Heated Seat suggestion for Ford

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Heated Seat suggestion for Ford

Okay. One good reason already!

I was thinking it might be like the electric blankets that are 15w for low, 30w for medium, and 45w for high. They just run all the time, with maybe a safty cutoff on the high side.

If the FEH only cuts "off" when it gets "too high" with a dimmer, it would never get "too high" and just might run continuously at a lower temperature.

I think you should try it! I would if I could!
-John

Old 01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
I don't know if that is controlled by a thermostat or just some sort of timer. If it's a thermostat, ....
I'm pretty sure I read it's a thermostat. That would also explain why they don't get real hot if you turn them on when it's 90º outside.

~John

Old 01-16-2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
I've never seen a vehicle with the seat heater switches NOT located on the dash or center console. Lazy and cheap is the only explanation here.
Even on my Cherokee, Jeep put the switches in what should have been the console's ash tray lid. Of course, doing this, one lost the ash tray, but I don't smoke. However, having both switches easily viewable and reachable, was a much better design.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:35 PM

BTW, the wiring diagram for heated seats is in the on-line Modifiers Guide. Why that particular wiring diagram out of all the possible ones was put in there, I have no idea. But it is.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:43 PM

At least the switch is on the dash, can't imagine anyone thinking of anyother place to put one! But I liked the seats in my Freestar better (similar to the Edge's heated seats), there was a low/high on the switch, and it automaticly turned off after like 10 min. But on was on, unlike the cycling in the FEH. Altho I haven't had many very cold days to try it out, I occasionaly turn it on below 40 if it feels really cold out. The colder it is, the warmer & longer it seems to warm, so I have to agree it's a thermostat control vs a timer. Wonder if it's connected to the auto climate control as well?

Old 01-16-2008, 05:49 PM

Well, I rarely use it....only on real cold mornings and only until I get the seat toasty. Then its off. My wife on the other hand, uses it constantly. I always have to check the seat after she's been in it.

I loved the seats in my old (2001) Grand Cherokee. They were super comfy and had high/low settings for the seats right in the dash. In my wife's Passat, the switches are on the dash and have settings from off-5 which gives a nice range of temps. Unfortunately the seats are really uncomfortable for me.