Ground wire problems and mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ground wire problems and mpg

Originally Posted by GaryG
You said you like a long coast to a stop for better mileage, do not use "L" for that. If you want the longest coast with the best MPG, change the shifter to neutral and lightly press the brake pedal till you go EV at speeds below 40mph. My testing has showed a 38% increase in coasting distance in neutral over "D" coasting from 40mph to 0mph. Neutral coasting with the ICE off (EV) is the best way I know to save gas. Letting off the gas pedal in "L" will recharge the battery the quickest, but you have to stop ("L" fake shifting) when you notice you don't go EV under 40mph, or the ICE rpm starts to increase. The battery may be full or too cold or too warm if this happens, but there is no harm to the vehicle.
Hmmm... If you are applying the brake to get down to 40mph and you are in N, then isn't that small amount of energy wasted as heat since regen won't be active in N. Is it you experience that the technique you describe above is better than say: Coast in D or L until 40MPH is reached and then double tap to shut off the ICE and switch to N? Or maybe even just coast in "L" until the ICE cuts off by itself around 40MPH and then switch to N the rest of the way?

I figure you have probably tried all of those.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Gary says his car coasts better in N than in D with deadband conditions... that is, no arrows going anywhere at all on the screen.

I have very carefully measured, with chalk lines on the road and with many attempts and my 2005 FEH coasts exactly the same in D as in N... as long as I hold my foot on the gas pedal about 2mm to prevent regen.

All we know for sure is N coasting cuts out the regen.
But also, pressing the gas pedal very softly... not enough to accelerate... will also cut out all regen. ( you need a NAV display to do this experiment )

So without more people trying this, ( please do if you have the time ) we have a few possibilities.

#1 Gary's car coasts better in N than most others for some reason

#2 My car coasts better in D than most others for some reason

#3 We are accomplishing the same thing, by two different methods.

I think shifting to N is a lot easier, and a "sure thing" to cut out the regen.
It is more difficult to "get it just right" with your foot... so it is my belief that the N coasting appears to be better simply for this reason.

I use a combo of both. When I'm by myself, or see a long downgrade, I'll shift to N to coast, so I can relax my foot. When I have passengers, or it is just a coast of a block or less, I deadband coast.... in a "simulated" neutral using my foot on the gas pedal. By all descriptions, and with over a year of practice... I'm getting the same results as Gary without quite as much shifting all the time.

Just FYI, and please try it on your own and report back! Thanks!
-John

Old 01-16-2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Hmmm... If you are applying the brake to get down to 40mph and you are in N, then isn't that small amount of energy wasted as heat since regen won't be active in N. Is it you experience that the technique you describe above is better than say: Coast in D or L until 40MPH is reached and then double tap to shut off the ICE and switch to N? Or maybe even just coast in "L" until the ICE cuts off by itself around 40MPH and then switch to N the rest of the way?

I figure you have probably tried all of those.
Tim, the only time I use the brakes in "N", is when the battery cannot take a charge and I must slow down. The only time I use "D" for coasting is, when I need to slow down a little at a time and the battery can take a small amount of regen. The only times I drive in "D" is for steady state (maintaining) speeds or acceleration. There are two reasons I use "L", for regen if the battery is not full and to go EV or both. If I don't have to maintain speed for traffic, I'm in a Pulse and Glide mode with "D" accelerating and "N" for gliding. This can be on the freeway at 70mph or in EV under 40mph.

Most of the time, I time stoplights without the brakes in EV, and use "N" or "L" back and forth for speed control. This help me maintain the fastest speed if the light turns green again or get the max regen if I need to stop or slowdown. Remember, most of the time my battery is low and will accept a rapid charge with "L" regen. I find what little regen in "D" you get is only above 27mph in EV, so "D" is very seldom used my me coming to a stop or coasting. When I say regen in "D" above 27mph in EV, it's because below 27mph, the regen arrow disappears on the energy screen when you let off the gas pedal.

GaryG