Grabbing brakes when wet

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Grabbing brakes when wet

I bought a 2007 FEH just before Christmas. I love it so far but was wondering one thing. Has anyone noticed that when the brakes are nice and wet that they grab quite hard right before the vehicle stops rolling? There is a definite difference in braking between dry and wet. I'm wondering if this will go away as the vehicle brakes in more or if there might be some kind of issue with my vehicle.

Thanks!

Dave

Old 01-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Grabbing brakes when wet

Originally Posted by ohiocityprius
I bought a 2007 FEH just before Christmas. I love it so far but was wondering one thing. Has anyone noticed that when the brakes are nice and wet that they grab quite hard right before the vehicle stops rolling? There is a definite difference in braking between dry and wet. I'm wondering if this will go away as the vehicle brakes in more or if there might be some kind of issue with my vehicle.

Thanks!

Dave
Happened to my '06 and several others have posted about it in another thread. The issue I think has to do with the fact that pads are wet from when you parked.... you'll notice as you drive and stop several times it will slowly go away. On a normal car that moisture probably burns off on your first (usually slow) braking while you are backing out, etc. On this car the regen makes that not as likely, so it affects several stops and some of those you are going faster so you feel the grab as the pads engage when the regen finishes. The computer seems to know how to engage those pads with the correct pressure so the transistion is invisible when the pads are dry, but not when they are damp.

If it worries you, one trick you can try is to shift the car into neutral just as you want to stop for that first stop. No regen can occur and you'll burn off the moisture and the problem should be gone for future stops.... It will fade on its own after several stops anyway.

I have 20,000 miles on mine now... same brake pads.... I don't notice it much anymore and can't remember feeling it for quite some time. I suspect that as the pads wear some the "grabbiness" goes away (or you just get used to it).

Either way... its a little disconcerting at first, but I think its pretty normal.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

This is an issue with many cars, not just hybrids. My friends Focus will practically throw you through the windshield on the first brake application after it rains or if the car has sat for a few days.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Someone didn't read the FEH FAQ! (link in signature)

Section II: 9. Why is it after it rains, my brakes get all grabby?

Short answer, because you're not using them. Most of your deceleration, outside of stepping hard on the brakes isn't actually braking, it's the regeneration system taking your motion and turning it back into energy to use, which means that your wet brakes don't get a chance to friction dry when you apply light braking pressure (like in a conventional vehicle), which means your brakes are still wet when they are used when stopping. Wet brakes grab hard, hence the grabbyness.