Garmin EcoRoute HD

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Garmin EcoRoute HD

Anyone use one yet? My garmin gps is compatible with it and i'm toying with the idea of buying one in order to give additional info on my 2008 FEH. The price is very reasonable ($180 CAD), connects to the OBDII port and communicates with my Nuvi 1490 via Bluetooth.

Not sure if it gives hybrid specific info but not much info on it.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Garmin EcoRoute HD

That looks like a really cool product, where did you see that listed for $180?

Also, for people with external GPS, where do you mount your device? My car has been broken into twice, and two Garmin devices stolen, because of the presence of suction cups which created an impression that my gps was possibly stored somewhere in the car. I have yet to find a mount that is less conspicuous.

Speaking of mounts, for the EcoRoute, the location of the mount has to be strategic so the Garmin will not have a bundle of cables dangling around the dash area.

In this case, the Garmin may already have a power cable. Now the OBD II cable has to be connected to it as well, which could create a "messy" look around the dash.

Idea is great, I wish the BIG brands like Pioneer, Kenwood would build the ODB II interface directly into their system so an in-dash system would have the fancy OBD II info displayed!!

Alternatively, maybe the next Garmin GPS could have a video out so the cool ODB II info could be displayed on the in-dash displays too as most of them have at least a couple of video inputs! Wait, maybe Garmin already has this feature? I need to look up on this now.

Last edited by greenhybrider; 09-19-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-ecoroute-hd-cable.html has it for $105 CAD here in Calgary

My GPS is mounted up in my dash and I never take it out. The Ecoroute simply plugs into the OBD II port and requires no external power as it is powered by the OBD connector. I believe they provide double sided tape and zip ties to secure it to the inside of the foot well.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wbonville
http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-ecoroute-hd-cable.html has it for $105 CAD here in Calgary
Here's $89 with free shipping for US customers: http://www.buy.com/prod/213753691.html

Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the links, just watched the video on gpscity, and realize that EcoRoute HD is actually using bluetooth to communicate with the GPS! What an elegant solution?

I wish it talks to an in-dash GPS system so that it can display on an in-dash screen, and that would be neat!