Get it in writing

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Every Ford dealer I've contacted has been rather casual about ordering an Escape Hybrid. Most will put your name on a list without taking a deposit. The problem is, they're also rather casual about sticking to the agreed-upon price. I've found a couple of dealerships who were taking orders at MSRP and then trying to tack on large markups at the moment of delivery. The dealer I bought mine from actually asked for $10,000 above MSRP as I arrived to pick it up. He finally dropped the markup after several hours of polite but firm discussion, during which time I offered to call the District Attorney's Consumer Fraud Unit. The tipover point was a copy of a handwritten price in my file-- not a contract, but at least documentary proof that a price was established. Moral of the story: whenever a salesman starts talking price, get it in writing.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That's great that you got the "agreed upon" price, bully for you.

The way that dealer acted is DESPICABLE and darn near criminal.

I would take my service elsewhere if I were you, and NEVER give that dealer another DIME of my money......

Old 11-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by lars-ss@Nov 15th 2004 @ 1:39 PM

I would take my service elsewhere if I were you, and NEVER give that dealer another DIME of my money......
There's another hair-curling chapter to the story which I cannot reveal now. (How's that for a teaser?) I'll post it when I can, probably in a couple of days.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:29 PM

:ph34r:

Old 11-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Oh, OK, gosh darn it, you force it out of me...

I paid $2,000 more than the contract price for the vehicle.

Huh?

Yup. The credit manager who wrote up my contract after the hours of stomach-churning sleazeball tactics by the sales manager to wring more money out of me gave me a final price as I was writing my check. It was $2,000 more than it should have been.

Yeah, yeah, I know. But it was dark in his crummy little office, I had been there all afternoon simply trying to pay what had we agreed to and leave, and, most importantly, it was Thursday night and I was about to miss Survivor. So I didn't check every little thing. Like the price.

Weeks later, as I was balancing my checking account, I discovered the error. However, when I called the dealer and politely inquired (expecting, of course, to have to take him to small claims court), he said they already knew about it and the check had "probably been mailed out." Oh, yeah, right, "it's in the mail."

As it turned out, the check did arrive the next day. It was mailed several days before I discovered the error myself, but weeks after the sale. The dealership's bookkeeper found it.

Honest error? I'm never going back to find out.

Old 11-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Site Founder

Wow. First I've heard of something like this

Old 11-26-2004, 08:45 PM

If it happened to me I'd have to write a letter and make sure the owner of the dealership received it. I'd tell your story then add something like this:

"If it were not for the watchful eye your book keeper I probably wouldn't visit your dealer again, nor would my friends. I look forward to our continuing business "

....or some other similar glowing comment about the honest book keeper.

Who knows, the owner might not be aware of what some of his sales people are doing and be appreciative for your comments.

Might even get an oil change or other coupon out of the deal too

Old 11-26-2004, 09:12 PM

Hi Ogakor:

___That is simply amazing … If only all dealerships treated the customer like the Ford dealership you dealt with although the high pressure money grab sounds very typical for a short supply automobile from just about any stealership

___On a similar note, my best ever car buying experience came from a small Ford dealership a little over a year ago. I can only hope we all have similar experiences with future car purchases.

Have you purchased a Ford lately?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 11-26-2004, 11:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm about to get my Prius very soon. I wonder how the dealer experience will be.. so far its been good. Fast transactions between contracts via mail, msrp, 3 weeks wait, and always replies to my questions promptly..

he even seemed suprised both times when i asked him if he charged over msrp

Old 11-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't let my bad experience with one dealer chill you to all of them. I had two superb previous experiences with a Toyota dealer. I've told the stories only as a warning-- keep your eyes open, do a lot more listening than talking and get everything in writing or, at least, take written notes in full view of the salesman and give him a copy.

Quick Reply: Get it in writing

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands