. Is tire wear more important than you and your family? Ford did not think so and neither do I.

GaryG
How/why do you think that the higher pressure kept you from rolling over?

I had a incident where over inflation would have caused a accident had there been somebody along side me!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
How/why do you think that the higher pressure kept you from rolling over?

I had a incident where over inflation would have caused a accident had there been somebody along side me!
Bill, you've got a short memory. If I explain things to you again, you will just forget. You've told us about this incident:

"Well, on my way home after the oil change, I noticed the pogo stick ride. Before I even made it home the rearend went up and over. Now the Ranger was a 4x4 SuperCab Splash which has a fiberglass box which is light. This may have made it worse, not sure. It was scary. The first thing I checked after getting home was the tires and they were way over inflated."
Well, on my way home after the oil change, I noticed the pogo stick ride. Before I even made it home the rearend went up and over. Now the Ranger was a 4x4 SuperCab Splash which has a fiberglass box which is light. This may have made it worse, not sure. It was scary. The first thing I checked after getting home was the tires and they were way over inflated."

I was discussing my same incident and this was your response.

GaryG

Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Imported from Detroit

Bill, you've got a short memory. If I explain things to you again, you will just forget. You've told us about this incident:

"Well, on my way home after the oil change, I noticed the pogo stick ride. Before I even made it home the rearend went up and over. Now the Ranger was a 4x4 SuperCab Splash which has a fiberglass box which is light. This may have made it worse, not sure. It was scary. The first thing I checked after getting home was the tires and they were way over inflated."
Well, on my way home after the oil change, I noticed the pogo stick ride. Before I even made it home the rearend went up and over. Now the Ranger was a 4x4 SuperCab Splash which has a fiberglass box which is light. This may have made it worse, not sure. It was scary. The first thing I checked after getting home was the tires and they were way over inflated."

I was discussing my same incident and this was your response.

GaryG
If you took the time to find my incident, why not quote yours again or post a link at least? Frankly, I don't even remember what forum that was in. Funny thing is that I remember the things that happened to me but not "all" that happens to others in these forums! You seem to have a problem when someone questions you. Do you have a ego problem?

I found your incident.
>>
I seldom press it in cornering or anytime but I try to maintain as much speed in the turns if I don't have to stop for a light or sign. I've never put the FEH into a slide condition in the rain or dry streets turning corners because that would be plain reckless driving. I did have one time in my '05 without TC I was in a high speed controlled slide at ~70mph and thank God I had 50psi because most likely I would have went off the road and crashed or rolled over or both.
>>

Last edited by wptski; 06-26-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Smile Re: Front wheel alignment

Originally Posted by wptski
If you took the time to find my incident, why not quote yours again or post a link at least? Frankly, I don't even remember what forum that was in. Funny thing is that I remember the things that happened to me but not "all" that happens to others in these forums! You seem to have a problem when someone questions you. Do you have a ego problem?
>>
I didn't have a problem when you questioned me the first time and giving you the answer. I was just pointing out your short memory and that I have already addressed your concerns once and there is no point in doing it over and over and over again. Even the young Willard West can remember the questions and answers the first time. I was going to post the link but I thought that you looking it up again would be healthy for you.

GaryG

Old 06-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Imported from Detroit

I didn't have a problem when you questioned me the first time and giving you the answer. I was just pointing out your short memory and that I have already addressed your concerns once and there is no point in doing it over and over and over again. Even the young Willard West can remember the questions and answers the first time. I was going to post the link but I thought that you looking it up again would be healthy for you.

GaryG
Wow! You can remember "every" reply from "every" user "ever" made to you? Really or is this just more BS?

BTW: Your explaination of your incident was and still is rather vague!