Has anyone's transmission mechanically failed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Has anyone's transmission mechanically failed?

Originally Posted by hondarider90
The only ones I've heard of being replaced were back in the "dark ages" of like 2008 and before when no dealers had any idea what was going on, I doubt any were true mechanical failures either. That being said, it would be interesting to hear from someone that had one with an actual failure.
Once Ford made the AWD system fully automatic, no driver control capability, thereby severely LIMITING actual "AWD" functionality, the drive line component, primarily the PTO, failure rate declined precipetously.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by hondarider90
I ask because I am a little harder on my truck than most but I know they are pretty durable even in New York City driving. Just wanting to know how guilty I should feel for offroading with it. I haven't found anything on the internet showing the transmission has mechanical weakness.
The FEH "transmission" (Toyota PSD type CVT) consists primarily of a relatively simple planetary gear set, 2 multi-phase (3) motor/generators along with the solid state inverter/rectifiers for "driving" them, so the failure record for actual "mechanical" failures will be rather sparse.

Most Escape driveline component failures, primarily an overheated PTO, preceded the FEH.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I don't think the basic operation of the planetary gear set transmission has changed since the introduction of the 2005 - only the electronics, CPU controls, and engine (not counting the body style change in 2008 - mechanical components, I mean).

I think the basics of the AWD system are unchanged over the years as well.
No, looking back throughout the life of the Escape "4WD/AWD" system there were numerous changes made to the "AWD" electronic control components, control firmware, and even the base "AWD" mechanical design as well. During one "AWD" design period there was a thermostat in use to forewarn the driver of impending failure due to overheating of driveline component(s). The instructions to the driver in that event was that the Escape should be pulled to the side of the road and allowed to cool.

All that is likely well behind us, the FEH, since Ford has now chosen to make the Escape "AWD" system mostly non-functional for the majority of owners actually requiring, having actual need, for such functionality.

The era of ABS/TC/VSC is now upon us, not at all a bad thing, just not adequate to supplant the NEED for AWD.

Last edited by wwest; 02-08-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:42 PM

There is a series of videos on Youtube that shows a teardown of the transmission. Check this out.

Not saying they can't be broke if you abuse them but as was already said, you don't hear anyone on here saying theirs broke.....

Old 02-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've seen that one before. They didn't do a full transmission tear down though, just the electrical portion.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
$10,000 to anyone that you can produce a post of mine that conclusively makes that case.

Otherwise Billyk24 must be presumed to be a blatant LIER (sic)!

Or an IDIOT, your choice.
You really have to appreciate the sheer irony of this post.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by GatorJ
You really have to appreciate the sheer irony of this post.
Or consider the source, sigh and move on.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
No, looking back throughout the life of the Escape "4WD/AWD" system there were numerous changes made to the "AWD" electronic control components, control firmware, and even the base "AWD" mechanical design as well. During one "AWD" design period there was a thermostat in use to forewarn the driver of impending failure due to overheating of driveline component(s). The instructions to the driver in that event was that the Escape should be pulled to the side of the road and allowed to cool.

All that is likely well behind us, the FEH, since Ford has now chosen to make the Escape "AWD" system mostly non-functional for the majority of owners actually requiring, having actual need, for such functionality.

The era of ABS/TC/VSC is now upon us, not at all a bad thing, just not adequate to supplant the NEED for AWD.
I've just got to call B.S. on that. I was a skeptic of the computerized AWD systems. I'm a big fan of the old school NP203 all wheel drive transfer cases in the 70's era pickup trucks. I'd remained convinced that's the best possible AWD system, with the ability to manually lock the transfer case when conditions warrant.

I know there are many bad implementations of AWD, just like there are good anti-lock programs and bad anti-lock programs. The most common complaint is late engagement, with the secondary wheels not kicking in until after the primary drive wheels have already stopped slipping.

When I bought the Escape, I figured my F350 would remain the vehicle of choice in the worst conditions because of its "true" four wheel drive system. I just figured the Escape would let me have good fuel mileage most of the time, leaving me with at least some improvement over a 2WD car when caught off guard or on marginal days. I figured I'd drive my tuck in the truly bad snow or ice.

Now that I have a Escape AWD, I don't feel that way AT ALL. I've had it on mild to nasty frost from freezing fog, freezing rain, mud, packed snow in the sun, little bid of snow and snow so deep it was dragging the undercarriage. So far I've not been disappointing. I'm pretty attuned to what the vehicle is doing, and Ford got the software right. I've yet to perceive that the front end is breaking lose before the rear end like so many AWD systems will do. I love that in the light frost I can have the system kick in on demand. In my truck I won't put it in 4WD in those conditions because I'm worried about driveline windup. That leaves me at the risk of slipping on bad spots before I can slam it into 4WD. About the only thing I wish it had was a limited slip rear end.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Imported from Detroit

Interesting video here on AWD comparison.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew B
I've just got to call B.S. on that. I was a skeptic of the computerized AWD systems. I'm a big fan of the old school NP203 all wheel drive transfer cases in the 70's era pickup trucks. I'd remained convinced that's the best possible AWD system, with the ability to manually lock the transfer case when conditions warrant.

I know there are many bad implementations of AWD, just like there are good anti-lock programs and bad anti-lock programs. The most common complaint is late engagement, with the secondary wheels not kicking in until after the primary drive wheels have already stopped slipping.

When I bought the Escape, I figured my F350 would remain the vehicle of choice in the worst conditions because of its "true" four wheel drive system. I just figured the Escape would let me have good fuel mileage most of the time, leaving me with at least some improvement over a 2WD car when caught off guard or on marginal days. I figured I'd drive my tuck in the truly bad snow or ice.

Now that I have a Escape AWD, I don't feel that way AT ALL. I've had it on mild to nasty frost from freezing fog, freezing rain, mud, packed snow in the sun, little bid of snow and snow so deep it was dragging the undercarriage. So far I've not been disappointing. I'm pretty attuned to what the vehicle is doing, and Ford got the software right. I've yet to perceive that the front end is breaking lose before the rear end like so many AWD systems will do. I love that in the light frost I can have the system kick in on demand. In my truck I won't put it in 4WD in those conditions because I'm worried about driveline windup. That leaves me at the risk of slipping on bad spots before I can slam it into 4WD. About the only thing I wish it had was a limited slip rear end.
It is best to ignore wwest (you can add him to an ignore list in your profile). Unfortunately I see his stuff when other people quote him. His "information" on the FEH is questionable at best. Apparently wwest has a Toyota Prius, but he is a troll on many forums that I follow. He has never owned an FEH, and has no practical knowledge of our vehicle. (wwest, if you are reading this, feel free to reply, but be advised I won't see it)

In this case he is apparently confusing the FEH AWD with the all electric rear wheels of the Toyota HH, which do in fact overheat if used too much.

There is no warning about overheating in my 2008 owners manual, and I can tell you from experience that the AWD system is very good. I often wish it did not always come on from a full stop, but it does - it is not like other "AWD" systems that only engage when the front wheels slip. It has programming to use in situations other than just front wheel slip. I don't know that I believe the Ford literature that says it engages selectively at highway speeds around corners, which was briefly in their advertising a few years ago.

Quick Reply: Has anyone's transmission mechanically failed?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands