Getting Closer to Buying - last-minute questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Getting Closer to Buying - last-minute questions

Welp, I did the research today and from what I can tell, no dealership from Palm Beach County to Jacksonville to Crystal River to Clearwater (and everywhere in between - I live in Orlando) has an '08 FEH available to test drive. No huge surprise there, but it would have been nice.

For me, the experience of test driving a car is partially to see how the car drives but moreso to make sure that I "fit" in the car when driving (some of you may recall from past posts of mine that I'm a very short woman and I need to make sure I can reach the pedals, see over the dashboard and not sit too close to the steering wheel, all at the same time and all comfortably, while driving). If I were to test drive a regular, non-hybrid '08 Escape, would it be "close enough" to the '09 FEH so that I'll know I'll be able to drive the thing?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

The "ergonomics" of the FEH and a conventional Escape are essentially identical. The only driving experience difference is the powertrain behavior (FEH in and out of EV mode and the "shiftless" transmission). If you test drive a conventional Escape, I would recommend driving a V6. The performance is more in line with the FEH.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sharon,

The Interior layout on the regular 08 Escape is the same as the 08 FEH. You should be able to get all the "fit" information you need from any of the non-hybrid models (and they are dime-a-dozen).

The only reason I see to test drive an FEH is to get an introduction to the drivetrain and how the EV portion works and feels. If you can find an older model (05-07) FEH, you can get a very close feel for how the 08 model feels.

As for the 09, I don't think there will be much, if any, change in the interior and only minor changes in the drivetrain feel.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks KenG and MyPart...that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'll check Ford's site again to see if they have any older FEHs but if not, oh well. It would have been nice to try out one of the hybrids so I could get a feel for the EV. Not that it'd matter a whole lot...after waiting, what, 6 to 8 months before I actually see my car, I won't remember what the EV feels like anyway (grin). For me it's MUCH more a matter of seeing how I fit (after sitting in a FEH and a MMH at the local car show a few months ago, I'm 95% sure I'll be fine...but I still want to drive an Escape before I buy one).

SO...first thing to do is test drive. Easy. Next will be to try to find a dealer in that Palm Beach - Jax - Crystal River - Clearwater (I suppose I actually COULD go as far out Gainesville and Sarasota) who is willing to take X-Plan. And if that falls through, then I go for Plan B or maybe even Plan C (broker like GaryG says, or hubby says he knows of some similar deals with, I forget, AAA or BJ's or *something* acting on your behalf to help you get the car at a better price).

Old 05-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast

I went to the Ford dealership closest to me (guerinkeywest, I asked for the guy you recommended. He was there and without batting an eyelash, remembered you and what car you bought) and test drove an '08 non-hybrid Escape. I knew within 5 seconds of driving it that I'd be fine. So that question is answered. Whew!

I told him that I wanted an '09 FEH. He made a little bit of a face, saying that production wouldn't begin until the 3rd quarter of '08 (yes, I know. October) and the "green states" get more of them so I probably wouldn't see mine for another 6 months after production (yes, I'm prepared for that) and the price of the '09's are about $2K more than the '08's (yep, I know). I told him that my husband works for a company that offers X-Plan and that if they could get that price for me, they could have a sale the day after tomorrow (when my husband is off from work). He said it's dealer choice (I said I know) and that he'd have to talk to his manager and he'd let me know in a few days.

OK fine. I'll wait until Thursday morning and if I haven't heard back from him, I'll call him back.

We'll see what happens...

Old 05-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We have an 08 that you are welcome to drive! (and buy if you like it). We are near Sarasota!

The truck is listed in the marketplace! (and on craigslist)...

(we just ordered an 09)

08FEH

Old 05-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hehehe...thanks 08FEH but I'm planning on getting an '09 of my own

Old 05-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

ok but the drive offer still stands if you REALLY can't find one to take for a spin...

08FEH

Old 05-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks - I appreciate that!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast

SO...a lot has been going on for the past few days...the local place who said he would "ask his manager" if they could sell me a FEH with the X-Plan didn't pan through. He called on Wednesday night and said that because they didn't know how many FEH's would be allotted to them, they couldn't do that deal (I'm not sure what one thing has to do with the other, but...). So much for that. Pity they were the closest Ford dealership to me and where I currently do all of my maintenance and repair on my 2002 Sport Trac.

Meanwhile, I didn't want to keep all of my eggs in one basket so I had called a bunch of other Ford dealerships in the area to see what they would say about the X-Plan. One never answered their phone. One was too busy to talk to me and could they call me back. One had to check with the manager and get back to me but never did, one had to talk to the manager and called back and said "No."

And one said a resounding YES.

((THUD))

So I double-checked. FEH? Yes. '09, not '08? Yes. You'll be able to order it? Yes. And you'll sell it to us for X-Plan? Yes.

Wow.

So we went yesterday.

They actually had an '08 FEH on the lot. It was used, which I guess was why they didn't have it on the Ford inventory site when I had checked the other day. How on earth it had 27K on it is beyond me but whatever...he showed us the highlights, gave us the keys and said "Go. I'll see you when you get back." So we drove around for a good 15 or 20 minutes...fast, slow, with A/C on and in econ mode (OK, and with EVERYTHING off at a red light once or twice, so we could hear the "nothingness" of the motor).

Everything was fine so we ordered it! '08 FEH Ltd, all the bells and whistles AND he recommended a local place that might be able to help me with my issues regarding my "vertical challange" and the lift gate.

My only concern is that we have nothing in writing that says they're selling it to us for the X-Plan price. Part of me is worried about that (because I'm generally a cynical person who doesn't trust people) and the other part of me is pretty sure they're going to come through for us (the dealership is "down home good ol' boys", the owner is a Deacon in his church, they have no negatives listed with the BBB, etc). So I'm about 80% comfortable (grin).

Quick Reply: Getting Closer to Buying - last-minute questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands