Has anyone's transmission mechanically failed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Has anyone's transmission mechanically failed?

Originally Posted by stevedebi
In this case he is apparently confusing the FEH AWD with the all electric rear wheels of the Toyota HH, which do in fact overheat if used too much.

There is no warning about overheating in my 2008 owners manual, and I can tell you from experience that the AWD system is very good. I often wish it did not always come on from a full stop, but it does - it is not like other "AWD" systems that only engage when the front wheels slip. It has programming to use in situations other than just front wheel slip. I don't know that I believe the Ford literature that says it engages selectively at highway speeds around corners, which was briefly in their advertising a few years ago.
The Ford Workshop Manual on 4WD/AWD is one in the same for FE/FEH. I don't have access to all shop manuals like I did in the past years so I can't cut/paste for prove the following.

For a number of years the manual state that the system may overheat and go into a full lock condition and your supposed to let the vehicle idle for period to cool down. There's nothing in the owner's manual about this or how the owner the would know that the condition is happening. If it did go into a full 100% lockup, you'd notice hard steering as it would want to go straight and wheel hop if on dry hard pavement.

Not only this but since there is only a single two wire cable going to the rearend to operate the clutch, nothing else, no sensor, nothing in the electrical diagrams so how does it know that it's overheated????

Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Page 214 in the 2005 FEH owners manual has a reference to the question(s)/statement(s) in the previous post(s). We will leave it at that.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Billyk24
Page 214 in the 2005 FEH owners manual has a reference to the question(s)/statement(s) in the previous post(s). We will leave it at that.
Not done yet! There's nothing in the 2008 FEH/2009 FE owner's manuals, only up to 2007 FEH.

Something is mentioned in the 2009 Workshop Manual but really isn't there electrically. You do have 2005 Workshop Manual and probably the electrical diagram for the 2005 FEH, look it up, cut/paste the text and the electrical diagram showing a temperature sensor in the rear differential.

If one looks at an earlier post by wwest, he states that earlier Escapes had some kind of temperature monitoring of driveline components. You could actually verify his statement as being correct, if your man enough to eat some crow???

Old 02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
Not done yet! There's nothing in the 2008 FEH/2009 FE owner's manuals, only up to 2007 FEH.

Something is mentioned in the 2009 Workshop Manual but really isn't there electrically. You do have 2005 Workshop Manual and probably the electrical diagram for the 2005 FEH, look it up, cut/paste the text and the electrical diagram showing a temperature sensor in the rear differential.

If one looks at an earlier post by wwest, he states that earlier Escapes had some kind of temperature monitoring of driveline components. You could actually verify his statement as being correct, if your man enough to eat some crow???

This is some kind of a joke.
If you can eat some crow, you will ask Mr. West to provide just such detailed information. Mr. West does not have a FEH or service manual yet he posts without providing such information or statistical evidence backing his statements.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Imported from Detroit

This is some kind of a joke.
If you can eat some crow, you will ask Mr. West to provide just such detailed information. Mr. West does not have a FEH or service manual yet he posts without providing such information or statistical evidence backing his statements.
No joke at all and you even brought it up. I guess your not man enough to look it up, you have the books, man up! Maybe he can't provide the info but you can but I doubt if you will, why? If I still had Oasis access, I would look at <2008 FEH manuals and electrical diagrams. I'd have no problem with that but being that it's wwest, you couldn't say that he was correct, could you?

I don't have a FEH either but the two Workshop Manual volumes cover both FE/FEH.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Cheapskate

Originally Posted by wptski
being that it's wwest, you couldn't say that he was correct, could you?
Well, statistically, based on past threads/posts, calling wwest wrong is a pretty safe bet.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by elborak
Well, statistically, based on past threads/posts, calling wwest wrong is a pretty safe bet.
Could be but in this case BillyK24 brought up the Owner's manual point so let's see him go all the way. I doubt if he does as he'd hate to be the one that proves him correct!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Your scanguage friends have proven Mr. West wrong on this point. When are you going to call Mr. West out for what he is?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Imported from Detroit

Your scanguage friends have proven Mr. West wrong on this point. When are you going to call Mr. West out for what he is?
If you'd use quotes, maybe we'd know who your addressing to!

When are you going to compare what you stated is on Page #214 of your owner's manual to what's in your 2005/6 Workshop Manual and Electrical Diagram Manual? Do the two agree? Disprove or prove what wwest stated about temperature control of the drivetrain in past Escapes. Anything less than a actual copy/paste from the actual manual isn't acceptable.

A lack of response at this point means that wwest is correct.

Last edited by wptski; 02-17-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

A lack of response at this point means that wwest is correct.

A lack of response at this point means Mr. West remains incorrect. It is up to Mr. West to provide documentation and statistical evidence to back up his statements. His statements do not match what I have seen in both the 05 and 06 Ford Workshop manuals that I have. Mr. West remains clueless on statistical evidence and it is extremely doubtful that you are capable of providing him any help with this matter either.

Quick Reply: Has anyone's transmission mechanically failed?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands