General Grabber HTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default General Grabber HTS?

Any reviews, thoughts, ideas on this suposed LRR tire?
On Tirerack.com it's like #3 rated in the 235/70/16 size; behind the Michellin LTX & GY Tripple tread, both at nearly twice the price.

I've finally got to get something soon, down to less than 3/32 each, they're loud (hoping it's just the tires) but sadly only got 47K out of the Conti's

TIA
Bryan

Old 08-13-2011, 04:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: General Grabber HTS?

Have on my BMW X 5' very loud !

Old 08-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: General Grabber HTS?

The Michelin Latitude Tours are sweet....especially if you use this truck like most folks.......as a car.

I think the Grabbers are H rated the Latitudes are T rated. Grabbers are probably popular due to the price. But from my experience with tires, "you get what you pay for."

Grabbed this quote from a post on CleanMPG: ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, an H rated tires will have more RR than a T rated tire. This is because an H rated tire will almost certainly have a cap ply, where a T rated tire will probably have just cap strips. This means the H rated tire will have more material in the tread area - and more material means more RR.

ADDITIONALLY, H rated tires tend to be designed for better handling, and the tread rubber compounds would be grippier and that also negatively impacts RR.

BUT, higher speed rated tires are also more capable, so the risk of a tire failure is lower with an H rated tire (higher) than a T rated tire. Although the H-rating is usually designated for sports sedans and coupes.

But these are generalizations and you will find there are a lot of factors involved. You could get different results unless you pay attention to the details.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

I just put two on our 06 ESCAPE hybrid and have all four on my Chevy blazer. I don't have enough miles to give any recommendation. So far they are not noisy.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks.

So far so good, 400mi, much quiter now, at least I'm not looking for the open windows like before. As quite as it was 4+ yrs ago, maybe not.

only got to drive on wet roads for 5min so far, but seemed normal. Whenever this drought is finally over maybe I can make a better report.

Also can't comment on MPG gain/loss yet as it's still 100+ daily and were running AC wite econ off, and waiting at school for kids again, so it sucks. But according to the SG, my normal work trips are spot on to where they were.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

I have about 500 miles on the new General Grabbers and now I have a new problem. The monitor in the dash says tire pressure fault. It happens after 20 minutes of driving on highway (like some others have also observed on this site). I can get rid of it by pushing set, but it comes back again. I,m wondering if the person mounting the tires damaged the sensor. Any one else figured out what could be done other than going to a Ford dealer?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by eldiee
I have about 500 miles on the new General Grabbers and now I have a new problem. The monitor in the dash says tire pressure fault. It happens after 20 minutes of driving on highway (like some others have also observed on this site). I can get rid of it by pushing set, but it comes back again. I,m wondering if the person mounting the tires damaged the sensor. Any one else figured out what could be done other than going to a Ford dealer?
That's what it sound like to me. I exchange tires and rims with my '05 & '09 FEH and got the same warning. The '05 rims didn't have TPM system so after about 20 minutes, I got a fault warning that would clear with a reset. The tire pressure light stayed On, but I cleared the message center. When I recently returned the original '09 Limit rims on the FEH, no more warnings. Same thing happens when I use my spare. If the TPM sensor is not rotating, I got the same warning with the TPM rim where the spare was.

GaryG