Got my first "wave" today

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Got my first "wave" today

I'm a new FEH owner (2 weeks in). I haven't noticed any other FEHs or MMHs around here, but I see plenty of Priuses and probably some others I haven't recognized. However, they're always going the other direction or somewhere other than beside me. Today, however, I made my first contact with a fellow hybrid driver. On my way to work this morning, I was sitting at the stop light and noticed a Prius behind me. Since I knew he wouldn't be jetting away from the stop light, I pulled away slowly to increase my EV-only time. After we were away, he pulled into the other lane, and as I was turning left, he passed and gave me the "wave" acknowledging me as a member of the club. I felt so proud.

That's it. Nothing earthshattering. Oh, I did get 27.2 mpg on my first tank of gas, but I'm still breaking her in and re-learning how to drive. I suspect it will get better.

Russ

Old 08-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Got my first "wave" today

I love it when I see a Prius behind me, it lets me know the driver probably isn't going to ride my butt if I don't stomp the gas when the light turns green. Everyone in Atlanta jets off when the light turns green only to stomp the brake at the next light. I bought mine (06 FEH) 2 weeks back and got 31 for my first tank. If it will ever cool off here, I think I'll get better.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Enthusiast

Wow, 31 on the first tank! Impressive! I'm still fighting the urge to zip off from the red light and slam on the breaks as well. I also have to fight the urge to speed up when some jack a$$ tailgates me and then tries to whip around me. You need a certain amount of "zen" to drive the FEH to it's maximum capability.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I know what you mean. My last vehicle was a Trailblazer and I drove it like a sports car. In Atlanta, if you leave any gap, someone will try to fill it. I have had to start being a more polite driver by allowing people to cut in front of me. Someone passed me on an off ramp by using the emergency lane because I was going only 5 miles ABOVE the speed limit instead of 30. He got a special “wave” from me.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Russ -
What color is your FEH?
My 2006 FWD is white.
Since I got mine I've only seen two other private FEH's here in Houston - one green and one white. However - there is a security company that has a fleet of them here and I've heard that the HPD and the COH have ordered a few, as well.
Have fun!
I'll be keeping an eye out for you.
HyHouston

Old 09-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had a kind of odd experience last night with a Prius owner. I was in upstate NY on route 90(the NYS thruway). I had been at the Syracuse University football game & was returning to Rochester fairly late.

My wife had gotten a call just as we where leaving the game telling her that her brother was in the hospital. He is OK but we didn't know that at the time so we where basically flying back to Rochester. I was going between 75-85 mph when a car came up behind me in the passing lane at a REAL high rate of speed. I immediately moved over to let him by & much to my surprise it was a Prius.

My MOM drives a Prius, so I recognize them immediately. What kind of fuel mileage do you suppose a Prius gets at 90 mph????

~John

Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10

My MOM drives a Prius, so I recognize them immediately. What kind of fuel mileage do you suppose a Prius gets at 90 mph????

~John
It probably still gets 40 mpg Dh is routinely getting 50+ mpg in our new Prius - 3-5 mpg better than our original '04 Prius with no change in his driving.

Lots of hybrid everything around here (DC area) - but we get to drive in the HOV/diamond lanes, so there is a very strong incentive to own one in addition to the tax credit.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hyhouston
Hey Russ -
What color is your FEH?
My 2006 FWD is white.
Since I got mine I've only seen two other private FEH's here in Houston - one green and one white. However - there is a security company that has a fleet of them here and I've heard that the HPD and the COH have ordered a few, as well.
Have fun!
I'll be keeping an eye out for you.
HyHouston
I'm all black (yeah, I know in Houston it gets pretty hot). I just got the front windows tinted so it won't get so hot inside.

I've seen a couple of FEH's around Clearlake where I live. Saw one yesterday that was the light green/titanium color with the silver/gray accents. I see tons of Priuses, though. I also saw a HiHy at EPO (Electronic Parts Outlet, the local geek hangout), but the driver escaped before I could get an ID.

Give me a wave if you see me!

Russ